The search for the replacement for Harry Welch IS OVER

BuckW

Re: The search for the replacement for Harry Welch has begun

Post by BuckW »

I would think that 5 Trinity League wins in 7 years would eliminate Hartigan from consideration. This search will be become real interesting over the next few weeks as some of the top contenders' teams are eliminated from the CIF playoffs.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

BuckW wrote:I would think that 5 Trinity League wins in 7 years would eliminate Hartigan from consideration. This search will be become real interesting over the next few weeks as some of the top contenders' teams are eliminated from the CIF playoffs.
Wow, perspective is everything. When Hartigan took over JSerra, the question was whether they would even finish the season, nevermind win in the Trinity League. They have shown that they can compete in the toughest league in America, while losing players to established powerhouses along the way.

Santa Margarita would be lucky to have Hartigan back leading their program.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

dont be that guy wrote:They have shown that they can compete in the toughest league in America, while losing players to established powerhouses along the way.
Not quite...go look at Big North (NJ) compair national rankings of the teams in the league. There is a huge difference in National rank in the teams in the Big North vs the Trinity. Trinity is at best number two. Small diff I know but better be accurate in statement so point is credible and really they have not been able to compete or they would have made it to the Play offs at least once. Best finish is 2-3 and no play offs, if you are in the league... you compete, that is not the same as being competitive. Not being able to keep talent is also not something you put in Bold Print on the Resume either. BuckW is on point.
Pitzrrr

Post by Pitzrrr »

SM would be lucky to get Hartigan back. He built SM up to a championship team from scratch.
He was successful up in Fresno at Clovis West. I think the last few years Clovis West has been pretty horrible for whatever reason now.
And hes slowly building up JSerra football. Still no clue how that school can win games in the Trinity.
Sitting on an Indian burial ground in San Juan Capistrano. Next door to powers Santa Margarita and Mission Viejo.
The biggest population next to the school is across the train tracks with a TON of latinos that are not interested in playing football.
JSerra fighting for left overs with Capo Valley and San Juan Hills HS.
Zero tradition to build off of.

I thought Hartigan was over his head when he took the JSerra job. Those 1st few years, Bill Belichick as the D-Cord and Chip Kelly as the O-Cord wouldnt be able to win at JSerra. :lol:

On a side note, im currently trying to talk to a certain family friend into applying for the job at SM.
But after leaving Lakewood, and after being courted by LA Loyola (everyone wanted him there but 1 guy, bad hire guy) I think he likes his situation in Carlsbad. I keep at him to get his ass back up to Orange County and coach, all he gives me is a smile and a "you never know"
shhhh *I think the job he really wants is the MD job when Rollo hangs is up* but who wouldnt want that job.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

SM would hire Hartigan in a heartbeat if they could but that is why JSerra also gave him the AD title
with some additional bennies to keep him, I'm betting - There was some bad blood with the SM administration when Hartigan left SM. I think the pencil pushers that were involved are gone now.

...in any case, to say Hartigan is not an excellent HC does not know shi*. He beat DLS with
a PUBLIC SCHOOL team, TWO! years in a row while at Clovis West! The only other HS HC,
that I'm aware of, that has done it, is Bob Johnson of MV, any others?

..in the end SM would be lucky to get Hartigan back but it will take some money and benefits
to do it.
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

SM better get a recognized name if they want to be relevant in the TL in the next few years. If the new HC does not start drawing back players to SM it may be a rough ride. MV and Tesoro could benefit if SM makes the wrong choice.
INAM "It's not about me"
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

...........even lately, SM is not getting the FB numbers they used to, re:incoming frosh, most of the
athletes they now get, filter into the so called minor sports at SM. The frosh FB numbers for this
past season was not very high...........
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Are the SMEagles a diocese school? If so, anyone they want to hire has to go through the diocese and then there's that dreaded salary cap. Jserra isn't a diocese school and can pay whatever they want.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

cruiser wrote:The frosh FB numbers for this past season was not very high.
That may be the progression of an alarming trend. This season, JSerra, Santa Margarita and Orange Lutheran all cancelled their Saturday frosh games with Mater Dei due to a lack of players.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

cruiser wrote:SM would hire Hartigan in a heartbeat if they could but that is why JSerra also gave him the AD title
with some additional bennies to keep him, I'm betting - There was some bad blood with the SM administration when Hartigan left SM. I think the pencil pushers that were involved are gone now.

