Servite/Crespi..."As good as it gets"

ExRep

Servite/Crespi..."As good as it gets"

Post by ExRep »

What a game! Perhaps it can best be summed up by what I overheard one of a trio of "old timers" leaving the game say to his buddies.."Great game....that was as good as high school football gets."

Would have been a lot better if Servite's #15 had made the winning field goal in the last .7 (thats seven tenths) of a second left in the game. That attempt was from the 45 yard line and fell short just feet of going through the uprights. A perfect example of the adage about footbal being a "game of inches".

Servite and Crespi are evenly matched..it being fair to say that Crespi could have easily lost this game. In my opinion, Servite's defense, once the jitters left them, held Crespi's offense in control...pretty much shutting down the center of the line to Crespi's running backs. One of Crespi's great strengths is in the long pass. That quarterback has a great arm. He threw several rockets deep downfield to connect with some very nimble, fast, and able receivers.

I really need to get to bed, so I will continue this Saturday a.m.

Ex

Well, I was literally falling asleep at the keyboard this mid-morning when I signed off. So here are some additional observations about the game and the Friar team that were swimming in my head last night.

First...it is true that Loftus had to kick off of the "grass" because a tee could not be found. I thought that setup looked odd. That kicked ball sailed as true as anyone could want, just too short. I imagine there is someone in that Friar organization who wants to kick some hind end, and they don't need a tee.

Fajardo overall looked very good. There were mistakes and some poor choices made that stem from his lack of experience. But he is a leader and will get better with each game. His poise is impressive.
It will have to be, given the fact that he will be leading a team that has been placed into a very tough pre-league schedule.

Crespi is fielding an excellent team this year. I have seen last year's playoff game on DVD. Servite and Crespi looked evenly matched in that game. I felt the same way about last night. I think that Servite largely dominated Friday's game. But we lost due to some typical all-to-human mistakes and miscues. Fajardo's intercepted pass was intended for a receiver who was still running downfield and hadn't even turned his head back to see what was going on. Was he running away from the ball? The Crespi defender simply stepped into the ball's path and ran it back for Crespi's first touchdown...the clock showed less than one minute of the game had ticked off.

The Friar defense is very impressive. I haven't seen the stats but I would guess most of the Celt's yardage was gained from passing. They have some very fast running backs and the quarterback is dangerous if he can break loose from the box. Our boys are big and when #75 gets in the game the D-Line is nearly impenetrable in the center. I love watching Kirifi smother the opposing quarterback just as a pass is let go...he really makes the QB pay for it. His play action kind of reminds me of Godzilla manhandling an economy-model Honda.

Portis was a real man in this game. Once again, I don't know what the stats reveal, but I think this was his best game of the season, and probably of last season's, for pure rushing through the line of scrimmage. I have always had my doubts about sending Portis through the middle. Maybe the O-Line is getting better at its job, but Portis was able to make significant yardage through the center.

The O-Line is big. They were much bigger than Crespi's D-line players. Most of the pressure on Fajardo came around the tackles. This will be addressed .

Got to go...

I would love to hear from Ventura or any other Celt fan about their take on the game. Crespi has a beautiful campus set in a residential neighborhood. The new field is pristine and a real jewel to look at. I felt the Crespi fans showed a lot of class. The play on the field got a little rough at times, but both teams showed respect for the other. The Celt fans stayed in the stands till the very end.
I just wished the Carmelite priests had spread a little more Holy Water on the Servite side of the field during that pre-game Blessing of the new field.

Ex
Last edited by ExRep on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
RoadRunner

Re: Servite/Crespi..."As good as it gets"

Post by RoadRunner »

Ummmmmm....it is Saturday AM...
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"
lofty

Post by lofty »

confirm the "T" story...heard Mike kicked that ball without a "T" couldn't be found?...BUT great game just wished we had won!
observer

Post by observer »

lofty wrote:confirm the "T" story...heard Mike kicked that ball without a "T" couldn't be found?...BUT great game just wished we had won!
True - he kicked it off the grass. It was dead-on, but about a yard short - would have been a 56 yard kick.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it
edac25

Post by edac25 »

This was indeed a great HS football game and definately worth the trip into the Valley. Two very good teams played to what inreality was an even game. I think Servite is the better team but made far too many mistakes to win. Both teams will contend come playoff time.

Overall the team played well. I liked everything I saw from the offense...great show. Defensive front 7 killed Crespi's run game. My only area of concern is Servite's secondary. It's play needs to improve...big time! Long TD passes killed them (like MD last year) and that HAS TO STOP! Coaching staff needs to consider more safety help (2 deep), or play the corners deeper. Yes you'll take a man out of the box and yes you'll give up the underneath stuff (7 yd curls, etc.) but let's make a team earn 5-6 first downs if we're going to give up 7 points! Aside from 2 deep passes for scores, Crespi struggled to maintain drives. Just my opinion.

Again, awesome show by the young Friars! This is a team that's very fun to watch and will be extremely tough to beat. Go Friars!!
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

edac25 wrote:This was indeed a great HS football game and definately worth the trip into the Valley. Two very good teams played to what inreality was an even game. I think Servite is the better team but made far too many mistakes to win. Both teams will contend come playoff time.

Overall the team played well. I liked everything I saw from the offense...great show. Defensive front 7 killed Crespi's run game. My only area of concern is Servite's secondary. It's play needs to improve...big time! Long TD passes killed them (like MD last year) and that HAS TO STOP! Coaching staff needs to consider more safety help (2 deep), or play the corners deeper. Yes you'll take a man out of the box and yes you'll give up the underneath stuff (7 yd curls, etc.) but let's make a team earn 5-6 first downs if we're going to give up 7 points! Aside from 2 deep passes for scores, Crespi struggled to maintain drives. Just my opinion.

