Servite at La Mirada

Lionhunter

Servite at La Mirada

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm

After seven straight games as underdog, Servite will be favored to win. How will they handle that? The coaches need to keep the players focused on this weeks opponent, the La Mirada Matadores.

This game has all the ingredients of a classic trap game.

In the words of the player of the game (Travis Waller in the post game interview) the Friars made a statement to all the doubters last week, and "shocked the world."

They had a right to enjoy that win over Poly, but now it's time to look ahead. Yes, look ahead, but not too far ahead. Don't be thinking about Edison. Think about La Mirada.

The Matadores, like Bishop Gorman after losing to Mountain Point, and like Servite after losing to Gorman, and like Santa Margarita after losing to Bishop Amat, will come out of the locker room with something to prove. They will attempt to "shock the world" themselves. They are 0-2, and they don't like it. They are, to quote Coach McGintey, "very dangerous people." Here's a write up from the Whittier Daily News:

http://www.insidesocal.com/whitpreps/20 ... la-mirada/

Friars! Keep your thoughts focused on La Mirada. Shock the world when you can, but it won't mean that much if you don't win the games you are supposed to win.
Last edited by Lionhunter on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Haroof

Re: Servite at La Mirada

Post by Haroof » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Servite wins, won't be close either.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Servite wins this game 35-0, with another breakout performace from one of many gifted athletes.

PinkishMeerkat

Post by PinkishMeerkat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Servite has worked out the kinks and learned a lot from their past two games, including how to win. The victory over Poly won't mean anything if they don't win this game. Servite didn't accomplish much, only showed others what they already knew, their goal is to win and keep winning. Don't expect them to come out soft. La Mirada confirmed that they will wear black and white, Servite's colors, during the game Friday, just as they wore La Habra's colors the week before. Blatant acts of disrespect in my mind. Servite's coming, and there is no question, Ma Mirada can't hang.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Servite is taking this game very seriously. They haven't accomplished anything yet. Last year they knocked off RC and look how that season ended up. Besides, Poly starts slow, which is why I said Servite stood a strong chance of beating them.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Damn, for Swervite to beat a highly ranked Poly team , especially after all the critisizm... is awesome.
They are really a force to be reckoned with. :thumbsup:

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Servite's coaching staff are making great adjustments as they get closer to league.

mrfoxtruckdriver

Post by mrfoxtruckdriver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Waller to brown and brown huge game Servite by 40, epic

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 am

GHOGH wrote:Servite's coaching staff are making great adjustments as they get closer to league.
They better be. Considering that DLS is coming up and it looks like league is brutal as always, they need to crush a poor LM team and stay healthy doing so.

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 am

I just drop in every once in a while, so maybe I missed something, but where the heck is edac?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 am

I am not so certain this is a blowout game. La Mirada has lost to what appears to be 2 pretty good teams. La Habra appears to be back this year and Tesoro looks to be better than expected. La Habra had to fight off La Mirada to hold on for that close win last week so La Mirada has shown it can compete with a good team. There is something about this Servite team that gives me the feeling that while they may be able to compete with some of the best, they will not be dominating in the sense that they will just steamroll a middle tier team like Mater Dei or Bosco would. I think it is because Servite is not physically big or extraordinarily physically dominant. Rather they have some athletes that can make plays and play good team defense, which isn't a recipe to just roll over middle of the road teams. I think a scrappy team like La Mirada will give them a run for their money, especially when they get super-hyped to play a Pac-5 power like the Friars. I think Servite wins it but it will be closer than some think...31-21 sounds about right.

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 am

IMO Servite needs to win by improved play and discipline. The confidence and execution against Poly were light years beyond how they performed in NV, but still the basic mistakes were made - personal fouls, delays of game, etc. Can't do this moving forward. If Servite controls this game in a disciplined manner, beware Trinity. Servite can be a very good, (and is a) well conditioned team. And, IMO is just realizing their potential. Keep Waller healthy!!

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 am

I'm expecting a good game for both teams. I expect Servite to keep it simple. The biggest difference between the Gorman game and the Poly game was play calling. They ran Travis more and got other backs involved earlier. The defense needs to be more aggressive and attack.

Servite still has top players like Tavi and Sammy Duarte waiting in the wings. I think they will be available come Trinity League play, that adds a whole different dimension to the team. But the coaching staff has to stay cool and confident with their play calling... that's the key to the season.

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Good assessment. Who's calling plays? I like that Duarte and Tavi (Duarte for sure) are back for the MD game. It will be interesting to see how both are added to the mix. So, is the HC of HS football really not that complicated a job, or does Gass fit well in the program? It is good to see the same kids from last year respond this year. BTW - hut drill was back to the old mix, and I like the stripe in honor of Fr Ed. Not sure about the eight bells in silence. I understand the meaning, but it needs a better introduction. Better than the bp's for sure!

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Friar Joe, Swervite should proceed with caution this week, Why.....
La Mirada Has Bosco Prep 5th year seniors on their roster and finally found out they were there.
Before the season began, ALL the top colleges in the country were drooling over,
Kevin Dillmann QB
Dallis Todd wr
Tyler Latua TE/de
Michael Trani , OT
Nofo Tii, OT
Mike Mochetti did a great job with social media, and HYPE. If they continue to improve, they could upst the Friars. ALLA Poly??? :-k

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:32 am

I didn't know you can change jersey colors like that. Maybe La Mirada is on to something.....

Wait, did they only do that this year (copying the home colors of the opposing team)? Well I'm sure their record will speak for.....oh wait.... :-k
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

I'm not sure who's calling the plays, either Terry or Kalil.

Honestly as far as who the HC is, it's all about his staff. A good staff is better than a one good head coach anyday.

scampi

Post by scampi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm

I don't think anyone should expect a blowout. Both teams have a lot to prove. I'd love to see Servite light it up, but as it's been mentioned, La Mirada has a very good QB and some dangerous offensive weapons too.

I'm just laughing at the coaching assessment thus far... Those of you who will put all/most of the blame on Coach Gass when they struggle (not his players and staff, or the strength of the opposition) and go on and on about what a "big mistake" it was to hire a rookie HC in the mighty Trinity League, that "he doesn't know what he's doing", the "program is doomed", they'll get "out-coached in 9 of 10 games" blah, blah, blah. But when they do very well (i.e. mount a huge upset against a major powerhouse), the guy gets very little credit. Then all-of-a-sudden being a HC maybe "isn't that complicated", it's "all about the staff", the other team (Poly) "always struggles to start the season", blah, blah, blah. :lol: It's amusing to say the least.

There is a long season ahead and many variables at play, but one thing is for sure - some the "Friar Faithful" on here will be all over the map, and the trolls with an agenda will crawl out at the most obvious times.

Kauaicoffee

Post by Kauaicoffee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Well, JV and freshmen teams both beat La Mirada handily. Let's hope for a clean sweep.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Some good points Scampi. I had the same reaction about the blame/credit thing.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.