Servite closes all practices

Dailydose

Servite closes all practices

Post by Dailydose »

Servite has decided to close it's fb practices. Why? Is it because a coach (he had a cane) sent anonymous emails. Is it because they are tired of people complaining about the D coordinator and his lack of football knowledge? Servites fb program is in real trouble if they have to make these desperate moves.
FriarJoe

Re: Servite closes all practices

Post by FriarJoe »

I heard its because there are too many celebrities on the sidelines at practice. Usc had the same problem a few years ago.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Maybe it's to keep away the insane parents attending high school football practice.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Hmmmm, closed to everyone or just the people the Servite staff do not know? How is it enforced?
A guard at the entrance to the field?
footballislife

Post by footballislife »

Wow that will make it hard for some to want to send their kid their for sure. I sure enjoyed watching my oldest go through his HS days of playing and certainly would not have put him in a school that would not have allowed that. Then again, I kept my mouth shut and let the coaches coach. Parents do need to stay in line. Punishing all parents for a few certainly is not a great approach but depending how bad it was might have been merited. This will influence their ability to attract talent. Some parents just truly enjoy watching and are not a problem while others feel the need to coach and loudly disrespect coaches and are a distraction for their kid. Most coaches have rules to engage them after or before practice.
Dailydose

Post by Dailydose »

Closed to everyone. Parents should be allowed to watch their son practice with the amount of money we pay the school.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

You should be allowed, but I'll let all you parents in on a little secret. The coaches don't want you there. Your son doesn't want you there. His teammates don't want you there. There are plenty of seats at the game on Friday night.
wrestlingfan

Post by wrestlingfan »

The money comment is just ridiculous. Practices are closed b/c some couldn't exercise some self control. Too many interruptions to practice. Hopefully this won't have to last long. If everyone just watched & kept out of it, it would work better.
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

I am sure it is just a teachable moment for the parents. Servite is great with those. But if they don't let in ESB's Dad that would be.........................
INAM "It's not about me"
footballislife

Post by footballislife »

I would not lump all coaches, kids and parents in the same boat. Regarding coaches you are likely right and understandably so. Coaches and players hate parents coaching from the sideline. I was one that kept my mouth shut. There are a few that mind their own business and have a great relationship with their son on and off the field.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

I'm surprised the Servite administration (with their past history) is allowing it? No parents have complained to the powers at be about it? Practice interruptions?
Coach TO

Post by Coach TO »

Long Beach Poly's practices are closed too...for the most. You can watch from the outter perimeter fence, in some areas that the fence isn't covered. Even when one of the teams practices on the football field, you can't get on the field during practice...the gates are monitored and/or locked. There's good reason to have closed practices...and yes, some parents are 1 of the main reasons. There's too much distraction and people will flock the practice field, causing big distractions and even commotion sometimes. Students want to hangout too...they are also a big distraction.

You'd be amazed at how many parents become coaches...yelling & instructing their kids during practice, and games as well.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Hmmmm, I can see why the LBP practices are mostly closed which I won't get into but any private school (s)
FB practices I have been to, I've never seen adults/parents trying to be sideline coaches, but that is just
my observation, that is why I'm surprised Servite has closed their practices.

There must be some substantial interruptions/distractions going on. On a side note,many schools have cross
country and track athletes, other sport athletes working out near the FB practice field area during a FB
practice, fyi
afan95

Post by afan95 »

So has Servite put up some type of tarp along the fence that runs parallel to the houses across the street?
How can it be closed if you can stand on that sidewalk and watch what's going on?
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

Good for Servite.

Every practice should be closed, IMO.
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

Smartest move AJ Gass has made. Too many drama queen parents can ruin a season. His job and his focus should be on the players and his coaches, not parents, students, and other hangers on. Let the kids focus. I've always thought the best practices I've been a part of are when there were little to no spectators.

Bravo Gass. Now can we get a goal line offense and tighten up that D line?
AllGasNoBrakes

Post by AllGasNoBrakes »

joefutbol wrote:You should be allowed, but I'll let all you parents in on a little secret. The coaches don't want you there. Your son doesn't want you there. His teammates don't want you there. There are plenty of seats at the game on Friday night.
This is very true.

Good job joefutbol!
familyoffriars

Post by familyoffriars »

This decision is a gift to the boys. I would much prefer the school go and kick the butts of the offenders and let the quiet observers enjoy the afternoons, but I get it. Sadly, I get it.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Good move by the coaching staff. No distractions.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

I logged in specifically to say what Haroof had mentioned.

Every practice should be closed. Assuming the coach isn't abusive or a child predator, there is absolutely no reason why a parent should be watching or attending a high school football practice. End of story.

Heck, my high school swim practices were closed practices. I'm actually pretty shocked that some football parents feel entitled to be able to do this.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.