Serra of Gardena

broman

Serra of Gardena

Post by broman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:30 am

A Mater Dei alum brought this up when he saw Serra on television. Based on the dress code of the players it did not look like a traditional "Catholic School". Do the Catholic Schools still emphasizes dress code or is Serra a little different from Mater Dei and Servite?

albundyrules

Re: Serra of Gardena

Post by albundyrules » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:07 am

Serra Gardena is a public school with a Catholic name. Place is an absolute dump and if it wasn't for surrounding Catholic schools that do good they would have to close their doors.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:18 am

Wow...harsh. Serra is a small school sports factory. They recruit on a Bosco level but have a much smaller enrollment and different demographics. Mater Dei will beat them this week. For years Serra just out-athleted teams in the lower divisions and now they are learning that to win with the big boys you have to have a more complete team. Serra will test the Monarchs with their athletes but Mater dei will wear them down so long as Mater dei plays its usual brand of tough defense and disciplined football.

Navin

Post by Navin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Let me see, Serra Gardena "public" school "dump"... A tuition based school run by the Department of Catholic Schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles... I have actually walked the campus and saw exactly zero trash/gum/graffiti (not even a pen mark on anything)/etc. on the campus due to staff, student, parent, and alumni support ... something you will rarely if ever see at even at the best of public schools.

Love the stupidity spouted from message boards sometimes...

BigBosco

Post by BigBosco » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:48 pm

[quote="albundyrules"] by albundyrules » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:07 am

Serra Gardena is a public school with a Catholic name. Place is an absolute dump and if it wasn't for surrounding Catholic schools that do good they would have to close their doors.[/quote]
Serra Gardena is not a public school. It's a coed private catholic school. Some of the highest tuition fees around are charged at this school. That is, unless your a high value athletic target.

Gardena Serra High School

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:52 pm

don't doubt if Serra knocks off Mater dei and their freshman QB. Serra can score points, they have the skill guys to
make the QB have to throw in small windows. Mater dei will run again and try to run the ball down Serra's throat, and play action off dat. Serra might just load the box and force the freshman to try and beat them. Who is gonna lock up on those Mater dei wideouts???

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:54 pm

BigBosco wrote:Some of the highest tuition fees around are charged at this school.
That's not true. Serra's tuition of $7,900 to $8,900 for non-foreign students is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, of any Catholic High School in Southern California.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:06 pm

How many kids between these two schools have played at USC OR UCLA???
ALOT of local SO. CAL TALENT!!

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Serra and Mater Dei were both built in 1950 with the same building plans. They looked identical with
the only difference coming in later years as they added buildings, etc. The gyms were built exactly
the same with seating on one side and a stage on the other. Of course with the rebuilding of
the facilities at Mater Dei they are quite different now but if you were to just look at the main building
at Mater Dei you will see the similarities. Originally Serra was an All Boys school but was changed to
CO Ed in order to keep the school open when enrollment dropped. They have pride in the school
and they try to keep up the facilities they have in much better condition than the public schools
in their area.

BigBosco

Post by BigBosco » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:13 pm

MDDad.
I stand corrected re: the tuition at Gardena Serra. I went with a figure I was told by another. Website validates your figures (guessing you got them there).

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 am

Well, Serra only has a 22:1 teacher/student class ratio, not too many public schools can
say that, 100% college acceptance of their graduates and the school has a dual HS/college
credit courses taught by EL Camino CC professors (not a professor's teaching assistant that usually teach many frosh/soph classes at four year colleges.Uni's); ALL classes transferable to UC/CSU campuses.

And, ya walk through the Serra campus if you get a chance, not a speck of graffiti on the
walls and NO trash/gum,etc anywhere on the campus as a previous poster stated. It's
cleaner than the Beverly Hills and Malibu high school campuses!

frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 am

reminds me of a trip I made to St Mary's Academy (one of the oldest schools in the LA Area - girls only) in Inglewood-neighborhood around it not great, but the school grounds were pristine. Older buildings perfectly maintained.

Johnny Utah

Post by Johnny Utah » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:34 pm

All I know about Serra is that when I was a freshman at Pius X in 1967, we went there to play and beat them 7-0. When we left on the bus, I don't know if it was students, fans or what, but we got attacked and somebody threw about a 4" rock that broke out the back window of the bus. One of those windows with the chicken wire in it. It was pretty scary for a 14 year old kid. I never wanted to go back to that school.
"Jesus told the story of the Prodigal Son to make a simple point: never mind what you've done, just come home."

Coach TO

Post by Coach TO » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:51 pm

I agree Navin...I'm at the school at least once a year! "Absolute dump???" Really? Far from it! And there is a dress code & hair style code as well there! When's the last time you been to Gardena Serra "albundyrules?"

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm

I agree for the most part but CoachTO you're way off with the hair code. Have you seen the really long hair and beards on those kids?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Serra and Mater Dei were both built in 1950 with the same building plans. They looked identical with the only difference coming in later years as they added buildings, etc.

According to their website MD's first varsity football game ever was against Serra...they lost 6-0 and never scheduled them again
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDGuy

Post by MDGuy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:47 pm

MD played them in '82 and '83 and won both games. I remember the games as I was on the field for both.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:39 pm

That's correct. Mater Dei is 2-1 lifetime versus Gardena Serra. And an interesting bit of trivia: I think Luca was the team doctor for both sides in that 1951 game.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Yeah, I saw that. The '51 meeting was a non-league game but the '82-'83 games looked like league games, hence I said "scheduled"...did Serra join the Angeus League for just a couple of years?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Hmmm, that would make Luca around 90! years old!