Servite closes all practices

cruiser

Re: Servite closes all practices

Post by cruiser »

All I can say to Luca's and Mr. Grady's posts is - OUCH!!!
credofriar

Post by credofriar »

Mr Grady.
Did I read that correctly......when you coached.............
If we won - the staff won the game because of our preparation and if we lost it was the lack of focus during the week by the kids and game night execution by them.
were you being serious? or was that in jest?
you would never hear those words being spoken from even the biggest ego-maniacs in coaching like carol, saban, etc....

hopefully I am missing something.
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

Well credo friar have you or anyone else spoken to that set of parents and drinking buddies or whatever and tried to tell them about the problems they are causing?

If you notice an issue you should confront it before it gets out of hand. Well too late I guess.
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

Plain and simple... parents need to let their kids grow up without them at their side all the time, unless you attend class to also watch them take a test. It's nothing more, or nothing less. Servite Administration is doing fine and the coaches are doing fine. The Gass haters are still bitter about TT leaving (on his own)
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Unfortunately, Credo, I saw how ill the Division I mentality was and quit after two seasons. The staff truly believed that programs and staffs win games but mistakes by kids lose games. I once saw a WR coach chew out a receiver until he was in tears after he dropped a fourth and six pass late in a game that could have kept a drive alive, but instead we saw a victory formation for the opponent 30 seconds later. That 25 year old punk coach kept riding that poor kid as if the coach lost his life savings on the outcome of that game. Grow up you pukes. Beating Santa Margarita or Bosco at all costs is not how the world measures your manhood. Its about kids, their parents, the school community then about coaching glory in that order. The Division I model was coaching glory, stipends, maybe a hot milf, then maybe the kids.

These games and these practices mean a lot to parents. Get over it and get with the program.
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

It's interesting how this whole post is taking something simple like "High School Football", and trying to turn it into Watergate. This goes for most programs... at all levels.

*This is about the kid who must learn and develop in 2.5 hours of practice a day, but has to deal with 6 hours a night because the parent attends practice. It is one thing to come to the last part of practice as you are driving home from work and have to pick up your kid. It's another to attend practice and keep a birds-eye view, looking for teaching moments to be discussed on the ride home or later that night. Coaches have a game-plan, which does not include a parent contribution. Your kid doesn't want you there as much as you believe they do!

*YOUR KID DOESN'T WANT YOU THERE!!! But if they told you that, they would have to listen to your rants. So, the coaches become the bad guys because they want your kid to have a life outside the program. You won't let them! And then, here comes the blame of Administration, who cannot control their coaching staff. Really?

*Croom is an excellent addition to the program because he gets involved in the program. He and his parents have worked hard to attend Servite and deserve to be there for all the right reasons (versus your callous rants - possibly because he now makes the team more competitive).

*Coaches closed practice because the coaches need the players to focus on improving versus hearing the parents banter in the background, offering suggestions for improvement. These are teenagers, most of which have an attention span that cannot multi task over 10 minutes. When was the last time you told your teenager to take out the trash at a specific time, say 3:00 pm, versus "take out the trash right now please"? Otherwise it doesn't get done.

*There is no conspiracy theory, bad Administration, or need to swap out coaching. If you attend the practices (at any of these so-called D1 high schools), you'll find the practices and goals to be very simple... "make your assignments!" The coaches are there to develop the kids by providing a game plan for each player. If the players makes his assignment, there is a good chance for a win that week. Hmmm... If anything, Admin let's the coaches and faculty make decisions as long as they are in line with the mission of the school.

I had the pleasure of standing next to a parent during a recent game where this parent berated one player, providing specific examples of inability, all because that player was younger, but earned a position over his kid. His kid came into the game, missed an assignment, and was pulled again. The parent stated: "see... there you go... some kid misses his assignment, and my kid has to leave the game!" I think you get the picture. I am sure this parent attends practice.

Parents, we are too close to our kids and don't want them to fail at any costs! It's bad for the ego, and we feel the need to compensate for, or justify, why our kid failed by chirping with others (you know who you are - I hope). Meanwhile, the coaches are happy for the failure because it becomes a teaching and developing tool to make the team better. Oh, and by the way, your kid, who failed that one time, probably had 50 other plays where he made his assignment. That doesn't matter because the only thing your kid hears on the ride home is how he missed the one assignment, or didn't give 110% during practice. In the meantime, you have already made quirky comments at practice, talk about others behind their back, justify why some other kid didn't earn a spot and your's should be playing, etc...

