Servite vs Edison

Lionhunter

Servite vs Edison

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 pm

It's long past time to forget about DLS and look towards the Thursday game against Edison. The Charger posters are keeping a low profile, and Dave White will have had two weeks to prepare for the Friars. White is a great coach, and he will get the most out of his players for this one. Can the Friars, with only a short week to prepare, come out on top? I hope so.

The predictions I've seen say Servite by 14. Cal Preps has it 26-7 at a neutral site. Edison is the home team so that makes it maybe 26-10?

I think it will be closer. Servite 27 Edison 19.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

GHOGH

Re: Servite vs Edison

Post by GHOGH » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Servite wins this one 34-0, the offense is getting harder and harder to defend.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm

I like the 34 but you might have to put a "2" in front of that "0".

This defense hasn't stopped. I actually give them credit for slowing down Gorman in the second half of that game, but since then they gave up huge chunks of yards to Poly and La Mirada.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:38 am

Depends on whether Edison is at full strength. First 2 games had them missing some key personnel including BYU commit Fuga who is dominant on both sides of the ball and another returning starter Saluta, another OL/DL beast.
Edison bye could weigh heavily in this one.
Not sure how healthy Servite is, they've obviously played 3 physical games against 3 good football teams which can find a team a little beat up.
Regardless, it will come down to what all good HS FB games come down to, good tackling, special teams and turn-overs.
If Edison is at full strength on OL look for big night on the ground for Gane and Swanigan.
Edison 28-21 in Overtime. Should be a great game.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

Servite is still the underdog. They have a shot at taking this game from Edison if their D improves significantly. I believe Servite is on track, but it's only been two weeks. If Servite improves on D, 42 - 17 Servite. If the D remains the same 24-17 Servite.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 am

Servite's the underdog but they can win 42-17?

WUT?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 am

Servite is not the underdog. They are ahead of Edison in virtually ever poll on the planet.

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:28 am

I'm going with Servite in this one. Something like 24-10 or 28-14.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:12 am

Many people on this board have Servite being the underdog since last year, no upper classmen tough schedule. Since passing league for not winning big tournaments to a new coaching staff no athletes small o line. They beat Lbp and handedly and get no credit. I love it all this team has to do is keep winning. Eventually all the Servite haters will have to come to terms that yes Servite is good team, and you soon have to stop making excuses for the games they win.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am

Anyone that knows the history of this rivalry knows that the games are always close. No one is beating anyone by 4 TDs on Thursday. The history of this game has involved close defensive battles as the teams play just about every year and are very familiar with one another. I think this game will play out much the same.

I would make Edison a small favorite although they haven't played anyone so far. I am happy to see the Friars high on all these polls right now but I will stand by my statement that they are overrated based almost solely on the Poly win. Poly played horrible that night and the Friars played inspired. La Mirada is no good so that win doesn't mean much either. If the Friars easily handle Edison this week, then maybe I will start to believe they are worthy some decent rankings.

servitestudent

Post by servitestudent » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 am

FriarJoe:
Dont you have Servite #3 in OC on your rankings.....? If they are #3 then why do you call them over rated?

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:46 am

I've had Servite as the favorite in this one since the end of last season. Edison lost their top six players in terms of offensive production (not counting their quarterback) and their top eight tacklers on defense. They beat Servite 6-0 last year, and Edison is not nearly as good and Servite is much improved. And for what it's worth, Servite has beaten Edison on the lower levels for the past three seasons pretty handily.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am

Joefutbol,

I see it like you do, except for the one thing that bothers me here. Maybe the reason that last year's game was so close, was that Servite had two weeks to get ready for Edison. This year, Edison has had two weeks to prepare for Servite.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am

The last thing you want to do is underestimate Dave White, I just don't think he has the talent this year. It will be interesting to see Edison as a run-first team (if the stats are correct they threw eight times in their last game with a soph at QB). I'd guess they will try and grind it out behind their big line and keep Servite's offense off the field.

Is St. Brown going to playing?

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Tough room.

Servite gets no credit for the Poly game.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:17 pm

This is a big game for both programs, the win for either team is a qualifier. It will elevate Servite in their climb back to where they were used to being for most of the P5 era which was always competive in the Trinity, last year not withstanding.

A win for Edison elevates them in terms of prestige, they are all ready a big fish in a small pond and this game does not change that and they will most likely beat La Habra in a close one in the divisonal play offs. Is there any other team that will compete with Edison and La Habra in the Southwest Division? HB, FV really?

Servite by two TD's that is my call and I am sticking with it. No change. What will the MD / Edison score be?

I know that is next week ok, I guess we will depend on Santa Monica feeder fish for the Big Fish MD, MD swimming with the little fish this pre season, I would too with Trinity looming. SM and Servite will be tested, MD get's there first tussle with Edison next weak... MD's opponents a combined 1-7 to date. They are good though and that really may work out great as less injury prone schedule.

Pun intended...

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey WUT, underdog unless the D shows considerable improvement, especially in the run defense. If so, the the score will be all Servite. This forum will get ugly if Servite takes a couple steps back this game. The players have not demonstrated anything but progress and certainly have not peaked.

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Edison will be fighting an uphill battle most of the game I believe. Edison has played two mediocre teams and has not shown they are on par with their former self in previous years.

Going toe to toe with a TD for TD per qtr performance with Compton Centennial and then just a TD in the first Qtr and then in the 3rd for a 14 -0 win over Garfield is not what the Edison faithful were hoping to see so far in their team.

Based on those two Edison performances, and how good Servite has looked in their two performances against Poly and LM the last two weeks, how would anyone pick Servite to be the underdog!?! We are not talking about last year or over the summer or what happen in 200X, but based on THIS season so far.

Edison will have to make a significant improvement in their offense to win this one.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:11 pm

You're on the mark, tony. Edison has had a major problem scoring points so far this season. If Servite can manage 17 points, they should win.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 pm

I sure miss Bling and his comments about the games between Edison and Servite....

I don't miss him, just his comments. Wanted to get that straightened out first.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS