New Servite Coach

Who will be the next Friar Head Coach

A Former Friar Alumnus (Schonert, Garretson, Kalil, Beuerlein, etc.)
9%
A former Friar Coach (Garretson, Kalil, Smeltzer, Visser, etc.)
3%
Another Trinity Coach we can lure away (Jim Hartigan, MD's Eric Johnson, SJB's Chad Johnson)
13%
OC Coach (Ray Fenton, Dave White, Brett or Rob Johnson, Brian Barnes, Rob Frith, etc.)
34%
A not so local Calif. Coach (Matt Logan, John Carroll, Paul Cronin, etc.)
19%
An out of state Coach
9%
Someone who fits none of the above
13%

Total votes: 32

Dailydose

Re: New Servite Coach

Post by Dailydose » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 am

The people who created the divide were the administration and the parents who worked at the school and complained that their kid/s are not playing the position they wanted to play. School chose the parents over Thomas. He was tired of the unloyalty and who wouldn't be. Same scenario happened last year with a parent who worked at the school.

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 am

Dailydose, Thomas has a way of alienating people, not just disgruntled parents. His end of tenure at Servite mirrored what occurred at Crespi his first go round and if he doesn't change his ways a bit, it will end at Crespi the second time just as acrimoniously. He definitely has proven he can win but he has also proven he can put a stinker out there and lose games maybe his teams shouldn't have. He is not immune to that. His time at Servite was over. He seems to be one of those Bill Parcells types where after a period of time its just time for both parties to move on. My guess is had Servite hired a more competent staff to replace Thomas, the players who "loved" him may not have "loved" him as much. Look what they had to compare him to...

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:40 am

That's all fine and dandy. But the fact of the matter is certain parents had the schools ear and it just happens to be the parents who work at the school in various positions and had sons on the team. That should not happen. You are well aware of who and agreed.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:49 am

Thomas was not a people person. Everyone knows that. He was also a totalitarian when it came to running his program. He was not a "Servite guy" so he may not have paid enough homage to the Servite traditions or "Servite way" to make the hardliners happy. The guy can coach and obviously can build a winner. What he accomplished at Servite in a relatively short time will be incredibly difficult to replicate. Look how dominate Bosco has been perceived the past few years and yet they weren't able to do it with loads of D-1 talent. The Thomas era was a glorious time for Servite football overall and that needs to be recognized.

Generally speaking, parents have zero business giving the school input on playing time or even bending the administration's ear on anything football related. In turn, unless the coach is engaging in tactics that are completely contrary to school policy, the admin needs to let the coaches coach and the players play. Parents are not coaches and essentially they need to keep a comfortable distance from the Xs and Os as well as playing time decisions. Hopefully a strong willed coach, with administration support, can put an end to that nonsense that was going on previously. Passion is good but when it causes distractions to the team, then it needs to be stopped.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am

Parents who work at the school with kids on the team who probably weren't starting or playing much? Bet that went over well.

Those parents might mean well but they can't see a situation objectively. If there was a problem, let other parents bring it up, not the parents who work for the school.

Thomas had all the control and support and won and was hated. Gass had no control or support and lost and was vilified.

Scott Meyer?

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am

I agree that some parents were over zealous but every program has that. Its debatable that these over zealous parents were the reason Thomas left or was let go. No one will ever know one way or the other. But Thomas's history speaks for itself. His schtick wore thin at two different schools now. No one can ever argue his degree of success at either school. The dude got it done on the field for sure. But for some reason schools were willing to let that go because of a laundry list of other issues other than just winning. One can win and accomplish off the field success too. There is a way of doing both. It does not have to be one or the other...

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 am

Thats right Beerseach. Hopefully Servite has a guy that can do both now. I think for now the Servite community needs to fully embrace him and support him so that the ship can be righted. My feeling is that most people are pretty happy with the hire so at least we are off to a good start.

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am

FriarJoe, I think the Servite admin for as much grief as they have received over the last few years (much of it deserved) got this one as right as possible. I hope people realize there will be some growing pains for a season or two but I'm thinking the rewards will outweigh those in the long run. Good Luck to Coach Meyer...

Friar4life

Post by Friar4life » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:33 am

I don't think anyone is trying to vilify Troy Thomas or A. J. Gass.