Finally, it must be interesting what the coaches say about you, the parent. It's tough enough to get the full attention of a teenager for 2.5 hours. Imagine a teenager that knows they have to deal with the all too competitive mom or dad? How does a kid tell a too-competitive parent to leave them alone at practice, because what happens at practice doesn't stay there, right? The kid now knows if they make a mistake and the parent notices, the practice just became six hours a night because the parent won't let it go.

I may not know Luca or Credo, but you sure fit the profile of someone who would cause a practice to be closed for the good of the team, and more importantly... the good of your son who now only needs to deal with the 2.5 hours a night. BTW, did I mention... Your kid, who loves you, doesn't want you there! :bonk:
OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB »

Tenacious, I don't think it is possible to be to close to your kids. While there are some parents that try and live through there kids sports they are in the minority. Maybe you should suggest a gag order to all the Servite players not to talk to there parents about football because it may differ or interfere with what the coaches want :?? Just pay the tuition, show up at games and shut your pie hole right ? If you have a parent that's a problem at practice just friggen deal with them and don't punish all the other parents. I don't get to many practices since my Son has his license but I am glad that I have the option at his school weather he likes it or not. Olu's football motto is "INAM" It's not about me. Servite's must be win at all cost. Sounds like they are teaching great christian values to the kids over there :thumbsup:
INAM "It's not about me"
ExRep

Post by ExRep »

"Closed Practice"??????

I'm a bit confused as to what constitutes a "closed practice" session......I am related to a full time Servite employee who has close contact with the kids and the coaches as well as the administration.

Asked whether the football practices had been closed off to spectators, parents and others, the answer was that there was the same crowd of on-lookers as always......no perceptible difference and that there had been no word of such restrictions heard on the campus as far as that employee was concerned.

I do know that one father has been banished officially by the school....I think most know who that is. Could there be others......and are they expressing themselves on this messageboard.

I roll my eyes when I see such a claim made on this messageboard, or any other for that matter, and watch contributors start to pile on with righteous indignation and opinion....most of them with no knowledge of the claim or event. With each message and counterclaim the "truth" of the initial post becomes an accepted starting point for opinion and hearsay.

Is practice "closed" to all...or is it still open to all but a few?

I did a quick review of the posted messages and no one clearly asked if the opening claim was true?

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

The Servite administration has banished a father officially from FB practice? Maybe others?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

And the soap opera continues.

Can't wait for next week's episode.
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

It starts next week, so we'll have to wait until the following week's results. I agree with everyone, it's the parents who should have resolved this on their own, but instead, made the staff make the decision for them. It's a bummer for those who truly are there to enjoy versus those who want a piece of the action.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Tenacious, I don't know how to characterize your perspectives as anything other than (to state it charitably) "curious."
Tenacious
*This is about the kid who must learn and develop in 2.5 hours of practice a day, but has to deal with 6 hours a night because the parent attends practice.
If some of the parents are that weird, it really doesn't make any difference whether they observe practice or not. They are going to spend your theoretical six hours a night haranguing their kid either way and locking all the other parents and fans out of practice doesn't prevent that.
Tenacious
*YOUR KID DOESN'T WANT YOU THERE!!! But if they told you that, they would have to listen to your rants. So, the coaches become the bad guys because they want your kid to have a life outside the program. You won't let Them!
Maybe Servite parents are different from parents elsewhere, Tenacious, but in the world I inhabit it's the vast majority of parents who want their kids to have a life outside of HSFB - free of the year-round weightlifting, spring practice, passing league etc. etc. Maybe at Servite it's the other way around and, if so, then as I pointed out there is a real problem somewhere in that program
Tenacious
*Coaches closed practice because the coaches need the players to focus on improving versus hearing the parents banter in the background, offering suggestions for improvement.
This may seem like a uniquely insoluble problem to some, but the normal approach in a situation like that would be to tell those particular parents to get the hell off the field and be quiet.............as is expected at every other program I'm aware of.