Again, awesome show by the young Friars! This is a team that's very fun to watch and will be extremely tough to beat. Go Friars!!
Edac,

Interesting, age old philosophical question on tactics. Do you play it safe, ("bend don't break"), forcing the other team to take many plays on the way to the end zone, figuring that they may eventually stop themselves with a penalty or two, or a turnover? Or do you attack aggressively (knowing that they may burn you once or twice), in order to FORCE mistakes and/or turnovers? I haven't seen Servite this year, but I'm wondering if the Servite coaches, (after seeing how Orange Lutheran and Crespi demolished Mater Dei last year), have decided to attack more aggressively this year. I don't know the answer, just wondering.

p.s. I just read a thread over on the CalHi message board where Ventura, and CSJallday (another Crespi fan?) appear to feel that the better team didn't win at Crespi last night. Interesting reading.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
edac25

Post by edac25 »

Lionhunter wrote:Edac,

Interesting, age old philosophical question on tactics. Do you play it safe, ("bend don't break"), forcing the other team to take many plays on the way to the end zone, figuring that they may eventually stop themselves with a penalty or two, or a turnover? Or do you attack aggressively (knowing that they may burn you once or twice), in order to FORCE mistakes and/or turnovers? I haven't seen Servite this year, but I'm wondering if the Servite coaches, (after seeing how Orange Lutheran and Crespi demolished Mater Dei last year), have decided to attack more aggressively this year. I don't know the answer, just wondering.

p.s. I just read a thread over on the CalHi message board where Ventura, and CSJallday (another Crespi fan?) appear to feel that the better team didn't win at Crespi last night. Interesting reading.
What's the link to that other site?
OCHSSportsNut

Post by OCHSSportsNut »

edac25 wrote:What's the link to that other site?
CalHiSports.com
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

edac25 wrote:What's the link to that other site?
http://calhisports.rivals.com/forum.asp ... =undefined
ExRep

"For want of a nail, the shoe was lost...."

Post by ExRep »

observer wrote: True - he kicked it off the grass. It was dead-on, but about a yard short - would have been a 56 yard kick.
Lofty, Lionhunter, et al

The missing tee reminds me of an old poem we were taught in grade school...

"For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost"

It goes on, but the point is that even the most insignificant thing, a nail,or a kicking tee for a star kicker, can change the course of events.

Who knows?

A hypothetical situation to test your mettle:

The coach of your opposing team cannot find the kicking tee in his equipment lockers. There is exactly one second left in the game and that coach's field goal kicker has a better than average chance of making a field goal as his team takes possession of the ball on the forty-five yard line.
That field goal will give the game to the opposing team. The opposing coach asks to borrow your tee.

What would you do???

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
Lionhunter

Re: "For want of a nail, the shoe was lost...."

Post by Lionhunter »

ExRep wrote:
Lofty, Lionhunter, et al

The missing tee reminds me of an old poem we were taught in grade school...

"For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost"

It goes on, but the point is that even the most insignificant thing, a nail,or a kicking tee for a star kicker, can change the course of events.

Who knows?

A hypothetical situation to test your mettle:

The coach of your opposing team cannot find the kicking tee in his equipment lockers. There is exactly one second left in the game and that coach's field goal kicker has a better than average chance of making a field goal as his team takes possession of the ball on the forty-five yard line.
That field goal will give the game to the opposing team. The opposing coach asks to borrow your tee.

What would you do???

Ex
Wow, I think I'd tell him he's out of luck. Being prepared is part of his job. That being said, those two coaches are supposedly friends, he might have said yes.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Ex or anybody

computers hate me and I hate them - tried to respond to Ex's request for my take on the Crespi/Servite game and it vanished - took me some time and this has happened before - is it retrievable? any idea of what the hell I did wrong?
WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine »

ventura wrote:Ex or anybody

computers hate me and I hate them - tried to respond to Ex's request for my take on the Crespi/Servite game and it vanished - took me some time and this has happened before - is it retrievable? any idea of what the hell I did wrong?
Ventura... I believe the software lets you know if somone replies to a post ahead of you when you hit submit. You need to hit submit again before you exit otherwise you lose you post.
Last edited by WileyWolverine on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS
Wolves

Post by Wolves »

Did Servite bring the bag pipes to the game?
I've got to know.
ExRep

Post by ExRep »

Wolves wrote:Did Servite bring the bag pipes to the game?
I've got to know.
OK Wolves...If you just got to know, Servite did bring a single bagpiper. As usual he led the team onto the field to the wild cheers of the Servite fans.

Crespi also had a bagpiper present but, surprisingly, he did NOT lead the Celts onto the field, and he most certainly was not audible on the Servite side. In fact, I never saw him in spite of my wifes' effort to point him out.

ExRep
Wolves

Post by Wolves »

ExRep wrote:
OK Wolves...If you just got to know, Servite did bring a single bagpiper. As usual he led the team onto the field to the wild cheers of the Servite fans.

Crespi also had a bagpiper present but, surprisingly, he did NOT lead the Celts onto the field, and he most certainly was not audible on the Servite side. In fact, I never saw him in spite of my wifes' effort to point him out.

ExRep

Awesome. It takes some Nads to bring the home teams tradition into their own ball park.

I wish they would leave the bag piping to the LaHabra Highlanders....They are the true Scottsmen.