Servite Football 2015

new

Re: Servite Football 2015

Post by new » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 am

2 of those kids are the younger StBrown brothers, people can say what they will about there Dad but he has done a great job in this department IMO! I know Bynum has a few offers and I was told Riley was offered by Colorado St. Is this true and are there any others?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:19 am

The other receiver Bynum has offers and the MLB Duarte will definitely be getting offers. Even with the transfers, the cupboard is hardly bare at Servite. The big questions are going to be on the offensive and defensive fronts. That's where most games are won.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:57 am

Plenty of skill position talent. Servite needs horses up front. That's why losing Tavi was huge.

But with proper strength training, something non existent for the last two years, we might be ok.

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 am

I have a feeling some of that skill depth could disappear. I really like what I have seen out of the JV QB though. He fills out and he could be the next Travis Waller...

Servite sorely lacks the hogs up front. Not much talent and ZERO depth in the lines...

new

Post by new » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 am

He can throw the ball, but he cannot run like Waller

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 am

At the JV level he was pretty effective running the ball. Maybe he won't be as good a runner as Waller but if this new coach has a clue, he won't have to be. A high school team's whole game plan and scheme should not revolve around one player...

new

Post by new » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:31 am

Johnson was the QB that could run and was a beast. I personally don't remember lytle running very well. But like you said, hopefully he does not need to

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:01 am

Towards the end of the year Lytle ran better than he had earlier in the season, but yes Johnson was the runner, which is why they moved him to RB, which is why he transferred....

footballislife

Post by footballislife » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:28 pm

I think Servite having a pass first QB is a good thing for a number of reasons to include attracting talent. Lytle moves really well and enough to gain yards and avoid a rush. The other QB runs tough like a RB/FB type kid. He would have been good keep also. I remember Travis in the early days. Travis' speed came later in his JR year. e was a little awkward early on. Trinity as a whole has some nice talent lining up. Personally I am looking forward to seeing KJ of RSM toss it around.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

by downtothewire » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

Plenty of skill position talent. Servite needs horses up front. That's why losing Tavi was huge.

But with proper strength training, something non existent for the last two years, we might be ok.
This is a good take on the situation. Losing Tavi was huge, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he regrets that move now that we have Coach Meyer.

Your second sentence is right on also, though I'd add endurance conditioning is equally important.

I am a Friar fanatic, as everyone knows, but even I don't think Coach Meyer can turn us around so quickly that we are a serious threat to Bishop Gorman this season like Napolean suggested. I do however expect to make the playoffs this season, and I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be a serious Pac 5 contender in 2016.

Of the four underclassmen who hold D1 offers right now, only one will be a senior in 2015. The other three along with QB Lytle will hopefully still be around in 2016.

As was pointed out by more than one poster above, those are skill position players, and we need to produce, or develop quality big men. I like Solomon and Ramirez for starters, and maybe we can talk Leuta and/or Tafua into joining the party.

Another kid I'm excited about, and I've mentioned him before, is John Bueras. I think he just might end up being a three year starter on DL.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Over the entire history of the Trinity league, I can think of only one coach who has come in and had even a winning initial season. That was Coach Welch at Santa Margarita in 2010. Every other coach, including Troy Thomas and Jason Negro, has had a sub 500 initial season.

Who do you think Servite will beat in the league to enable them to make the playoffs? It won't be Mater Dei or Bosco or JSerra. They are not likely to beat Santa Margarita and I have no idea what Lutheran has coming back. Given a best possible 2-3 preseason, how can the team "expect to make the playoffs"?................Luca

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Luca,

Troy Thomas' first Trinity League season he was (8-4, 4-1), Co Champs with Orange Lutheran, whom he defeated. That was his second season at Servite...His first was (10-3, 4-1) Co-Champs of the Serra League with MD, to whom he lost.

I don't know who Servite will defeat in league this coming season, but I don't think any of those teams are impossible to defeat by any means. Do you think Loyola, SMCHS, SJ Bosco or Bishop Amat expected Troy Thomas would take a 2-8 team from worst to first by beating all of them?

And remember, Servite made the playoffs at 1-4 this past season, and 2-3 the year before.