Tenacious
Parents, we are too close to our kids and don't want them to fail at any costs! It's bad for the ego, and we feel the need to compensate for, or justify, why our kid failed by chirping with others........ the only thing your kid hears on the ride home is how he missed the one assignment, or didn't give 110% during practice....
At the risk of stating the obvious..................speak for yourself. If there is a problem with too many parents like that at Servite, then you have a parent problem. Those are the parents that should be dealt with. And if you're saying that the practices need to be closed to everyone because ALL the fans and parents are like that, then you have a HUGE parent problem.
Tenacious
I may not know Luca or Credo, but you sure fit the profile of someone who would cause a practice to be closed for the good of the team.........
Well, you've leapt to conclusions in just about every other paragraph on this post so I guess this one shouldn't be any different. No, my friend, you certainly do not know me. You might want to ask some of the people on this board who do just how acute your intuition is. But I do appreciate the comic relief.
Tenacious
....... I agree with everyone, it's the parents who should have resolved this on their own, but instead, made the staff make the decision for them. It's a bummer for those who truly are there to enjoy versus those who want a piece of the action.
Jesus. You're telling me that ther are parents at Servite who are disrupting practice, coming onto the field and generally making a nuisance of themselves and you think it's the remaining parents who should handle the situation? Are you serious?

Do you ever wonder why there is no persisting problem like this - at least that I've ever heard of - at JSerra or Santa Margarita or Mater Dei or DLS, to name just a few? Do you think that Coach Hartigan or Rollinson or Grady if parents were disrupting their practices would expect the hands-off parents to take care of the problem for them?

Do you know that Coach Hartigan when faced with a single episode of something like this 15 years ago told the player - a future NFL performer - and his a-hole father to get the hell out of his office and off campus and not to come back until and unless they apologized? You think Coach Welch or Rollinson would have done any less?

What do you expect? You think a posse of the hands-off parents are supposed to surround the guy and threatened to give him a Melvin or group nuggies if he doesn't straighten up?

For Christ's sake, if there's a few parents who are causing a disruption then they are the problem, not the entire community of parents and fans. But the next major problem would seem to be a coaching staff/administration that needs to man up and confront the bastards. I can't phuquing believe I need to give a tutorial on how to handle such a basic issue to a grown man. Either I am getting a gross misrepresentation of what is going on up there or there are some eunichs masquerading as administrators.....................................Luca
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

I will say, Servite threads are always highly entertaining.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

It's the holier than thou respondents that cheer for other teams that make Servite threads exciting. Boy, they can't wait to rip into the Friars each and every time something happens.

Some of the comments are so misguided, so out of place, and so lacking of any true knowledge of the situation at hand, its amazing. It's the real househusbands of the OC around this place.
AllGasNoBrakes

Post by AllGasNoBrakes »

downtothewire wrote:It's the holier than thou respondents that cheer for other teams that make Servite threads exciting. Boy, they can't wait to rip into the Friars each and every time something happens.

Some of the comments are so misguided, so out of place, and so lacking of any true knowledge of the situation at hand, its amazing. It's the real househusbands of the OC around this place.
Are you sure its not the holier than thou respondents who cheer for Servite that make Servite threads exciting?
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

Luca, not sure where you're going with that rant, but my hat is off for the effort (yes condescending)! Practices are closed starting Monday.... Hmmmm..... Maybe practices will open again some day in the future... not sure.... not the coach.... He seems pretty smart and seems to have good guidance, but those are all assumptions. After all he did graduate from Servite. Meanwhile school is doing pretty well with the decisions they have made - good track record. Now, I do know that each class is different... they all have their own quirks. Fajardo became a leader into the season. Felton was found to be a leader mid-season. Pauu (both) found their passion early senior seasons. Inman wasn't a starter at first. Niklas... well never mind... we need more Niklas's's's. This year's team must need some special Focus/Leadership to get their season going and an open practice must be a distraction (but again, an assumption). We'll see if there is an impact, especially playing a team like Edison in the upcoming week. Don't have a problem trying a closed practice. I can invision a coaching staff checking off a list of "obstacles" the team faces in order to maximize their potential. Maybe "closed practices" was next on the list? I wonder what the next line is? Maybe "Bring back parents for undying support because their kids really want them there criticizing their every move, or participating in every life-event, including a no-failure policy especially if your on your own (you know at practice)?" You never know. And again, most kids love and respect their parents, but they don't want (or need) them at practice. That's why, instead, during the school day, I watch my kid take tests and eat lunch and wait in the parking lot during dances. Oh wait, it's only important to be there for football practice. I don't get it. But, when I am there, watching my kid take a test, often I see another kid cheating and call him out to the teacher. That way my kid's GPA maintains a high status (that's if he isn't already leading the class - so I tell the other parents watching their kid take a test). Oh... tell me who should talk to the teacher first... the kid who experienced the lesson, or the parent who just sent an email or disrupted the class because his kid rec'd a bad grade? I'd say... keep the practices closed and see if it helps the team improve their focus and leadership. You never know.... if practices were closed week one, they would have stomped BG!
Luca

