De La Salle Vs Servite

junior

Re: De La Salle Vs Servite

Post by junior » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:28 am

MDDad wrote:I agree completely, observer. I don't know how many posters in this thread were actually in attendance, but this may have been the weakest De La Salle team I've ever seen. They have absolutely no passing game, not a lot of team speed, and they committed more penalties last night than they used to in an entire season. The one ability they still have is to absolutely take full advantage of every mistake made by their opponents.

Servite lost because of mistakes and penalties, not because they were dominated by a grossly superior team. St. John Bosco would easily defeat the Spartan team I saw last night.
Expand on your SJB prediction vs DLS. That is a wild assessment. Even before the "easily" statement.

socalfan

Post by socalfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:21 am

Servite was saving the playbook for this week's game with MD. That would explain everything, right?

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Could be. I remember Santa Margarita tried to save the playbook before playing Poly in the playoffs a couple years ago. But it didn't work because they only have four plays anyway.......................Luca

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 pm

ExRep wrote:The DLS I saw last night was no where near the DLS I saw grind away an excellent, unprepared Servite team on that dismal rainy night at Home Depot stadium several years ago.
FYI it was Angel Stadium in the rain...

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:43 pm

No, it was the Home Depot Center.

bballfan99

Post by bballfan99 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Man socalfan you sound so bitter. Relax man you must really dislike servite

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:52 pm

MDDad wrote:No, it was the Home Depot Center.
I stand corrected, thanks Dad!

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm

See? That was another Servite disadvantage that night. They had anticipated playing at Angel Stadium and then found themselves at the Home Depot Ctr. It's disorienting as hell........................Luca

junior

Post by junior » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:08 pm

junior wrote:
Expand on your SJB prediction vs DLS. That is a wild assessment. Even before the "easily" statement.
Bump for MDDAD- think he missed the question posed here.
Your thoughts MDDad?

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 pm

by kid66
Those wide splits are commonly seen on teams that run the spread. It helps create running lanes. With the spread, defenses can only line up in a few different ways. It helps to simplify things for the offense. Look at Texas Tech, Corona C., Washington State, Oregon. The big disadvantage is that defenders can shoot gaps and potentially make some big plays. The spread offense is pretty basic.

I understand – I think – the basic purpose behind the wide splits. I was more interested in why Coach Gass introduced them this year. Is it simply because he likes that as a generic formation, or was there something about Servite's personnel that made him think it was better suited to them?

To me, that offense that Servite runs – and I only saw a few plays in the second half so I may be misjudging – is the worst of both worlds. I can't stand the pistol because the running plays develop so slowly and there is little deception. And I don't like wide splits because I believe a really quick defensive team is more likely going to kick your ass given all those open lanes. I think you're exactly right about Mater Dei blitzing next week. And if not them, somebody is likely to do it very effectively.

We probably don't agree on the definition of the term "common" because while there are certainly plenty of teams that use the spread, I see standard O line splits for more often than I do the wide splits such as employed by Servite.

Nonetheless, it may be the best thing for them this year. I was just curious if anybody knew specifically why Coach Gass had instituted it.....................Luca

socalfan

Post by socalfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Not at all...just haven't bought into all of the hype that's presented here.

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Unbelievable also is how Andrew Moore is misused in Servite's scheme. Last night, he was invisible at MLB. What happened here?
Servite also looked helpless in short yardage offense. No jumbo package and every play from shotgun. Love Loppi, but he isnt the hammer they could use to pick up critical yardage inside the tackles.
I get that they were outclassed/outcoached by DLS, but these things may need to be addressed fort the TL.
Percussus Resurgo

ExRep

Post by ExRep » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Playthegame

That game in Angel Stadium was a dismal rainy affair for Edison....not for Servite.

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 am

I too was in attendance and have to agree with those of you who are saying this is not the DLS team of old.
They are a very good football team but not the world beaters they once were. Their defense was a little slow especially on the outside and their passing game non existent. Their run game was their strong point, but Servite"s D line is a little small. So let's see what unfolds in the rain on Friday.

outsider70

Post by outsider70 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree, while DLS is still formidable, the didn't have the precision and discipline of past teams. I was really not impressed with their passing game, essentially it was not a factor. I thought Servite lost because of inexperience with a young team and coaching. Servite has much more upside and I would place my money on them to beat DLS next year.

OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Boy, if you think like I do that SJB will beat SM and MD will beat Servite then that will set up a big game the following week between SM and Servite. Going down 0-2 in the TL would be tough. The same thing could be said about Olu if they lost to JSerra then had to play SJB at there place.
INAM "It's not about me"

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Speaking of O-LU, they also might be a team to sneak up on a lot of teams this year. They are winning big, and doing what they are supposed to do. They could throw a wrench into this whole thing. Actually I think
SM is over rated and shouldn't be getting as much love. I see them missing the playoffs.
SJB
SERVITE
MD
JSERRA
O-LU
SM :eh?:

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:50 pm

You know what guys? It was my fault Servite lost.

I didn't go to the game the first time they played for state 2 years ago and I didn't go this time.

I take full responsibility.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

I know this may not look like the great DLS teams from the past and as remembered with their greatness, but to point out something the DLS broadcast announcers had said, "can anyone stop this Spartan running game, it is the best running game the spartans have ever had statistically with 6. ?? ( cant remember the exact fraction number) per carry so far." So the DLS team may not seem to be as great as the ones in the past, but at least their running game is at least on par with the past.