Bishop Gorman vs. SM

BoscoWillBeBack

Bishop Gorman vs. SM

Post by BoscoWillBeBack »

Whats your take on this guys?

I'm rooting for SM because I want SoCal to represent obviously, but I'm taking the Bishop.

SM has too many starters breaking in and the 6 turnovers against Amat made me cringe

Bishop 31 SM 21
FriarJoe

Bishop Gorman vs. SM

Post by FriarJoe »

I've seen Gorman but not the Eagles. Here is the scouting report on Gorman. They are very big on the lines...both sides of the ball. In particular, their defensive line is very big. I think it will be tough to run in the interior. They seemed a bit aggressive so there are opportunities to fake inside and hit the outside as I saw the ends collapsing quite a bit. The QB is a below average thrower but is fast and a very smooth runner. I would apply pressure to him and not let him make easy passes (as I believe based on the 2 games I've seen easy passes are the only ones he can make). Play tight defense and do not sit there in a soft zone and give him 5 yard easy passes as that is exactly what Gorman wants to do since they know his limitations. They like to roll him out too. He cannot throw the down field ball. They tried to throw a hail mary right before half and he couldn't get it beyond 40-45 yard. Their RBs and WRs are decent...nothing scary. On defense they are big upfront and look solid all around. I didn't see any standout defensive players although the kids they put on the nose and interior tackle spots looked hard to move.
Trinitylguealum

Re: Bishop Gorman vs. SM

Post by Trinitylguealum »

The Eagles were not far off in the Amat game, and Amat will prove out to be better than average. They actually had the lead, even with all of the turnovers in the 4th quarter and couldn't hold it.

Week #2 should be an interesting week, because it will be the biggest leap this team will make as far as maturing and getting better...unfortunately, Bishop Gorman is in town. I look for this to be a competitive game, Costello to play much better, and the defense to shore up as well...

Prediction 28-27 Gorman, but wouldn't be surprised if SM pulls the upset.
scampi

Re: Servite vs. Bishop Gorman

Post by scampi »

:lol: I was waiting for the TT comaprisons - as if you can compare Taft (and Crespi's entire schedule) to Gorman (and Servite's entire schedule). The more petty things aside (helmet stripe, pre-game routine, direction of hut drill), the coaching inexperience may have showed in ways (to be expected), but weren't the vast majority of players starting their first ever varsity game too??? That's a huge factor. Defensively, they did send pressure in passing situations. The overall play calling wasn't terrible (although they really need a better plan of attack in the red zone) and with better execution (less dropped passes, better tackling) they might've actually won against a much bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, experienced team that should've outright destroyed them.
Leatherhead

Post by Leatherhead »

Playthegame wrote:Speaking of coaching, Crespi romped in their opener in a scrape off against Taft...67-0. Miss him yet? Just give it awhile, on a brighter note Nikolas caught a pass for a TD for ND in their opener, and Cody had a great game against UCLA for Nevada, too bad he was the only one...
No and I think that speaks volumes for a coach at a high school running a score up like that 67 - 0!
It shows a lack of character and integrity!
As for Nikolas, Fajardo, Hippo, etc.... They would have stood out regardless!
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

It is very, very hard to score that many points now days with a running clock in the 4th.

Bosco scored in 1 play on their first four drives (or close to it at least). Basically they needed about 4 plays for 28 points. And still ended up with just 40.

You gotta do something extra weird to rack up 67 points.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Grass Vs Turf any advantage for SM? The grass at SJC was looking good a couple of weeks ago...Gaels surface is artificial I beleive...
sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman »

I've seen Bishop Gorman

Bishop Gorman is a friend of mine

Santa margaita is no Bishop Gorman
Last edited by sammy swordsman on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Samy I hope you are wrong...that would leave only Crespi to deliver the SS from the agony of defeat.
Trinitylguealum

Santa margaita is no Bishop Gorman[/quote]
First off, your opinion is worthless, because it was you that said " if Servite loses to Gorman by 4 Td's (lost by 24), I'll drop my Servite season tickets and root for St. Paul" ...Good luck against Mater Dei this week.

Secondly, Servite isn't SM...and Gass ain't no Harry Welch

Third, Harry will have them ready...this game will be much closer than people think
sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman »

TrinityleGueum

Mind If I quote you?