Post by Luca »

I believe you DO know where the discussion is headed, Tenacious. You simply don't want to acknowledge it.

There is a reason that a problem of this magnitude does not exist at JSerra, Santa Margarita, Mater Dei, Orange Lutheran, DLS, Loyola, Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks, etc. etc. At least I have never heard of anything approaching the level reported in this thread. Since many have acknowledged the issuse, I assume there is some basis for it.

The problem appears to be unique to Servite. If, as you imply and sounds probable, the problem is a particular group of parents then those parents are the issue and should be the focus of any response. The problem is not parenthood or parents/fans in general, you understand.

If a group of parents is the focus of the problem, it should not be a difficult problem to resolve in a more coherent fashion. You simply discipline those involved parents. When one of my kids stays out too late, I don't ground the entire family. But that's just me.

It's not that I much care about what transpires at Servite, per se. But I do have an interest in HSFB and its traditions and undeniable benefits for all.............IF it is managed correctly. That's why I so vehemently oppose athletic transfers and the year-round over the top demands on these kids. And when a group of unqualified parents disrupt this tradition, there is a right way to deal with it while preserving the traditions and there is a pusillanimous way...............Luca
beerseach

Post by beerseach »

Luca, I do believe these things occur at a lot of high schools. For some reason, Servite folks love to air their dirty laundry in this forum. Thats the biggest problem I see...
Luca

Post by Luca »

You may be right. I am not aware of this as a significant issue in any of the several parochial schools I'm familiar with, but in the remainder of the CIF and The City maybe parents disrupting practice is a a common issue.

But Servite is a relatively small private school. There is in theory supposed to be better control over such problems in a private school and it doesn't seem to me that, handled properly, you should have to lock out family and fans from simply watching practice.

It's a little bizarre in the parochial FB world but I can't tell from this thread exactly what the problem is. If it's just a handful of parents, then the response seems heavy-handed. If there are overwhelming numbers of over the top parents then the coaches have no choice, but the administration should have never let it get to this point in that event.........Luca
Last edited by Luca on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

Okay Luca, more respectfully now, I understand your response. I have a different view, but do respect yours.

Every team is different and coaches must find motivation to acheive the best results from the players. Let me change how I present this... lack of focus by, and leadership from, the players may be missing. The talent is there, but the desire to put it all together is not. Changing the rules to gain a better focus is all that has happened, and it involves the parents. Maybe the parents are part of the problem? Maybe it's the kids turning to their parents, when they should be looking for direction form the coaches? I don't know - all assumptions. It may change back if the players step up and produce at the level the coaches believe they are capable of playing. What I can tell you is when I challenge the Administration, AD, coaches, or any other participant, the results are pretty consistent and they stay the course.

I believe Servite overall makes pretty good decisions, for good reasons, and typically does not waiver. For that matter, I feel the same about MD (Rollo) and OLu (Peterson). I have had the priviledge to discuss very poinant topics and was impressed with their responses.

I trust there is a good and valid reason for closed practices, as opposed to some on this board (primarily those opposed to Gass and/or Servite) who believe in conspiracy theory or complexity. I do not have the same issues with transfers, although this year's group of Servite transfers abided by the same requirements and were put through the same challenges as others. They are here for more than football and have earned their keep away from the field. I do not believe reputable schools have a need to take in transfer-talent just to win. MD is a good example as well. However, I don't believe it is wrong if there is a fit and the requirements are met.

I also agree with Beerseach that all schools have this problem from time to time and manage it in different ways.