35-point Mercy Rule

Mr. Grady

35-point Mercy Rule

Post by Mr. Grady »

It's time to renew the debate on the merits of the 35-point mercy rule because some of you with kids playing this season may experience what I lived through and have some similar thoughts.

For all the talk about how it is in place to mitigate potential hurt feelings (I.e. it's somehow better for everyone if a team loses 35-0 in essentially three quarters than clearing the benches and having it end 42-7 over four) what it really harms is the 3rd string players who now get one series of action when they may have got an entire quarter in the past.

I had a son who was a reserve and he saw significant playing time in a mop up role when he played 10 years ago. He was fortunate to be on the winning side of some blowouts but he was also on the losing end of one as well. The best part as a parent is that he played a significant amount of minutes during his senior year and for better or worse I hoped for 35-0 wins or 35-0 losses just to see him play more. Today, he wouldn't have that luxury. Rather that 20~30 snaps over three or four series he would be lucky to get six or eight over one or two series.

It's a shame an unintended consequence of the rule will be the less talented player's own playing experience being truncated so coaches ego's can be managed and refs can get out of Dodge and to their dates faster.
HSFBFANMAN

Re: 35-point Mercy Rule

Post by HSFBFANMAN »

I say get rid of it. It serves no purpose. You are supposed to remember those defeats and work harder to improve and prevent losses. I am so tired of this liberal B.S. that children need to be "given" self respect. Self respect is earned and life's hard knocks are there so you improve!

Also your point is excellent in that it deprives playing time to 2nd string and below players.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Nobody has fun playing garbage time.

Keep the rule, not to mitigate hurt feelings but to prevent the game from lasting longer than it actually needs to.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Luca

Post by Luca »

Both coaches have to agree to a running clock, don't they?........Luca
mar595

Post by mar595 »

You are wrong. As the first poster pointed out, there are kids that never get much play time. They enjoy being on the field no matter what the score is, so to say nobody enjoys it is wrong.

I agree that there should not be a required running clock. If both coaches agree to it when the game gets out of hand, then so be it, but allow the kids to play if the coaches want to continue. It gets play time for the bench players for both sides.

Another positive of continuing is coaches should learn how to win gracefully as well as lose gracefully, because the kids need to learn this too.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

The coaches/AD need to do a better job scheduling to avoid such situations.
Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick »

Luca wrote:Both coaches have to agree to a running clock, don't they?........Luca
Only in the first 3 quarters. Out of coaches hands at the start of the 4th....

Per CIF:
1. During the 1st three quarters, by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the
referee, a “running clock” may be used if the point differential between the two teams
reaches 35 or more;
2. If at the start of the 4TH QUARTER or at any time during the 4TH QUARTER, the point
differential is 35 or more points, a running clock shall be used for the remainder of the
contest;
3. Once the “running clock” is in effect during the 4th quarter, it shall remain in effect for the
balance of the contest, even if the team that is behind subsequently scores to make the
deficit less than 35 points
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

You are wrong. As the first poster pointed out, there are kids that never get much play time. They enjoy being on the field no matter what the score is, so to say nobody enjoys it is wrong.

I agree that there should not be a required running clock. If both coaches agree to it when the game gets out of hand, then so be it, but allow the kids to play if the coaches want to continue. It gets play time for the bench players for both sides.

Another positive of continuing is coaches should learn how to win gracefully as well as lose gracefully, because the kids need to learn this too.
I was one of those kids that never got much playing time and I hated garbage time. It was embarrassing to be on the field when it no longer mattered.

It was much more enjoyable being on the field when it felt like I earned it and it mattered to the team.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Mr. Grady .. I completely agee until the last half of the last sentence. You're just flat out wrong on that one. Stay focused on the issue which is the rule not what you think some people are thinking. ](*,)
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

Keep the rule.
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

Plain and simple, the rule is in place for coaches who don't know how to not run up the score (my English teachers would hate the double negative). Some people just seem to lack something (brains, skill, class, whatever) and need a rule in place to keep the score from getting out of control. It was hard enough in some games to get backup kids in for enough time and to run enough plays with normal rules, now with the running clock those same kids get a handful of plays on offense and the game is over.

I've been on both sides of a blowout and can't recall having problems with the score. The team that is up puts in subs when they feel the game is won, and the other team can play whomever they want. We generally only run the ball when up, but will let the back up QB and WRs get a chance to catch a hitch or bubble
Bick

Post by Bick »

Can't stand the "mercy" rule...didn't like it in Pop Warner...don't like it in HS.

