OC Varsity Football Preview

Sweetness34

OC Varsity Football Preview

Post by Sweetness34 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

I second the nod for OC Varsity to do better research, I wonder if they toss darts at the board to see who gets a higher ranking.

I wasn't surprised to see Servite ranked in the top 10, but I was surprised to see them as high as 6. It goes to show the county teams beyond 5-6 aren't very strong. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Friars beat Gorman, but still go 4-6 on the year.

I would have given MD the top spot based on balance of returners 7 on offenses and 7 on defense. MV has 3 returners on defense, but 8 on offense. Even though the unknown defensive guys may have potential, preseason rankings aren't based on potentially unknown players which is why everywhere you look MD is higher than MV in polls. Its just makes the OC Varsity less creditable. I don't think you can justify giving Mission the number one spot.

I don't think these guys follow the scene close enough, only Albano trys to keep up with the off-season/summer etc. the rest of the staff follows during the season. Thats the problem. To be creditable, you need to follow year-around. I understand they have other sports, but I don't think they even attempt to and it shows.

Ocrckstar

Re: OC Varsity Football Preview

Post by Ocrckstar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Actually....Mission has a deeper defense than you are aware of and return 5 varsity players on defense (two of them were transfers). The transfer from SM was their best defensive player and the other is 6'3 Marques Caster a two way stud from Foothill HS who plays corner and safety.

The offense speaks for itself with skill players galore. The OL is athletic and experienced along with a center who is arguably the best in the county. The QB is within the top 3, the RB is #1 or #2, the #1 receiver Modster is top 3 with a number of other skilled guys in the receiving corp. The FB is probably the best in the county and the kicker is really good.

I think OCV did a pretty good job. Maybe you are looking through rose colored glasses?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Ho hum...Mission Viejo loaded with stars and transfers will go 10-0 or 9-1 during regular season and then get bounced in the Pac-5 playoffs. We know how this story ends.....

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Kids need to play with each other, just coming together at the end is not positive for them.

Ocrckstar

Post by Ocrckstar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Haha...the good news is MV will have a chance to "come together at the end". Servite and their faithful will be cheering from afar for everyone who plays MD, SM and MV.

Ps. The MV boys are in Maui as we speak "coming together as a team" for a week...Bonding and living with each other...that helps becoming a cohesive unit I would imagine.

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I wish I was "coming together and bonding" in Maui right now...

Luca

Post by Luca » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm

I wonder if everybody here appreciates how much work is involved in profiling every team in Orange County, getting the names right, getting the positions right and ranking them in something resembling a coherent fashion. The Register just ranked what they considered the top 150 high school players in the county. Anybody here want to take a stab at that? I don't think I could make up 150 names at random.

Give some credit where it's due.

So they misstated how many times in a row Mater Dei has beaten Servite. So they didn't do a top 25 list on long snappers. Geez...............Luca

Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

The same argument could be made for MD - 7 returners offensively, Chase Forrest is #2 QB, Jordan Allen is #5 RB, Jonathon Lockett #1 WR and DB, Ben Humphreys #3 WR, Kyle Penniston #1 TE, OL returns 3 starters..

Defense 7 starters Lockett #1 CB, Malik McMorris #11 DL, Ben Humphreys #2 LB, Grant Moore #7 LB, Johnny Johnson #9 DB .. and they have pretty good depth at LBer..

I don't doubt that MV will field a good defense.. I'm talking preseason purposes.. alot of those guys are unknown to most but Im sure we will hear about them come playing time.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Sure hope it works out better this time in Hawaii for MV. The last time MV went to Hawaii two players were sent home before the game for using illegal drugs on the trip.

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 pm

BuckW wrote:Sure hope it works out better this time in Hawaii for MV. The last time MV went to Hawaii two players were sent home before the game for using illegal drugs on the trip.
You are half right Bucky-one player was sent home.

Luca

Post by Luca » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:08 pm

The other was a starter?..........Luca

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm

I think the Mission Viejo Eagles are going to be very good this year.....

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Luca wrote:The other was a starter?..........Luca
Luca- Nah, just a kid that had to get back to pick up his weed from the Santa Margarita coaching staff....

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Dan Patrick wrote:
Luca- Nah, just a kid that had to get back to pick up his weed from the Santa Margarita coaching staff....
:fan:

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Dan Patrick wrote:
If you can't beat'em.....

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Luca said,
Give some credit where it's due.
So they misstated how many times in a row Mater Dei has beaten Servite.
Of course the Register provides welcome coverage, Luca. My point is why add a quantitative line to the story, if you don't even bother to see if it's true?
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

SoCoFb

Post by SoCoFb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 am

Ocrckstar wrote:Actually....The transfer from SM was their best defensive player.....
I'm not sure the Eagle faithful would support your claim. Nick D had a good year, but by no means was he anywhere near more valuable than O'Brien (Safety - U Washington) Mazelowski (SS - Cal Poly) Begg (DE - ASU) Gibbs (#2 tackles in Trinity) or Prenevost (DE/SR).

Bick

Post by Bick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 am

Luca...very well said. Imagine trying to pull all that info together from HS coaches who are in the middle of trying to get their teams ready for the season opener. Heck...some of the new coaches around the county are just getting to know all their kids.

I just like the fact someone is willing to take a stab at it. Gives us something to talk about.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 am

Dan Patrick wrote:
I can't believe that I just put this together, SM fires their two pot dealing coaches and players flee to MV (The Farm.) Let's start a pool on who gets sent home this year, my money is on one of the Eagles transfers getting sent home for drugs.

KeepitFootball

Post by KeepitFootball » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am

Luca,
I believe you have something to do with the medical world. And I'm sure you take pride and responsibility in doing a good job. Not only do you have to study on new cutting edge techniques and info, but you have to insure your information is correct and from a reputable source. No matter how many people involved, this is their job, they chose it (I believe???) and should take pride in what they put out. Even a simple carpenter has, Measure Twice cut once. Check your facts!!
Would I quote any of the writers from the Register as Factual ... NO, and only sometimes entertaining. Again I know in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter, but if you are doing a job do it right, from ditch digging to writing articles with facts in them, to diagnosing an illness (1 in several millions). It is their job after all, not just something they do to fill the day.
Racky