servite/crespi

ventura

servite/crespi

Post by ventura »

First big game for Crespi. First game that will be a measuring stick. The Utah opponent remains an unknown for me, and Birmingham is evidently weak this year.

I was surprised to see the Celts not out-physicalled last year in the semis vs. the Friars. I will be very curious Friday to see how that part of the war goes. I anticipate a lot of whacking out there. Crespi is very young still, with two more sophs starting on the d-line to go with a bunch of other underclassmen.

To the usual throng coming from Friar Town: I don't know what Crespi holds, but it's not much. Better come early. The field is state of the art but the place is small. Pierce College's space will be missed for a few games this year.

Strange feeling having Coach Thomas come back. Without him having come back to Crespi a few years back, the Celts would still be in Div. X, having knock down, drag outs with the Burbank Bulldogs. He inherited a team that had won just one game in two years, and transformed them completely in three years.

Ventura
Sports Junkie

Re: servite/crespi

Post by Sports Junkie »

ventura wrote:First big game for Crespi. First game that will be a measuring stick. The Utah opponent remains an unknown for me, and Birmingham is evidently weak this year.

I was surprised to see the Celts not out-physicalled last year in the semis vs. the Friars. I will be very curious Friday to see how that part of the war goes. I anticipate a lot of whacking out there. Crespi is very young still, with two more sophs starting on the d-line to go with a bunch of other underclassmen.

To the usual throng coming from Friar Town: I don't know what Crespi holds, but it's not much. Better come early. The field is state of the art but the place is small. Pierce College's space will be missed for a few games this year.

Strange feeling having Coach Thomas come back. Without him having come back to Crespi a few years back, the Celts would still be in Div. X, having knock down, drag outs with the Burbank Bulldogs. He inherited a team that had won just one game in two years, and transformed them completely in three years.

Ventura
My question is...Will Coach Thomas bring with him on the road the ridiculous bagpipe players that have nothing to do with Servite or a Friars to lead his team on to the field? And if so, will the Crespi faithful fall out of their seats from laughter and/or disbelief?
Credo

Ventura

Post by Credo »

I'm really looking forward to this one. Our guys are young but hungry.
Your story about Coach Thomas is a familiar one for Servite fans. He turned our program around in a hurry. This senior class is the first to play under Thomas' system for all four years.
I have high hopes as I do every year.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

ventura wrote:First big game for Crespi. First game that will be a measuring stick. The Utah opponent remains an unknown for me, and Birmingham is evidently weak this year.

Ventura
Hello, Ventura.

Should be a great game. CalPreps has Crespi favored by 3.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
Credo

Post by Credo »

Hi Lionhunter,

Are you coming out for the MD game again this year?
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Credo wrote:Hi Lionhunter,

Are you coming out for the MD game again this year?
Hello Credo,

You bet I am! I just read that it will be at Cal State Fullerton this year. Gonna have to get there early.
Credo

Post by Credo »

I recommend getting tickets early through the school as well.
A lot of people are going to end up tailgating during the game. Meanwhile, let's see what we can do with Crespi.
It would sure be nice to get out of Encino with a 3-0 record.
Bigbear

Post by Bigbear »

For those who can't make this game, it will be on vootage.

http://www.vootage.com/game/details/565
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Bigbear wrote:For those who can't make this game, it will be on vootage.

http://www.vootage.com/game/details/565
Excellent Bigbear, Thank You.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

I'm pulling for Servite considering the Serra League needs to be beaten for beating OLU. I don't think it'll be a blow out either way, definitely low scoring much like last year's game. Crespi is probably favored by a FG or so. I'm probably picking Servite this week in the pool against my better judgment.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
RPW

Post by RPW »

Sports Junkie wrote:
My question is... 1. Will Coach Thomas bring with him on the road the ridiculous bagpipe players that have nothing to do with Servite or a Friars to lead his team on to the field? 2. And if so, will the Crespi faithful fall out of their seats from laughter and/or disbelief?
1. Yes
2. No
blknyt

Post by blknyt »

Sports Junkie wrote:
My question is...Will Coach Thomas bring with him on the road the ridiculous bagpipe players that have nothing to do with Servite or a Friars to lead his team on to the field? And if so, will the Crespi faithful fall out of their seats from laughter and/or disbelief?
Wow. That's a little harsh, SJ.
Although I'm connected with OLU, I LOVE the pipers. It's a great tradition and you know it jacks up the Servite players and fans. My only complaint is that we didn't think of it first...
ventura

Post by ventura »

Notorious wrote:I'm pulling for Servite considering the Serra League needs to be beaten for beating OLU. I don't think it'll be a blow out either way, definitely low scoring much like last year's game. Crespi is probably favored by a FG or so. I'm probably picking Servite this week in the pool against my better judgment.

Notorious and Friars -

Amat/OLU definitely a shocker. Wouldn't have picked it in a million years to begin with, and to lose after being up by 24 is way more strange. Amat may be on a VERY fast rise from the ashes of last year.

Re this match up, although it could be low scoring, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. If Bennett can find them, there should be some open, fast receivers in Crespi's aggressive spread offense. He did not have a good game against B-ham, IMO, and if he gets hot, look out. On the other side, Crespi's shut out is deceiving. In the first half especially, the Patriots moved the ball, and had I think two long ones called back by penalties. They also fumbled right at Crespi's goal line, the call could have gone either way on the ground causing it, and it ended up rolling into the end zone with the Celts recovering. So I'm saying the Friars might well put up some points too. I will be surprised, though, if it's not a close game. I believe both teams are mentally tough and not easy to blow out.