Luca

Post by Luca » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:08 am

My recollection – via Maxpreps – is that Troy Thomas was 2-8 in 2004 with Servite, his initial season. It was technically the "Serra league" at that time, but the point remains that no coach has come into the league and been successful immediately.

We can be pedantic about the name change from "Serra" to "Trinity", in which case Coaches Kunau and Jacot were actually the most successful "new" coaches - for whatever point that would make - but I assume you understand what I'm saying.

Getting into the playoffs with a 1-4 league record is a joke and I would hope the CIF would not repeat that mistake. If they do then I would agree with you that Servite could make the playoffs in that event but at this point I'm not sure I concede a 1-4 record in league. One of the more interesting aspects of following these teams is the cycles they go through. Every team in the league has them. Five of the six teams have won CIF and/or state champions in the not so distant past and shortly thereafter become also-rans in the league. Currently Bosco and JSerra are up while Santa Margarita, Lutheran and Servite are down.

That's life. That's what people say. Riding high in April, shot down in May...................Luca
Last edited by Luca on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 am

No, Larry Toner was the coach in 2004.

http://www.servitehs.org/page.cfm?p=915
Last edited by Lionhunter on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

OCND3

Post by OCND3 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:27 am

Servite won league (co) and went to the semi-finals in Thomas’ first year. The year prior, they were 2-8 under Larry Toner.

$hivawarrior

Post by $hivawarrior » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 am

Maxpreps is incorrect, they contradict themselves on two separate pages regarding the tenure of Troy Thomas. The information in the link for the servite website is correct. He started 10-3 with a share of the league title. 7 straight years of at least co-champs, that's pretty impressive

http://www.servitehs.org/page.cfm?p=915

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:37 am

Luca, I'm not sure if I disagree or agree with your statement that a 1-4 Trinity League Servite team making the playoffs is a joke. I ask myself is it a joke? I want to say yes but I can't. Three teams from the Moore league are guaranteed playoff spots same from Corona Centennials league. That to me is the JOKE. Other than LB Poly (who needed a Servite choke job to beat that 1-4 Servite team by 1 point) and Corona Centennial, none of the other teams in either of those leagues would win a game in the Trinity league, except for a once in a ten year blue moon. If it was like basketball where an 0-10 team makes the playoffs 3 divisions down I would understand the frustration. But Servite was still placed in the top division for football and should have beaten a Pac 5 Semi final team (it could be argued anyway). So that being said, I can't totally agree that a 1-4 Trinity League team should not make the playoffs if all other criteria are satisfied. N ot when those other awful sorry azz leagues are gonna take up 4 spots in the Pac 5 every year. Thats not just a joke but a crime...

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

Thomas won league and had a winning record every year at Servite until his losing season in 2012. His first year was 2005. Like Welch, he inherited a team with lots of talent.

beerseach

Post by beerseach » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:45 am

Luca, what many consider the best team in SM history went 3-2 in the Trinity League (2011). I just think when it comes to playoffs, the Trinity League should get the benefit of the doubt 99.9999% of the time.....

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 am

Luca,

As to your other points, I agree that making the playoffs at 1-4 is wrong. However, if we're going to go back to having only the top one, or two, or three from each league, then we've got the same problem that the Pac 5 as a whole has...All your best teams in one league or division, means the teams left out of the playoffs are better than many of the teams in the playoffs from weaker leagues or divisions.

It's too early to tell who is going to beat whom in this day and age. We still don't know who is transferring in or out of all these teams. As it stands now, however, all of these teams have questions. Bosco appears to be the top team right now, but even they have to find a replacement for Rosen, and improve their defense, and keep McGrew healthy. MD has to choose a new QB, and has to replace most of their front seven that was so dominant. J Serra has lost a lot including the most underrated QB in the league, and there was a report that they lost Vander, although I don't think that's true. SM has a QB who is notoriously erratic, and Orange Lutheran looks to be improved, but they have to prove that, just like Servite does.

Seriously, leaving Servite out of the discussion (so as to eliminate bias of the heart), I have no idea how to predict the order of finish of the other 5. After Bosco, any one of the other five could finish 2nd, or finish last.

No way to know yet.