...in any case, to say Hartigan is not an excellent HC does not know shi*. He beat DLS with
a PUBLIC SCHOOL team, TWO! years in a row while at Clovis West! The only other HS HC,
that I'm aware of, that has done it, is Bob Johnson of MV, any others?

..in the end SM would be lucky to get Hartigan back but it will take some money and benefits
to do it.
Pitzrrr wrote:SM would be lucky to get Hartigan back. He built SM up to a championship team from scratch.
All of the above is true, previous iterations, Clovis West, and SM...but after 7 years and not much to show, I took BuckW's point to be that to start Day 1 with prestige and Notarity that a Tony Sanchez or Centennial Matt Logan or somebody Like Butch Goncherof of Bellvue that comes in with a huge rep that has strong magnetic power to attract the elite type atletes and prospects. My comment was not meant to disparage Jim Hartigan who is well respected and had previous success. If SM just wants a good guy, then they are more candidates to choose from. Buckw in his usual concise manner just bottomed lined it from the business perspective, granted there is more to the SM hire but that would only be logical as indicated by the prior choice.

Additionally after the time JH has put in and the fact that this is his first decent team, seems like alot would have to fall in place to make that make sense.

I could see how the post came off but I think the expectation is to be Nationaly relevant at SM. They recently had National champ Hockey, Football, Girls Soccer to name a few very succesful teams. If the candidate could coach baseball that would be another value added plus...
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

Not sure why people think it is such a great job. Logan, Sanchez and other big name guys would be crazy to leave their schools to go to SM.

SM has a great facility but it is very land locked and has a bunch of quality programs around it that makes bringing in strong classes very difficult.

Not to mention the lower levels were 2-8 (I think) including losing to Bosco 61-7 on the frosh level. It is a big time rebuilding process. No way established coaches want that.
Pitzrrr

Post by Pitzrrr »

-Big time Trinity league school
-Great place to live in South Orange County, crawling with elite players around you (just gatta get em to the school)
-It's not a JSerra where your starting from scratch with ZERO tradition.
-Multiple CIF championship history, including a state championship just 2 years ago.
-Plenty of big time football alumni.

Very competitive area no doubt. But the right coach could have a lot of success at SM.
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

The history of SMCHS says they have more bounce-back ability than most schools, provided the coach is the right man for the job.

Despite what the frosh level might have done this year, I don't think that indicates there's a problem. Welch came in to SMCHS and turned this around almost immediately. Just takes the right coach, that's all.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

SM Head Coaching odds if they apply:

White 1:2
Hartigan 2:1
Logan 3 : 1
Candaele 4 : 1
Sanchez 5 :1
Johnson the Elder 6 : 1
Sergio Muniz 10 : 1
That CdM guy: 25 :1
Johnson the Younger 50 : 1
Eric Johnson 51 : 1
Los Al the Younger 75:1
McIntosh 100 : 1
Dave Money 101 : 1
Luca 125 : 1
Canty 150 : 1
Higgins 150 : 1
Carson Palmer 200 : 1
The stat idiot 250 : 1
The fat video guy 250 : 1
Jay Noonan 300 : 1
Kiki Mendoza 350 : 1
Lu Dominguez 500 : 1
Grady 1,000 : 1
Paul Gomes 10,000 : 1
Tim O'Hara 2-28 : 1
Asante 200,000 : 1
Father Butters 250,000 : 1
The Janitor 500,000 : 1
Gomer Pyle 750,000 : 1
Pete Stevensen 1,000,000 : 1
Longshotshore 1,000,000,000,000 : 1
wrestlingfan

Post by wrestlingfan »

Love the Lu Dominguez odds :D Good humor, thanks!
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Wow I'm shocked Mr. Grady I thought you would have Jay Noonan and Paul Gomes with much better odds of replacing Coach Welch. Two such legendary coaches with such long odds.
socalfan

SM coaching interviews

Post by socalfan »

Two that I know of so far…White from Edison and Kanau.
Trinitylguealum

Re: SM coaching interviews

Post by Trinitylguealum »

Kunau - yes...White - No...Kunau will not be hired
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Former college head coach is under consideration for the SM job.If they can work out the details it would be a great hire. Either way expect a decision before Christmas.
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

Do you think SM has a set salary and bene package or is it based on the coach they bring in ?
INAM "It's not about me"