SM Recent Hire

Old School

SM Recent Hire

Post by Old School » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:23 am

I would love to hear Luca's take on the new hire, anyone hear from him?
Too bad you did not hire Nolan, you would have winning with integrity.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

Al Koholik

Re: SM Recent Hire

Post by Al Koholik » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:43 am

Nolan has never shown any "sticktuitiveness" at any program. He becomes bored and/or dis-enchanted too quickly. Don't know how they came to decide on a .500 coach from a mediocre program, but I don't think Jilly was the answer either.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:24 am

Ray Dunne was not going to hire a coach like Nolan because he would have pushed the boys too hard toward victories on the football field. Dunne was never involved in competitive sports and does not understand how important they are in the development of young men. If Dunne had his way they would remove all scoreboards at SM and Saddleback College.

There were several excellent coaches who applied for this job that would have kept SM competitive but that was not Dunne's plan. Mike McPherson the former D coordinator at Cerritos College and SM assistant was one of the excellent applicants. In addition to being a great coach he was respected by the current SM players and alumni. I'm sure many more of the top candidates' names will come out and SM's financial supporters will realize we will never again have a championship football program as long as Ray Dunne runs the school. Ray Dunne is much better suited to run St. Michaels Abbey than a Trinity League School.

scootermcray

Post by scootermcray » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 am

Hearing stories about top SM players reaching out to other Trinity schools. Should be interesting when all the dust settles following the holidays.

HS FB Fan 37

Post by HS FB Fan 37 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:02 am

Sounds like Brother Lawrence Monroe all over again at SM.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:19 am

Scooter is right. SM's second semester starts January 6th. If Curtis does not get his act together real soon and hire some PAC 5 level assistants he may not have enough players to field a team next season. SM could end up like Jserra a few years back when the forfeited their Trinity League games.

frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:15 pm

if they in fact have to cancel games that would be end of Dunne...

Old School

Post by Old School » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Al, all due respect you do not know what your talking about in regards to Nolan. Nolan lives in south county, driving to L A County was a drag, it was getting harder and harder given his growing family. Nolan's misses coach but loves his family more, that is the kind of guy SM or any school should have as their HC.

Mac a nice guy, and great family but he works at Cerritos College full time, would he have quit his good job he has at CC? Mac is an old Cerritos Don. Phil was the better linebacker of the two. lol

It appears the decision has been made as the direction of SM athletics, to Tesoro's and MV's gain. I can even see schools like Capo or San Juan improving.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Dunne never wanted to go there in the first place. Dunne's passion is teaching history/civics.. When he was the principal at Servite he would jump in and teach a history class whenever he could. In 2006 he quit being principal and went back to being a full time teacher. In 2007 the diocese requested he go clean up some mess at SMEagle high. He probably hired this coach just so he could be booted

LMNOP

Post by LMNOP » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am

:?? So did the any of the vital players reach out or transfer to other Trinity or area schools as scootermccray suggested would happen?
what kind of staff has Curtis put together?

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Players taking a wait and see approach. Having Coach Grady (offensive coordinator) and Coach Veeder (defensive coordinator) agree to stay on may have kept some players from transferring.

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

It appears the decision has been made as the direction of SM athletics, to Tesoro's and MV's gain. I can even see schools like Capo or San Juan improving.
Old School you kill me...you've done nothing but bash HW from the day he was hired, and called out the school for retaining him. Then they make the switch to complete "character" guy and you crush them for that.

You can't have it both ways...you, of all people, should be celebrating the hire.

Playingtime

Post by Playingtime » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Give the hire some time. It may very well work out.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 am

The juniors and seniors don't have time to give. They can't wait 2 or 3 years for this coach to get up to speed in the Trinity League. I would not blame any of them that left for other Trinity League schools. It's amazing that Trabuco Hills could go out and get a winning coach who is also a "good character guy" but SM gets a coach who could not win in the Pacific Coast League. If this guy does not put a winner on the field he and Dunn should be sent packing.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:55 am

I doubt if Dunne makes the call by himself. I'm pretty sure there would have to be a consensus among the school president,principal and AD for the hire? Actually, the way the Diocese high school systems
are set up currently, the school principal is charged to oversee academics I believe, it's the school president I would think that makes the final call with input from the AD and also Dunne, fyi

Or,maybe I'm wrong, is Dunne the school principal or president?
Last edited by cruiser on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Playingtime

Post by Playingtime » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 am

So "Buck", for you it really is all about winning??? (The "juniors and seniors don't have the time"). Is your son a junior or senior?

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm

You bet Trinity League football is about winning. If it wasn't about winning why did SM's Admin fire Coach Jacot after back to back 3-7 seasons. Coach Jacot was a strong character guy but he was relieved of his duties as the head coach. Now this same Admin. goes out and hires a coach that has had three straight losing seasons in the Pacific Coast League.

Playingtime

Post by Playingtime » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Buck, you went from "the juniors and seniors don't have time to give", to the SM Admin is about winning. What does one have to do with the other? Please explain just how your son, (or the juniors and seniors to be), will be hurt by this specific hire. Will college coaches suddenly quit looking for quality players at SM? We always hear/read that college coaches will find the talent, regardless of where they play. True?? Untrue?? by the way.... just wondering, in your opinion, who would have been the perfect hire for SM?

Another question..... Please name 3 OC high school coaches that come to mind, that win the most with the least amount of talent, year in, year out???

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:01 am

It's not about attracting attention of college coaches. The reality is that 4 or 5 players from each class will ever play a down in college football. There have been classes at SM where only 2 players continued to play football in college. It's about giving the players the best chance to be successful on the field in high school and developing boys into strong men who don't fold under the pressures of life. But to answer your question it does matter where and who you play for when it comes to attracting the attention of college coaches. When your team and players play in CIF playoffs and state championship games the players have more opportunities to be seen. Superstar players will be found wherever they play but that is not always true for the better than average player who could be a contributor in college. Coaches like Harry Welch, Bob Johnson and Bruce Rollinson have much more credibility when they recommend a player to a college coach.

My point in my last post is that the SM Administration is so dysfunctional that they don't know what they want. They fired a good man in Coach Jacot because he had back to back 3-7 seasons and now they hire a coach who just finished a 3-7 season in the lowly Pacific Coast league. The real problem is Dunne, Carey and Schaaf could not handle another strong man as a football coach who has the guts to hold a different opinion than them.

If Curtis' excuse for his poor record at Northwood was less talent than powerhouses like Woodbridge, Irvine and University he better get use to it. I just don't think Coach Curtis will be attracting much talent when he is competing for that talent against Bob Johnson, Bruce Rollinson, Jim Hartigan and the new coach at Trabuco Hills who just won back to back CIF Championships.

Playingtime

Post by Playingtime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 am

Sounds like you might be pretty close to the program. You may or may not be aware of who else applied, but if you are, who in your opinion would have been a better hire? I find the subject of the hiring and firing of HIGH SCHOOL coaches in general, to be a very intriguing subject.