And I am planning on going to some St. Paul games this year starting with next week.
St. Paul is doing everything they can to improve their program including building the nicest on campus football facility in he area.

We should be able to hear the bishop Gorman boat race all the way from Cerritos. Face it Santa Margarita had their 15 minutes of attention, now it will be back to the days of 28 fans showing up on Friday night.
Trinitylguealum

We should be able to hear the bishop Gorman boat race all the way from Cerritos. Face it Santa Margarita had their 15 minutes of attention, now it will be back to the days of 28 fans showing up on Friday night.[/quote]
If 31-8 over the last three years, a CIF & State Division 1 Championship is your idea of "15 minutes" then I guess you are right...We'll see about the Gorman "boat race".
HS FB Fan 37

SM just got JOBBED

Post by HS FB Fan 37 »

Went to overtime tied 31-31 with Bishop Gorman, their D got a stop on the first drive after a bobbled field goal snap from BG. Next drive 3rd down Costello hits a receiver on about the two, and he walks into the end zone and gets hit after he's about a foot into end zone. Ball pops out and refs huddle and call it incomplete. Replay CLEARLY shows it was a TD. Should have been game over. Two missed field goals later for SM and a make for BG and BG wins. Costello sets the all time QB yardage record for SM and Sweet with all time WR record. Sad to see after such a great comeback from them.

On the bright side, Costello seems to have improved from last week. SM (and Servite after beating Poly) will not be walkover games for Bosco and Mater Dei.
Lionhunter

Re: SM just got JOBBED

Post by Lionhunter »

I'm not sure about "clearly" but I think it was a TD. Santa Margarita played a hell of a game. Far better than my Friars did last week. But the game might not have gone to OT. Alize Jones was robbed of a TD in the 3rd quarter, forcing the Gaels to settle for a FG.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
joefutbol

Re: SM just got JOBBED

Post by joefutbol »

SM got jobbed. That was a bad call.
alfaromeofan

Post by alfaromeofan »

Either the refs are all suffering from cataracts or they have it out for Santa Margarita. The refs clearly did everything in their power to rob SM of the win. That overtime touchdown was clearly legitimate and everyone knows it, even the Gorman fans who walked out of that stadium with a look of complete shock on their faces. The refs should be ashamed of themselves. Lets have a round of applause for the refs who were clearly Gorman's most valuable players. If you doubt it, watch the replay on the TV. Its sad when the players work their hearts out only to be punished with poor (and possibly malicious) officiating.
Red

Post by Red »

I watched the game and YES!!!!! the Eagles got robbed! No reason for the stupid REFS to hose the home team. YES! That Ref ought to be ashamed of himself. Good job Eagles! I was getting so irritated with the announcers with their repeated "Bishop Gorman is a national powerhouse" CRAP. They are good but the Eagles exposed a lot of weaknesses for a NATIONAL POWERHOUSE! Did I say NATIONAL POWERHOUSE? Damn the Kyle Sweet is a player!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Horrible call in OT. The referee right next to the catch called it a TD but was overruled by the the ref on the other side of the field 30 yards away. That being said SM still had several chances to win that game. The dropped pass in the endzone on the option pass from Kyle Sweet on 4th and 2 in the second quarter and the two missed field goals were costly. Still a great effort by a young and improving SM team.

Now can all the SM fans convince Coach Welch to reconsider his retirement. His coaching staff did a great job of preparing the team to compete against a much faster and more physical team. As a long time Eagle supporter I would sure hate to see the SM football program return the condition it was in prior to Coach Welch's arrival.

Check out this interview with Fox Sports. Coach Welch leaves door open to coaching again after this season. Jim Hartigan at Jserra better make the playoffs this season or he may just become a full time AD.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/high-schoo ... eedID=3707
kid66

Post by kid66 »

Bishop German is 2 and 0 in the trinity league.

But to say SMHS got robbed is a huge exaggeration. That kid should have held on. That you can't dispute. The wr holds on and its a win for SMHS. The camera crew didn't have the best angle to give the viewer a clear shot.
Red

Post by Red »

I SAW the play. He made the catch with control in the end zone. I agree with John Jackson. He made that catch.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.