Lots of big games for Crespi this year, but this might turn out being my favorite.

Ventura
ExRep

Post by ExRep »

ventura wrote:

Notorious and Friars -

Amat/OLU definitely a shocker. Wouldn't have picked it in a million years to begin with, and to lose after being up by 24 is way more strange. Amat may be on a VERY fast rise from the ashes of last year.

Re this match up, although it could be low scoring, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. If Bennett can find them, there should be some open, fast receivers in Crespi's aggressive spread offense. He did not have a good game against B-ham, IMO, and if he gets hot, look out. On the other side, Crespi's shut out is deceiving. In the first half especially, the Patriots moved the ball, and had I think two long ones called back by penalties. They also fumbled right at Crespi's goal line, the call could have gone either way on the ground causing it, and it ended up rolling into the end zone with the Celts recovering. So I'm saying the Friars might well put up some points too. I will be surprised, though, if it's not a close game. I believe both teams are mentally tough and not easy to blow out.

Lots of big games for Crespi this year, but this might turn out being my favorite.

Ventura
Ventura,

I have always enjoyed your posts. Always intelligent, balanced and fair.
I missed the Crespi/Servite playoff game last season because I was out of town. I'd have much rather been at Home Depot Stadium that night. What a disappointment when the friars lost by such a small margin in a tough physical game.

Could be different this year..

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Should be a good match up, both teams look fairly similar with speed at the skill positions and some fighters in the trenches. I bet you the game goes to whichever team can run the ball better to open up the passing attack.
Wolves

servite/crespi

Post by Wolves »

The question is will the Friars be able to rally without a pep talk from the Roach.
Was the Roach squashed by a Mater Dei tailgater?

Has he been put in jail for being over the limit?

I will say young Friars good luck to you! Come out and be the Men of Black.
Hit like you have never hit before! You will remember this night for the rest of your lives.
There will be no other chances to get revenge from last year.

Credo!
edac25

Post by edac25 »

Ventura
Ventura,

I was surprised to see the Celts ranked so high this year especially after their top 4 players on both sides of the ball graduated. Shanks and Woods were their best ball carriers as well as their best DB/LB. Fauria was their go-to guy as a WR and was also a dominant DE and finally Fields was easily the key to their ability to stop the run as a dominating DT as well as arguably their best OL. Did they receive some big time transfers this season?

Looking forward to making the dirve out to Encino this Friday. Should be a great game.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Ventura,

I was surprised to see the Celts ranked so high this year especially after their top 4 players on both sides of the ball graduated. Shanks and Woods were their best ball carriers as well as their best DB/LB. Fauria was their go-to guy as a WR and was also a dominant DE and finally Fields was easily the key to their ability to stop the run as a dominating DT as well as arguably their best OL. Did they receive some big time transfers this season?

Looking forward to making the dirve out to Encino this Friday. Should be a great game.[/quote]

Edac -

All of the above is true. This year they are deeper with less two way guys, but to what extent the above shoes have been filled will be told Friday. Lots of talent has been coming to Crespi the past three or four years. But possibly their best returning LB was expelled. A good transfer came in from a school that shut down in the valley (Khalil Bass), and he looked solid against B-ham, if not dominating. A high profile wr/db came in from Los Alamitos (Graves), but he has not been cleared to play. Not sure what the problem is, supposedly he has been living in the valley all summer. Then there's this guy that came from St. Bernards, about 6'7" and in the high three hundred # range (!), but apparently he hasn't been cleared to play either. I'm not a student of the transfer rules and have been worried about Crespi getting this talent. I hope it's just a function of good talent wanting to come to a solid program, but there is too much coming after freshman year and frankly I don't like it.

Mckibbons is a very solid running back (played mostly back up last year), and the Celts have a good sophomore and a solid junior rb too. But so far not the home run threat of Shanks - he was such a pleasure to watch.
QB Bennett is bigger and stronger this year, and if he has a good game vs. Servite I like our chances. Cummings, Island and two or three other receivers are all fast, and I think their hands are decent.
Sounds like Servite is onto a good thing from the freshman class up. Hope your coach stays through the years and you continue with your success. But not on Friday.

If I see any Servite tailgaters I hope to stop by and say hi.
ventura

Post by ventura »

ExRep wrote:
Ventura,

I have always enjoyed your posts. Always intelligent, balanced and fair.
I missed the Crespi/Servite playoff game last season because I was out of town. I'd have much rather been at Home Depot Stadium that night. What a disappointment when the friars lost by such a small margin in a tough physical game.

Could be different this year..

Ex
Ex -

You gonna be there? I love the match ups where I really don't know what to expect, and this is one of them. In the two losses I saw for Crespi last year (Corona Cent. and LB Poly), the Celts were mentally very tough - no lay downs. I expect that from both sides this year, so it should be close. I'm normally a very lousy loser, but I've admired Servite from afar and hope it won't ruin my weekend if the Celts come out on the short end.

There is going to be some hitting going on, that's for sure.

Appreciate the compliment.

Ventura
perspixx

Post by perspixx »

Both coaching staffs are telling their players that the winning team gets a co-ed campus.