Santa Margarita @ Servite

Haroof

Santa Margarita @ Servite

Post by Haroof »

Very intrigued with this weekend's game between SM & Servite.

I think Servite wins a close one.

What do you guys think?
scootermcray

Re: Santa Margarita @ Servite

Post by scootermcray »

This is probably the game of the year for both teams. No one wants to drop to 0-2 in TL play, and it is going to be a tough battle to get back into playoff contention for the loser.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

I flipped a coin, Santa Margarita by a head.
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

This is a very interesting game to me. Has SM got some bad breaks and better than their record shows ? Can Servite win another game if they can't beat SM ? The team that looses this game will be on the outside lookin in down 0-2 in the TL. I give the edge to Servite but would not be surprised if SM pulls it out. Coaching may make the difference in this one. kinda hope SM wins this one.
INAM "It's not about me"
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

This game is why we love the Trinity League. 2 very good HS teams essentially playing for their playoff lives in week 2 of league. These 2 teams seem to always play tough close games and this one will be no exception.

Who can give a scouting report on the Eagles? Who are their big weapons? How does the defense look? What are the strengths and weaknesses? I will reply with my breakdown of the Friars.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

FriarJoe wrote:This game is why we love the Trinity League. 2 very good HS teams essentially playing for their playoff lives in week 2 of league. These 2 teams seem to always play tough close games and this one will be no exception.
Great point Joe! Should have been made in the Bosco/History thread, we are in week two, a bunch of games to play still, the wounds of war yet to be counted, the fickle finger of fate, yet to present it's annual awards...Servite has the edge in this one, Eagles awfully banged up and that is probably just what they want everyone to believe. It's the Trinity man...you gotta play like it's the final every week or somebody going to grab your slice while you are lookin for the whip cream...From what I have seen and I have to see if I can get another look on SM Bosco game, Eagles are in need of reinforcements.
templar83

Post by templar83 »

FriarJoe, I just watched the SM/Bosco replay. I don't see them (SM) as a very good high school football team. I sure am impressed with Bosco though. They are big, fast and deep. IMO, nobody's defense is going to hold them down.
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
St. John Bosco 1-0 1.000 56 12 6-0 1.000 295 95 6 W
Orange Lutheran 1-0 1.000 29 13 6-0 1.000 240 48 6 W
Mater Dei 1-0 1.000 28 21 6-0 1.000 219 48 6 W
Servite 0-1 0.000 21 28 3-3 0.500 148 156 2 L
JSerra Catholic 0-1 0.000 13 29 5-1 0.833 223 100 1 L
Santa Margarita 0-1 0.000 12 56 3-3 0.500 172 166 1 L
* denotes league play.

SM and Servite have similar numbers. But then again so do Olu and SJB. --:--
INAM "It's not about me"
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Haroof,
I think Servite will win this one. It will be a close one, I say by a TD.
SM is really overrated. If you shut down RB, McNICHOLLS and WR, SWEET. Look at the Bishop Amat film
, that will be like this game. :cheers:
Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum »

templar83 wrote:FriarJoe, I just watched the SM/Bosco replay. I don't see them (SM) as a very good high school football team. I sure am impressed with Bosco though. They are big, fast and deep. IMO, nobody's defense is going to hold them down.
Bosco will make many teams they play not look very good
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

When I say good HS teams, I mean good relative to "regular" HS football teams. Both of these teams are OC Top 10 worthy. It just so happens that they play in one of the toughest leagues in the USA and the toughest section (Pac5) in the state so they seem more mediocre than they really are. Both Servite and Santa Margarita would win most of the normal public school leagues in OC of course. That was my only point. Many teams will be playing football this year that are much worse than these 2 teams, while 1 or both of these teams will be watching from the stands.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

hit the lights wrote:Haroof,
I think Servite will win this one. It will be a close one, I say by a TD.
SM is really overrated. If you shut down RB, McNICHOLLS and WR, SWEET. Look at the Bishop Amat film
, that will be like this game. :cheers:
Genius post. If Servite shuts down the running and passing game of SM, they will win.

..and if Servite score more points than SM, they will win.

After Servite gave up 245 yards to MD's running back, McNichols will get a ton of carries. We'll see if Servite's D shows up for this one.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Lot on the line for every team in the Trinity this week, Servite should be favored over SM, anything can happen. Money on Servite this week at least...Looser of this game will turn in their gear most likely in four weeks from yesterday...can SM get their Bigs back in time? That is the key to victory in this game.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

DONT BE THAT GUY,
Don't be that guy! I didn't think answering the question was a bad thing , you freaking clown.
I just said Mc Nicholls and Sweet were the 2 guys to shut down. I'm sure there are more players than that.
Like I said SM IS overrated and Servite will WIN a close 1. Enlighten us with what you think! :2cents:
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

He is right. And he didn't say passing game and running game. He said A RB...and A WR.

Most teams will tell you, with out a good Oline a RB aint crap. And without other threats and protection, and WR aint crap.

SM upfront is extremely banged up and are playing 2s and 3s. IMO McNichols would have been better off at Lakewood. SM doesn't have the line to block for him and the scheme doesn't fit him well.

Servite wins this one easy. SM might put up some points early, but SM defense won't stop Servite and Sweet and McNichols will be gassed after half from trying to be a 2 man show. When SM is close they can mix it up, but when they are playing from behind they can't protect and don't have enough threats to pass consistently.

I
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Don’t be that guy was being “that guy” However, one can just as easily argue that Servite is overrated. The continuing education of Coach Gass will also come into play here, this time vs. Coach Welch, not an easy proposition. To me, this game will tell more about Servite than any so far…we’ll see.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I just thought the post was a little simplistic. Shutting down any teams starting RB and WR will probably win you the game...and the Amat game is as relevant as Gorman. It's not.

For the record, I think Servite wins the game because SM cannot stop the run. Servite will break a couple of big runs then control the ball. If Servite tries to throw the ball, they will let SM in the game.

I don't like Trinity teams that throw as much as the Eagles do. The Eagles QB is talented but green. Servite needs to tighten their splits, bear down and run between the tackles. I know their QB and WR's are talented but ball control is the key for the Friars, not quick strikes.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Servite will continue to pound the rock with Nick and Waller, while getting some wide open WR'S
ST.BROWN off play action. Servites secondary is good, so not too worried. I just hope they are not slipping off a big game with Mater Dei??
GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

Are you talking about the same pounding Servite ran in the
1st half of MD game? That didn't work at all.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Where is everybody getting the idea SM is all beat up? I haven' heard of any injuries, not even here on this forum.

I think Playthegame has it right...it's just what the Eagles want us to think.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.