The Black is Back

joefutbol

Re: The Black is Back

Post by joefutbol » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 am

I, too, was referencing a comedic actor. I've never heard of u tube, but here is a YouTube video for you --

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 am

I can certainly recall the old days of the Angelus league where Marion Ancich would
year after year go on record with the newspapers how St Paul was no match for MD
or any other high school team. Every team was sooo much bigger and faster and talented, while SP had nothing but small guys with no talent, yet they would kick everyone's butt year after year. Was it mind games or good coaching or both?

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm

I kinda like that Servite is under the radar. Don't get me wrong, I liked the run we had a few years ago when we got all this National attention, but I don't know. I just like that silent assassin mode, ya know? All these powerhouses, then a school is beating all these powerhouses.

Ah well. Who knows. Edison looks like fun.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Servite should beat Edison, and by two TD's if they play as they are capable maybe more. This is an important game as it will show everybody if the Black is back!

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Rvoltes5,

You can forget that "under the radar" mode. That ship has sailed. Despite all the prophesies of doom, and despite Watchersince68's sarcasm, people are beginning to realize that they may have sold this team a little short.

OC Top 10 : 4th last week, this week maybe 3rd?
La Times : 13th in the southland.
CalHi : 8th in Ca.
USA Today : 18th in Ca., 90th in the nation.
CalPreps and MaxPreps : 19th in Ca., 117th in the nation.
Rivals : 7th in Ca., 64th in the nation.
Golden state Preps : 22nd in Ca. last week. This week?

Yes, we've only played 3 games, but it appears that many impartial observers now believe that the Black Attack is indeed back...and we didn't even share our Kool-Aid with them. :mrgreen:
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Legit question: Do you think Servite is better than SM? SM has a worse record, but clearly had a better performance against BG (only similar opponent.) Servite beat Poly, that's huge because of Poly's performance last weekednd against CC. So who is better?

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 pm

DBTG (can I answer?) I believe Servite is headed towards the Pitman era when "if" Servite's D can hold to 17-24 points or less, Servite wins. Servite has the tools to score on any D, and (IMO) can score more than 24. As well, the kicker is strong, so pressure if off the O to score 7 every series (unlike Poly). Now, let's see how Servite's D evolves over the next 3 games with players returning/eligible. There will be considerable improvement for sure.

As for SM versus Servite, I give SM the edge for now. Servite has plenty of room for discovery and improvement with a new coach and players; whereas, SM knows what they have right now. Servite doesn't seem to have opened their playbook, and have an opportunity to really solidify their D. For that matter, I will stick with Servite fighting for #3, #4 spot, most likely #4. It will take more than "under the radar" to win a spot in the playoffs. How do you discount SJB, MD, SM as the expected three. I also believe SJB must implode, or weaken before Servite has a shot. Stick to building for next year; be happy with the success of the program thus far; and, thank the kids for every new success to come (that's my take).

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Excellent question. Don't know the answer. I have felt all along that Servite, Santa Margarita, and J Serra are all capable of beating each other on any given night. (Maybe O Lu belongs in there too).

This year's Friar team, is not the kind to impose their will on anyone by sheer physicality. There have been Friar teams that could run off 80 yard drives and not need to throw more than 1 or 2 passes. You had the feeling that if Servite was the better team they would win 90% - 95% of the time. This team is more balanced and has many ways to beat you. But inherent to this type of offense, is the fact that if you're on, you could beat DLS, but if you have an off night, you could lose to Westminster. (No offense to the Lions, who did beat us the last time we played).

Getting back to your question, the Friars appear to be better balanced, which, of course, couldn't be seen in passing leagues. SM has thrown for far more yardage than Servite, and more TDs (9 to 4). But Costello also has nine times as many interceptions as Waller (9-1), and is completing 51.7% of his passes, to 61.8% for Waller. Also, it seems that if you stop Sweet, you stop the Eagles. Of course that is easier said than done.

SM did do much better than Servite against Gorman. Of course it was Servite's first game and we found out what needed work in that very game, while SM found out what they needed to work on before Gorman...in the Amat game.

All of this means little. We won't really know the answer to your question until after they meet a month from now.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Whoever is the healthiest when they play....will win. Right now, SM seems to have more injuries than Servite.

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Great comments! Okay, here's some more to ponder. I really like how Servite Coaches and kids are figuring out their strengths/weaknesses. Gass seems to have surrounded himself with a good staff, in particular the new Off Coordinator. He appears to have an excellent feel for setting up plays, but it takes discipline from the players as well. I liked that against LM they went high to the corners with their receivers. Then, they pounded inside with #3. They also were able to cut the corners with that little speedster. I really don't think they have tapped 50% of their potential on O. In the meantime, shore up the D with a couple more studs that are due back, and who knows? The key to this next game is... does Servite continue to improve in discipline and physicality on D, or take a step back (regardless of win)? Servite must dominate this next game on D to be ready for DLS and Trinity. A DLS/MD back to back on a bye for MD??? Before the season, I would given the advantage to MD coming off a bye. Now, I say it may benefit Servite to prepare two weeks for DLS and play MD right after. This season has the potential to be very exciting and crazy for Trinity!

watchersince68

Stupidest post ever!

Post by watchersince68 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

Tripp McNeilly said my "The Black is Back" post is the stupidest post ever. Yet in today's register Steve Fryer thought enough about it to plagiarize me in the Steve Fryer on Football section.

Hey Steve next time you steal someone else's words at least change them around a little or say thanks to W68
for the original thought.

servitestudent

Re: Stupidest post ever!

Post by servitestudent » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:12 am

can you show proof that he plagiarized you?

templar83

Re: Stupidest post ever!

Post by templar83 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Ya gotta love Steve sometimes. This week he seeks to justify MV being number one in the O. C. top ten by pointing out they ( MV) have beaten " Baldwin of Hawaii, a good island program..." and "Santiago of Corona which was No. 9 in last week's CIF-SS inland division rankings".

A good island program Steve? Baldwin is currently 2 and 3 and, on average, give up 36 points a game. Of course, they are better in comparison to Santiago of Corona who is 1 and 2 and averages giving up 45 points a game.

Is MV number 1? Yup from where I sit they are, but not because Baldwin is " a good island program" or Santiago is ranked 9th in the I.E. They are just better than everyone else, opponents notwithstanding.

CredoTown

Post by CredoTown » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:31 pm

watchersince68 wrote:Tripp McNeilly said my "The Black is Back" post is the stupidest post ever. Yet in today's register Steve Fryer thought enough about it to plagiarize me in the Steve Fryer on Football section.

Hey Steve next time you steal someone else's words at least change them around a little or say thanks to W68
for the original thought.
He didn't plagiarize you. "The Black Attack is Back" is the quote used by Coach A.J. Gass during his first speech as the HC. That aint your quote.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:49 am

Credotown
It was not the title it was the entire post, read Steve"s column on Tuesday ( I think ) and
read my post ( the black is back ) then send me an apology.