Semifinals
#5 St. John Bosco def. #9 Santa Margarita
#3 Hart def. #10 Serra

Championship
#3 Hart def. #5 St. John Bosco, 19-13
hit the lights

Re: Edison Passing Tournament Schedule

Post by hit the lights »

Hart vs Bosco Final, no surprise. Looks like Brady White is the real deal. Did Trent Irwin play? Hart is notorious for producing TOP NOTCH QB'S. Where were Bosco's athletes?? Did they lose to Los Al?? Look for LOS Al to be back on track this year.
footballfan50

Post by footballfan50 »

Bosco did lose to Los Al in their first game of the day 20 - 19. I agree with you. I do think los al will be on track this year.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

1. Trent Irwin played, and he is spectacular. Probably the best player I saw all day.

2. Bosco's athletes were all over the field. They had as many or more than any other team there.

3. Yes, Bosco lost to Los Al.

4. Los Al's morning results did not qualify them for the Gold championship bracket. Instead they were placed in the Silver consolation bracket, where they went out in the first round.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Los Al QB, Telanko, a transfer from Tesoro.????? Isn't that following a coach, athletically motivated?
footballfan50

Post by footballfan50 »

Serra had more athletes than any other team out there, even Bosco. Unfortunately they were lacking the most important position which is a top notch QB.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

How did La Habra look? who stood out?? :??
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

passing league :shrug:
los al beat bosco 20-19, but lost every other game to finish 1-4 on the day.
bosco then turned around and beat cc by 3 td's and beat gardena serra 34-0.
later in the day bosco beat alemany 30something to 0. :shrug:
footballfan50

Post by footballfan50 »

I don't think that there is any arguing that overall Bosco is a better program than most/all public schools out there, Los Al included. They have unlimited boundaries and can offer cost free private school education to the absolute best athletes. However for the first 40 minutes of today's tournament when Bosco and Los Al were on the field, competing head to head, Los Al was the better team. You can come up with all the excuses you like but the scoreboard don't lie.
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

So...Bosco is clearly a better program and according to the scoreboard, at least 4 out of the 5 teams you played today are better passing league teams? Rough times I guess ehh?
footballfan50

Post by footballfan50 »

Dude, the two schools lined up, they played, and Los Al won. This is the topic of the conversation, someone asked if Bosco lost to Los Al and they did. Exactly which part of this story are you in denial about?
NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 »

Los Al only played 4 teams so they finished 1-3. They were the better team against Bosco. They lost to Gardens Serra by 6 points, who made it to the semis and and were beaten by a talented Corona Centennial team 40-31. When tournament play began they lost a close game 13-12 against another Pac 5 contender Notre Dame.

We all know that passing league is not the same as tackle football but it does measure competitiveness and atheletic ability. With that being said Los Al did compete and play with 4 Pac 5 schools today.

Come this fall the Griffins will be a factor in the Sunset League and the new WV Division.
NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 »

La Habra went 0-3 in pool play then beat Mission Hills of San Marcos in tournament play. I'm not sure how they did the next round vs Notre Dame. In speaking with a La Habra dad today he said they are really young and have a lot of question marks across the board. Being that its still La Habra I'm sure they will be fine in the freeway league and be ready come playoff time.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

A couple comments:

1.) Los Al news JD Rafkin transfered to Lakewood and Talenko took his place, both younger Barnes helping dad, Los Al is coming back IMHO spoke with BBarnes for a good 15 mins getting run down.
2.) Serra QB has a cannon for an Arm
3.) SM played way above my expectation given new staff etc, they looked good.
4.) JSerra had a good showing
5.) Edison looked way better than last year, much more athletic and enthusiastic vibe
6.) Upland has alot of dudes(not new news but could not match Serra on Offense, very good D though.
7.) The final was awesome, the White/Irwin combo was not stoppable and Bosco played good, Irwin was the dif.
8.) Hart played very well on both sides
9.) Edison staff, parents etc did and awesome job putting on a first class tourney, In n out cooking burgers, Chic Filet supposedly was there or provided Sandwhiches, Refs did a great job, even though a training execise for the newby's, kept every one on schedule. Hospitality factor a ten, Times, Register, OC sidelines and Under the Radar all in full force..
10.) Matt Katnik playing football this year( 2014), and will not be next year rather putting his way threw school, but good news for the Braves. Rosen looked good IMO.

My final take away, there is a lot of talent in SoCal this year!
Last edited by Playthegame on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

So how does Bosco provide cost free tuition? Curious. No self respecting Catholic school funds athletic scholarships. A few bucks here and there for aid, but c'mon?

Are you telling me non-Catholics are getting the full (or near full) cost of private school tuition paid for simply because they are athletes? Where is the dignity? Heaven forbid? Are some schools admitting non-Catholics for their athletic potential?

I think an investigation into the situation will lead to a speculation of this population.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Mr. Grady if you have proof, then speak the truth. Otherwise have some cheese with your whine...
Rojo Lion

Post by Rojo Lion »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:FYI, The Bosco staff does not put a whole lot of stock into 7on7. Negro actually has a good quote about it in the paper a few weeks back. The entire summer they have only throw against Edison, Marina and Mission Viejo.
I Laughed.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Here are the scores from today's event for those who want to see how close some of the contests were:

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

hit the lights wrote:Los Al QB, Telanko, a transfer from Tesoro.????? Isn't that following a coach, athletically motivated?
HTL - Barnes left at the end of season year before last so timing is does not work for following a coach...the term athletically motivated has been eliminated from the rule book, unless reintroduced, that is my understanding and I am too tired to go look it up right now so incase I am wrong please cite the rule if you are looking it up.

Thanks!
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

LOL love passing league guys. Always good for some laughs.