Rollinson's Last Game

Lionhunter

Rollinson's Last Game

Post by Lionhunter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 pm

You heard it first here. I believe Coach Rollinson hangs it up when this season ends. Great career, coach. Got to give the devil his due. Who takes over?
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Haroof

Re: Rollinson's Last Game

Post by Haroof » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Is this just your guess? Or did you hear some chatter?

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Troy Thomas. He realizes he misses the OC and wants back into the Trinity League
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Haroof,

A little of both. Call it an educated guess.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:14 pm

With that offense id leave too. No one really coming back,its a good time to leave

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

A thread full of Friars hoping Rollo retires...Yeah...I don't blame you guys...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Not that I want Rollo to retire, but he has been there a while. I mean, it's been a while since he won a CIF title. Retire while still on top.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

kid66

Post by kid66 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:10 am

Nice try Lion hunter but Rollo isn't going anywhere. He really likes the next two senior classes. He returns a lot. If MD can get QB to transfer in, they should be the favorite to win the PAC 5 next year.

I actually that MD needs a new O.C. I think he has ran its course and its time for a change.

But if Rollo gets a CIF title next year he will be done. He really wants one more CIF title.

TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 am

MD is the number 2 team in the Trinity and Bosco loses basically THE ENTIRE DEFENSE next year. We are talking D1 players and 3 year starters all gone.

Sure their is young talent to replace them, and sure they handled MD easily in two games...but MD has to feel good about what they about coming back as opposed to Bosco.

Bosco has some talent and solid players coming back, but nothing like this year unless some sophomores step up real fast.

observer

Post by observer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:51 am

I don't see him leaving either. The Trinity league has (and will have) very green faces in coaching positions over the next several seasons. MD doesn't win on its talent - they win because of their coaching. This advantage will only be amplified over the next few years.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:59 am

He should hang it up after last nights embarrassing blowout beatdown. His players mailed it in at half time. Zero offensive TDs in 2 games against SJB. His record against BJ is 2-6, against Lad 0-4. Zero championships since '99. It's time for old gravel voice to step aside. :mrgreen:

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:25 am

Rollo isn't going anywhere. He will end up getting a good quarterback to come in, Costello from SM?
the monarchs will be better next year. Also, Bosco will lose a lot of talent but they will get some good kids to come in., probably from the Long Beach Poly area. Private schools can just reload too easy. All the kids will do is look at all the D-1 scholarships Bosco put out and the kids will start showing up.
It is a competitive business in recruiting kids, who will do a better job?
Bosco
MD
Servite
O-LU
SM
J-serra
Where are the kids gonna play? Who gets their kids the most scholarships and a good education?
What kind of system do you run, and how many excellent athletes will feel they will be used in a way
that can get them to the next level?
Next up Bosco vs the north. I think it's time for the south to rise up! GO Bosco! =D>

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 am

WTF is he gonna do if he hangs it up? Drive his wife crazy? And who's next? I believe a successor will already be in line and I don't think they're there yet.
Even if he would have won last night, I think it would have just reminded him how great it is to win a Championship and he'd want to go after another, not to mention the State playoffs.
It takes great discipline to go out on top. I hope he gets the opportunity to do so.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 am

5-5 next yr if they are lucky. Forrest is not a a QB. They lose all their play makers on offense and defense. Humphries and. Makik are the only 2 worth while returning. Servite has to be the favorite going into next yr with 16 returning starters, 7 being D1 players.

observer

Post by observer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:16 am

Holy crap - MD made it all the way to the finals with an imposter at QB?? Good thing you're around pork or nobody would have known.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it

BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:44 am

Bosco's coaching staff is very good. Bosco has "poly like" talent. The difference between the 30-0 MD-Poly score and the 34-7 score is coaching. Bosco is better coached than Mater Dei. Mater Dei is MUCH better coached than Poly.

Also Bosco does an AMAZING job in the weight room.

Early thoughts coming back.
Servite has the most talent coming back. But a serious upgrade in coaching and overall program development/ mental attitude will be needed.
Bosco is next. Rosen, McGrew and two Div 1 lineman return, with many talented receivers (but not many catches) They are graduating a ton on defense but the program was 20-0 in the trinity league this year (all-levels). Look for some sophomores-to-be to step up and I know kids (all-league starters at other schools) are banging down the door to get in. Every senior starter on this years defense will go play college football for free.
Mater Dei after Bosco. Especially if they keep the same offense. That's 20 points Mater Dei has scored on offense the last 4 times they played Bosco. Three years ago all they got was a field goal vs a very, very young Bosco defense with 4 sophomores starting on the DL.
Orange Lutheran.
Margarita or JSerra depending on the pending coaching changes.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 am

Your assertion that Bosco is more well-coached than MD is preposterous. (BTW: EVERYONE is coached better than Poly, that's a given)

The difference in the game is talent, period! If the Bosco staff is superior to the MD staff how do you explain last year? The team with the lesser talent, MD, made it to the finals. That's a coaching job. Bosco underachieved last year, you can't argue with that. Underachievement is on the coaching staff, AWAYS! Mater Dei, arguably, overachieved the last 2 years.

Bosco has a good staff (with the exception of one MD cast-off) and Negro appears to be a good leader, but he walked into a goldmine of talent the likes of which are normally only seen at Poly and Serra. Success over the long haul is the true indicator. Guys like TT, Welch and others come and go with time, grab some glory, some headlines and a title here and there. But there's only one who just keeps doing it decade after decade, Rollo and MD.

Bosco better coached than MD and that was the difference in the game.... that's really funny.

P.S. EVERY team in the Trinity does an AMAZING job in the weightroom. Looks like Bosco needs some coaching in the Nutrition Department. Lineman are good, but no denying they are all too fat. And if they do such an AMAZING job in the weightroom why do their big time skill players all sport buggywhips out their jersey sleeves? They got some serious skinny on the skills side. What? They no lift? Bosco ain't doin' anything new or better in the weightroom than any other big time school, except maybe the donut table.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Exocet 98 wrote:He should hang it up after last nights embarrassing blowout beatdown. His players mailed it in at half time. Zero offensive TDs in 2 games against SJB. His record against BJ is 2-6, against Lad 0-4. Zero championships since '99. It's time for old gravel voice to step aside. :mrgreen:
What do Lad & Rollo have that your beloved BJ doesn't...Division One & National Titles... Seriously...Supporters of a team who lost to MD in the 2nd round should be barred from running their mouths so flippant this late in the season
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Geeez, in the end, Bosco won because they had the better overall talent. No more or less!
I am surprised that MD could not score at least a couple of TD's though. MD defense on
the field way too long to keep the game close - MD offense too predictable, at least; for this game
- both coaching staffs are good.

Rollo will stay until he can win one more CIFSS crown, I'm betting: (both his kids are adults, one
a teacher in New York City, the other works in the USC athletic department, I believe) so, ya,
as one poster stated, he will just be bothering his wife all day,if he retired.......

On a side note, and even the game announcers commented on it - MD was in the playoff's
toughest bracket. They had to beat three highly rated SoCal teams JUST to make it to the
championship game - quite an accomplishment in itself!

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Well said Cruiser, I was impressed with the half time adjustments Rollo and staff made. :mrgreen: