New Servite Coach

Who will be the next Friar Head Coach

A Former Friar Alumnus (Schonert, Garretson, Kalil, Beuerlein, etc.)
9%
A former Friar Coach (Garretson, Kalil, Smeltzer, Visser, etc.)
3%
Another Trinity Coach we can lure away (Jim Hartigan, MD's Eric Johnson, SJB's Chad Johnson)
13%
OC Coach (Ray Fenton, Dave White, Brett or Rob Johnson, Brian Barnes, Rob Frith, etc.)
34%
A not so local Calif. Coach (Matt Logan, John Carroll, Paul Cronin, etc.)
19%
An out of state Coach
9%
Someone who fits none of the above
13%

Total votes: 32

Lionhunter

New Servite Coach

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 pm

AJ Gass has decided to move on. I am not happy about this, but what can I do? Nothing, but turn my attention to the search for his successor. Who will it be? Will it be someone local? Someone from out of state? A former Friar player? A former Friar coach?

I have my favorites:

Former Friar and Cincinnati Bengals QB, and Buffalo Bills coach Turk Shonert
Former Friar player and coach Rick Garretson
Former Friar player and coach Frank Kalil
Former Friar and Carolina Panther QB Steve Beuerlein
Former Friar coach Ron Smeltzer
Former Friar Coach Ken Visser
Former Friar Lionhunter

Okay, Let's not get crazy here. I guess you probably see a pattern here.

Who do you think it will be?
Last edited by Lionhunter on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Lionhunter

Re: New Servite Coach

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 pm

I should probably clarify that this poll is about who you think it will be, rather than who you would like it to be.

Also, a few notes about the names I mentioned. I am pretty sure Hartigan would not consider it...after all, he is the AD at J Serra, and I don't believe that would be available at Servite.

I figured only one son of Bob Johnson's could take over for him at MV. Perhaps the other will try for the Servite Job. I mistakenly put Bob Johnson when I really ment his sons Brett and Rob.
Last edited by Lionhunter on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Ancich from Villa Park. Long time family ties to Angeles league

fbrightnow

Post by fbrightnow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:07 pm

You would have to think an OC or DC at one of the other Powerhouses would be considered if not one of the HC's. MD, JSerra, LBP, Bosco etc...

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah, I'd really love to steal Eric Johnson from MD. What a defense he had this season (and last season).

Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:26 am

Speaking of the name Johnson. C Johnson from Bosco has to be a name that is likely being considered by all big time vacancies. Brains behind that dynamic offense.

footballfan50

Post by footballfan50 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:49 am

I think Frith from El Toro would be a great hire but not sure that type of school fits his personality. He likes building and competing from and with the local resources. From a coaching perspective I think he would be a great hire however.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:53 am

Actually Sammy , Ancich would be a great fit and would probably get Servite a few titles.
Smash mouth and Defense.
Good family pedigree. :mex:
He knows how to recruit too!

scj60

Post by scj60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:17 am

Sammy:

If Dusan got the job it would be a little disconcerting seeing Marijon hanging out on the Servite side cheering for the Friars. LOL :D :D :D

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:40 am

I'm not against Ancich, but a little concerned about the 63-0 loss to MD by the Spartans this season.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 am

Servite should bring Ray Dunne back to head up the search for a new coach. I'm sure he could find a coach from the Pacific Coast League with a history of losing to take the job. How would that hire go over with Servite faithful?

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:27 am

Now that is funny... :lol:

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am

I haven't been all that favorable to the possibility of Matt Logan coming to Servite, because he never seems to have a decent defense. But now I think we should try and get him just to keep him from going to MD when Rollo retires. Can you imagine what a nightmare that would be for every other team, if Logan went to MD and kept Eric Johnson on the staff to handle the defense??? :shock:

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Get a top coordinator from a major program like DLS, SJB, Gorman, etc.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Harry Welch...

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:34 pm

According to Dallas Jackson, three prominent coaches from out of state have already expressed interest.

Trinity league coach is seen as a premier position on a national level.

BoscoWillBeBack

Post by BoscoWillBeBack » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Nah, watch Servite hire the JV offensive coordinator and say "We'd like to stay home. Credo!"

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Here I am back where we started 2 years ago.

#1 National search again. We have re-interest from coaches that applied two years ago. A couple were really well liked but they were asking for too much financially. They wanted to bring in key staff members as well that needed to get paid a certain amount. The admin here was just not willing to do that at that time. Aj was already on staff and he got a measly bump in pay and discounted rent for one of the homes Servite owns next to campus on Wichita.
The school actually saved tons of money because they got rid of TT's pay and like I said AJ's bump in pay was extremely minor. These out of state/area coaches would have cost the school over an additional 250K+ a year if they were hired because they wanted to bring multiple assistants. Servite went the cheap route saving over 100K a year.

#2 The school is looking for some old alumni benafactors to help out with this hire. Otherwise we can barely afford the DB coach at Western or Savanna HS right now.

#3 Local coaches
a. Logan. Our first choice obviously...AGAIN. He turned us down before and again because #1 he does not want to deal with tuition. His star players JJ Taylor, McKinley etc. do not ever pay tuition and he never has that headache. You have no idea how often a parent wants to wheel and deal with tuition. He does not have that headache and after speaking with him last time does not want to add that headache to his plate.
You would be shocked what some kids pay or should I say don't pay here or at other privates.
He is guaranteed a league title, good seeding into the Pac-5 playoffs and proven he can win a Pac 5 title at CC. Why in the heck would he want to start over. Lack of admin support, most likely a cut in pay, having to deal with tuition headaches. Etc, etc, etc... Coach against the Trinity? He already gets to do that and will continue to do that while at CC. Sure he is wanted here but I would be extremely skeptically why he would want to take the job here. Why? I cant think of even 1 sincere reason.
b. hartigan. Our AD Clinton loves him. But Hartigan is the AD and HC and I guarantee no way can we match what he gets paid at JSerra. They are rolling there and again he is wanted here but I would be scratching my head if he would make that move. Why?
c. E Johnson. Now that is something I can see happening. Heard he is itching to be a head coach again. Has seen a overall dramatic drop in talent at MD. Does not have much coming back next year. Front 7 is almost entirely gone and a couple below average DB's return. Great time for this move.
d. D White. You obviously were not at the Edison-Servite game this year. LOL What happened after the game and how D White acted ruined any chance he ever had.
e. Mazzota. He was always a hot name years ago but...blah. Lets Hope not
f. Fenton. Struggled this year at FV going 5-5. Don't know if he knows anything about private school football.
g. C Johnson. Two of our best players Bynum and Lytle played for him at Bosco and transferred for lack of playing time and their dads are big headaches. Ring leaders of the problem dads and he knows that. No way he wants to come here and re-unite with these dads/players. Would you take the job knowing ur best WR and starting QB quit your previous team and transferred because they didn't want to be career back-ups. Hes much smarter than that.

Very few alumni are still coaching that would make viable candidates.
Kalil just got fired from the school for his roll in the Edison deal.
Garretson is doing well at Chandler, AZ. They were national ranked. Maybe?
Beuerlein is not going to be the HC at Servite, LOL. :shrug:
Matt Mitchell could come back I guess, Drazanik - doubtfull. Harry Welch - that might be interesting.
Barnes is past his prime. That would be comical.
Johnson Rob and/or Brett. Think they are happy winning little school trophies. But maybe?

Don't expect a name soon. If I have to guess a coach from out of the area that is willing to move here by himself and coach his coaches up. Similar to Peterson at OLU.

I would love to see some of you message board guru's apply. Would love to see you up on the chalkboard.
Last edited by credofriar on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FB.Ronin.OC

Post by FB.Ronin.OC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:42 pm

I have a feeling that Servite is "Once bitten, twice shy," when it comes to hiring any Barnes (Young or Old), but at this point who knows what the administration is thinking. Starting to look worse and worse to high level coaches from oc when the two most recent coaches say similar things on their way out the door: From The LATimes.com

"After spending just two years as head coach at his alma mater, Servite, A.J. Gass announced on Tuesday that he had resigned to become the head coach at Bakersfield Garces. That's a big change in areas and teams. Why? Gass, in a text message, said, "It feels great to have the opportunity to build a program from the ground up that reflects my style of football while having support from the top down.""

Lack of support from the top down & and an inability to install and coach "his style" of football, not really what a high level coach is looking for. From what I know of the situation, when Troy left Servite it happened like this. Crespi offered him the job at a price (below the $100k that others have brought up on another thread) but slightly higher than what Servite was currently offering him. Troy went to the Servite administration and said he would like to stay but would need them to match the price. The administration essentially told him to enjoy his new job at Crespi and to go kick rocks.

Trinity League Football is = to College Football as far as revenue & exposure for their schools and their coaches (for the most part) are handsomely compensated for it. How many other high school sports get national exposure, routinely have games on ESPN & Fox Sports and create name recognition for their school beyond the local competition?
Like it or not the Trinity League is the SEC of high school football, unfortunately for Servite if they aren't willing to change the way the administration handles the hiring of their next football coach, J. Serra has vacated the role of Kentucky Football so there's an opening for Servite in the pecking order.

My pick would be the Corona Del Mar Coach for 2 reasons:
1. Copying Bosco. Take a chance on a "younger" proven coach from the OC area who knows how to win and how to make sure talent wants to come win with him... (and if he fails then the administration can say "we brought in a state champion/proven winner, we're trying")
2. It's the perfect time for the CDM coach and (some of his) staff to make a move. Their run is winding down and the writing has been on the wall for a while. Jump ship now while still being able to be "the guy" who brought them up and before the wheels fall off. If he takes the Servite job and fails then he can add Trinity League Head Coach to his resume before excepting his next high level coaching job.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for that info CredoFriar. Some real good points.