With coach Thomas, the "fit" just wasn't right. The "Formation Program" is a very big part of Servite and Thomas never really bought in to it. During those years, rather than being part of formation, the football program took on a life of it's own. Coach Thomas had his own little fiefdom. He ran the program as a dictator. There was no room for other opinions. I cannot begin to count the number of assistant coaches, offensive and defensive coordinators, etc., that were fired and dismissed by Thomas. Coach Jako quit coaching the Frosh during the Thomas years. Coach drazanek quit coaching and went to El Modina. Matt Mitchell, the offensive coordinator during the CIF and State years was fired.

Grades are a big deal at Servite. Every week, coaches are supposed to do grade checks. Coach Thomas did not check the grades of his starters because he did not want to play football without them.

If you were not a starter, Coach Thomas had no time for you. The non starters were treated poorly or ignored.

Most of those things were overlooked in the short term by the administration, but as time wore on, the divergence between Coach Thomas' goals and Servite's grew. In the end, they were irreconcilable. They were going in opposite directions. It was simply time for a change.

A. J. is not a villain. He is a Servite guy to the core. He just was not a very good head football coach. He had no head coaching experience. He could not instill dicipline. He could not dicipline or control those players that needed dicipline. He could not deal effectivily with a handfull of parents who wanted to coach from the sidelines. Rather than dealing with those few "problem parents" he closed practices and banned all parents. He was a good guy,he just was not up to the task and the Trinity League is no place for on the job training.

Coach Meyer appears to be the real deal. He obviously has the football knowledge and skills to win. He is able to instill trust and dicipline. He was well liked at CDM by kids and parents. I believe he will be a great fit at Servite.

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:19 am

Troy T. brought in discipline. Very important especially with a program that attracts a lot of talented athelets. I guarantee one thing,if TT was still the HC. There wouldn't be any of these circus acts that went on last season. Goes both to players and parents. Coach's like TT,kunau,Johnson, Rollinsin etc.,had a lot of their success from discipline. There way or the highway attitude.

Friar4life

Post by Friar4life » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:15 pm

NAPOLEON:

I will agree that T. Thomas brough dicipline. You're probably correct that some of the "circus" from last year would not have occurred. That kind of goes back to my saying that A.J was not up to the job as head coach. he had no idea how to deal with the drauma created by a few primadonas and a few parents. That's not to say that there would not have been other circus acts going on. Troy created some circuses of his own, like dismissing one of the best offensive coordianators in the county and several other assistants mid season and over-scheduling the program (DLS and Gorman) every year.

Meyer will bring the dicipline. Hopefully he'll be more even-handed than Troy Thomas (often mistaken for Napoleon).

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Postby Friar4life » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 am
"I don't think anyone is trying to vilify Troy Thomas or A. J. Gass."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friar4life - read your last two posts and look up the word "vilify".

I can't make much sense of all the different opinions about TT at Servite, but lots of guys are shooting from the hip inaccurately about why he left Crespi, and the Celts went south fast after two or so years, when the players he coached graduated. He had legitimate gripes about the administration, which was overhauled at the top some two years ago, and then anxious to have Thomas back. Doesn't add up that Crespi got sick of him, then wanted him back badly.

I've said it before-I don't know how much money it would take for me to put up with the drama of HSFB, but it's lots more than any of these guys get paid.

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Ventura, like you said, admin overhaul. New admin wanted him back and why not? He does a great job. Rumor was the old admin was just as tired of him as he was of them. Hes back now and it looks like it is paying dividends although with only 65 kids in the program the last couple of years they must be getting their money from other sources. Thats not a lot of tuition or fees coming in...

OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:43 pm

For the Servite faithful Scott Meyer will be interviewed today at 7 pm eastern time on HSFB America.
http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/hs ... adio-show/
INAM "It's not about me"

Friar4life

Post by Friar4life » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:20 pm

I listened to the interview with Coach Scott Meyer on HSFB America. This guy sounds like the real deal. I think Servite will see great success under its new coach. I look for a short turn around of the program. Go Friars!!

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:34 pm

I heard the interview too and came away with a positive impression. I liked his demeanor and the preliminary goals he has set for the program. I also like the fact that he is focusing on putting together his staff now. That was a concern the past couple of years and I think ultimately was a big factor in the underachievement of the team. It is a good sign that some of his CDM coaches will be coming as continuity within a coaching staff is important.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Thomas is a Servite guy. He took our Hut Drill...oh wait...
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Missed the Meyer interview, what did he say about the bagpipes?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 pm

You can still click the link above and hear the whole interview. It starts around the 35 minute mark and is about 20 minutes long.

No mention of bagpipes tho.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Bagpipes was/is a Crespi thing. It seemed out of place at Servite.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.