So a rule gets put in place because a few jerk coaches need to win by 100? What a shock. We need to make sure to "protect" our poor little guys so they don't get their egos bruised. Nanny state at its finest.

I hear where you're coming from Noto...I truly get it. But there were plenty of kids who just wanted to play in a game- any game - especially after working their butts off all summer long. Denying them that so they won't have the possibility of being on the wrong end of a blowout is a joke.

What's shakin' TT? I'm over in the Sunset now.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Remove the rule.

Based on my experience with boards like this the majority of readers are sportswriters, parents of starters like Luca and assistant HS coaches. This issue appeals to the majority of fans who aren't on these boards and only want to se their kids play.

Let's get rid of the pretexts. This abominable rule was adopted by adults for the benefit of adults. It has nothing to do with punishing coaches who don't know how to not run up the score or preventing kids from crying, but to (1) save losing coaches the embarrassment of a 49-0 defeat by keeping It as a "more respectable" 35-0 loss and (2) allowing the refs and other non-stakeholders to get out of Dodge sooner.

Remember the only people who want the game to end sooner than later are the trainers (who know fewer plays means fewer injuries and less work),sportswriters, bus drivers who know its more fun to leave a venue and get on with one's Friday night life at 9:30 rather than 10, school administrators who may not give a hoot about football, stupid self-centered coaches who would rather lose 35-0 than lose 42-7 with their third stringers seeing action, and school staffers assigned security or scoreboard duty. Oh, and refs, who like bus drivers, want to get out of there sooner than later. What are their numbers? 20, 40 or 50? Out of 5,000? Who lends input to rules like this? Its not the parents of 2nd, 3rd or 4th stringers it's coaches, school administrators, respected writers and other stakeholders and referees. So, Mr. Zebra, I welcome your rebuttal.

Coaches who are up 21-0 want the game to end. Coaches who are down 21-0 and know they are destined for a loss, want the game to end. To imply that they give a hoot about their team and their third stringer's "experience, which they should but they don't, flies in the face of reality as they really want wins and "good losses" above all else. Trust me. I was a former HS coach and a parent. I've experienced both sides of this.

Do you really think Harry Welch or Bob Johnson will somehow become nicer men due to the mercy rule or that their kids will somehow become better sportsmen because of it? Heck no. Kids don't reflect on sportsmanship. It's adults who use terms like "show class". Kids on campus say, I want to beat MD or MV and if we beat them 100-0 all the better. Do you think Carson's player were emotionally distressed by a 72-0 loss to SM last year? Do you think if SM would have drove the Colts have scored 80 under the pre-2012 rules would have drove the Colts to the asylum? Did you know they came out the next week and scored 24 against Corona Centennial and then went on a six-game winning streak? Do you Mercy Rule believers really somehow think that if Carson lost 80-0 or 87-0 under the old rules then Nolan would have been fired and they wouldn't have won six in a row? Really???

Remove the rule. For the sake of every 3rd and fourth stringer, remove the rule.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Grady, trainers like the game to go on, that is more kids they get to treat, what are you?
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

As long as the kids are not getting beat up, keep playing!
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

... and so do officials. We get paid piecework, by the flag ... j/k. :cheers:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

officials would like to work less, I remember one who insisted a game start even though police and the district super said no due to BB's being shot on the field, GREAT THINKING OFFICIALS, The officials needed to start on time, oh lame are they!
Old School

Post by Old School »

I agree with Grady, except on the referees. I think during blow outs the refs keep the game moving which is fine, but they get that many kids had not played. In fact since parents and boosters pay for their kids to play...It ticks me off to take away the time from kids when it has become a year round sport. Just another example of how some folks do not want to work and do not care who it impacts.

If I am an AD and my team is just running up the score all the time, it is your job to mentor the coach (sorry you have to do some managing) . If I am on the other end as a player or coach, it is a great lesson how not to be...getting humbled it not all bad...
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...
Bick

Post by Bick »

My first real job was with City of Lakewood as a sports official. Great place for a 16 year old to learn to be decisive and not give a darn what people think. Every call...half liked it...half didn't.

We got paid by the game too. I've got to admit...I wasn't too bothered when we went running clock. My perspective has changed a little since then.