Servite vs. Bishop Gorman

FriarJoe

Servite vs. Bishop Gorman

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 am

Any thoughts on this? Gorman looked okay last week but they were playing one of the top 50 teams in the nation and one of the top 2-3 teams in AZ. Servite does not bring the fire power of that team so I would expect Gorman to look much better this week. I am curious to see what the post Troy Thomas era of Servite football looks like. I think Gorman wins because they are better talent-wise, are playing at home and Servite is still young with a new staff. 35-14 Gorman.

wrestlingfan

Re: Servite vs. Bishop Gorman

Post by wrestlingfan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:43 am

Nothing to predict on the upcoming game (I am superstitious about that) but I saw the AZ team last week against Gorman. I believe Gorman is far better than they appeared in that game. The AZ team was amazing. The three key players (5,22 & 30) were just on another level & gave tremendous performances. That game was fun to watch for everyone except Gorman. My only fear watching that game was that Gorman will be out to prove last week was a fluke.

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 am

I feel Servite comes out strong, with something to prove. I think Gorman will still be down a little from last week.

I still think BG wins, but much closer than most people think.

BG 28
Servite 24.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:04 am

35-21 Servite. Poor tackling by BG will hurt them.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

Servites defense will need to come through, the offense should do ok, but the defense is suspect!

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 am

All things being equal, I would pick the team that has a game under their belts. Usually the greatest improvements are between game 1 and 2. You get a full game film to critique and make adjustments and a full week to implement those adjustments...and I would go with the home team that didn't have to travel to Las Vegas and get use to 100+ degrees.

BG 35 Servite 10

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

I'm going with Servite by 7 points. This is not the same team as last year and Servite will come out with a chip on their shoulder. I'm looking forward to seeing a high powered offense from the Friars. Only worry will be turnovers due to first game of season.
"Forget about the fact that the local Catholic Parochial School kids are now no longer a even a minor contributing factor in the Monarch Football Program but now we have players wearing a God Damn ski mask during a post game interview"

Domingo

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 am

Gorman was missing 5 starters last week - suspended. They are back.

Servite will have to play to a level far beyond what the expectations of this board (and everyone else) have been to compete, let alone win. I believe Servite will play more consistently than last year, and they will not experience the ups and downs of leadership. If Servite wins.... it paints a much different picture of Trinity this year. I am hard pressed to think SJB or MD would beat Gorman.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 am

Tenacious wrote:Gorman was missing 5 starters last week - suspended. They are back.

Servite will have to play to a level far beyond what the expectations of this board (and everyone else) have been to compete, let alone win. I believe Servite will play more consistently than last year, and they will not experience the ups and downs of leadership. If Servite wins.... it paints a much different picture of Trinity this year. I am hard pressed to think SJB or MD would beat Gorman.
So, by your logic, if Servite wins, they will be better than SJB and MD?

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 am

they have had a few others suspended for this game I here, issues on the trip.

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 am

Tenacious wrote:Gorman was missing 5 starters last week - suspended. They are back.

I am hard pressed to think SJB or MD would beat Gorman.
"it is better to remain silent and let others think you're foolish, instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt"

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:32 pm

dont be that guy wrote:
So, by your logic, if Servite wins, they will be better than SJB and MD?
Yeah I'm not understanding that logic either.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Both teams will come out with something to prove. The first quarter is huge in this one. The team that is held in check early will start to doubt that they are as good as they intended to show.

I agree with The Truth. The offense should do well, especially if Gorman's tackling hasn't improved. Andrew Moore's power and stiff arm will cause Gorman some trouble, while Tony Brown and Travis Waller, among others, have the quickness to leave Gorman's defense with arm tackles being their last resort. And maybe we can get Beachley or Lopicolla out in the open. Equanimeous' height should be trouble for Gorman, especially in the red zone.

The defense will have to play a great game, and put the fear of God into Randall Cunningham II. Contain him and be physical with his gangly self.

Last time we visited Gorman, they started the game off with a kickoff return for a TD. They also had one against Mountain Point last week. I hope special teams are ready. I'm hoping for a TD return of our own from Brown or Lopicolla.

Protect the ball boys! No turnovers.

28-21 Servite
Last edited by Lionhunter on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Three other predictions:

CalPreps 31-26 neutral site. (Add three points to Gorman's margin, it is at Gorman).

Ray Brewer (In the Las Vegas Sun): "I saw this movie last year. Same result."
Gorman 37, Servite 10.

Case Keefer (also in the LV Sun) "If Gorman can’t win this one, the results of that six-game national schedule aren’t going to be pretty."
Gorman 28, Servite 20

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Servite is vastly overrated by Calpreps. 31-13.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Servite is vastly overrated by a lot of people at this point. They have spirit and grit but the schedule is too daunting to expect more than 3-4 wins.

Vernster52

Post by Vernster52 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Tenacious posted:

Gorman was missing 5 starters last week - suspended. They are back.

You keep reporting this as fact. Unless you can post where you got this info, I'm going to assume you're talking out yer rectal cavity.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:50 pm

What trip? it was a home game
"Beer is proof that God wanted us all to be happy"- Ben Franklin

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Acid trip?

servitestudent

Post by servitestudent » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Just a heads up, Neil is 100% going to be playing in this game as WR. Travis will be the starting QB.