[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
Servite's Larry Toner finally retires... - Orange County Forums

Servite's Larry Toner finally retires...

cruiser

Servite's Larry Toner finally retires...

Postby cruiser » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:24 pm

The guy was an icon at the school. Love him or hate him, you gotta give him the props for hanging
in, after the FBHC job was taken from him to start the more important ( the administration said) formation program.

Friar4life

Re: Servite's Larry Toner finally retires...

Postby Friar4life » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:21 am

Larry really is an icon. 45 years ago when I was at Servite, he was one of the scarier faculty members on campus. Then in the mis 2000's, when my two boys went through Servite, he was much more mellow and generally well likes (loved) by most.

He is a deeply spiritual man and was instrumental in instilling values in Servite men. The formation program was/is very important to Larry and the administration and students.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:33 am

For all you Friars out there one last Toner poke for old times.

Luca

Postby Luca » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:16 am

He sounds like one of the dying breed. A teacher/coach who works at the same school for 40 years, going back to the time when nobody thought twice about a teacher being a hard ass - the enforcer - and intimidating or manhandling students when it was called for. And the offender would generally keep his mouth shut about hurt feelings because his parents would have been angry at him if they found out he had misbehaved.

For generations to come they are remembered reverently as either "Mr._____ or "Coach_____". Those are some of the teachers I remember and respected best................Luca

FriarJoe

Postby FriarJoe » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:50 pm

You are correct Luca. He is one of the remaining holdovers from an era gone by. Some of the tactics employed by coaches/teachers of that era are no longer tolerable in today's society. If you talk to a player or student like that these days they will get all butt hurt and threaten to transfer (after probably telling their mommy, who will then tell the school administration that the teacher is being too mean).

Luca

Postby Luca » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:40 pm

They had a few teacher/coaches like that at Loyola. There would be stories about them having been golden gloves boxers or lifting up students by the shirt with one hand or stopping a fight by effortlessly putting the strongest kid in the school in a headlock, etc. etc.

These legends were handed down from year to year and eventually became mythologized, but none of them ever actually occurred in living memory. Nobody had ever really seen the events, only heard about them. But the legend alone was enough to make you back off whenever the teacher/coach showed up........................

Although come to think of it I actually did see one episode as a junior. There was this All-American tailback at Loyola who subsequently played at UCLA and then came back to be a running back coach in his mid 20s. He was showing some of us how to throw a forearm as part of a block. He had this 160 pound or so kid hold a blocking pad in front of him and came up and gave the kid a forearm. I swear to God it lifted the kid came up in the air, flipped him upside down in an airborne somersault and amazingly he landed on his feet wondering what the hell had just happened. The rest of of us just stood there with our jaws in our jocks thinking "Did I just fornicating see that?"...........................Luca

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

...intimidating or manhandling students...lifting up students by the shirt with one hand...putting the strongest kid in the school in a headlock...

Luca
Let me be the first to thank you for not choosing the field of "education" as your vocation... #-o
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Luca

Postby Luca » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 pm

And yet, on that starting 11 we had four lawyers, two physicians, one newspaper publisher, and one manager for Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Incredible when you consider that we had no access to safe spaces, grief counsellors, sensitivity training, courses in self esteem, and no one to shield us from hate speech or nurture our inner wimps.............Luca

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Half the stuff happens these days is because the newer generation has no fear of repercussions. They are the generation that mommies and daddies coddled their little Johnnies, do whatever and they get bailed out. No respect for anybody or anything, bring back those Hungarian Brothers and bad ass football coaches, we need them.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:48 pm

I remember the wild and crazy Czechoslovakian brothers, but I don't think that's whom you mean. Who were the Hungarian Brothers? ..........Luca

templar83

Postby templar83 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:42 pm

The Hungarian brothers, there were several, taught at Mater Dei in the '60s. Some of them told stories of harrowing escapes from the old Soviet Union, all of them were no nonsense men and demanding instructors.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Most were Norbertine Fathers I believe. They were your kind of ecucators, Luca...back in the '70s there was a story making the rounds that one of them knocked a student unconscious in class by slamming his head against a wall ](*,)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:16 pm

..up until the early 60's or so, in most of the catholic elementary schools and some of the all boys high schools, if you misbehaved the nuns, brothers, priests had full permission from parent/guardians to give swats to the behinds of the offending student (boys and girls in the elementary schools, nuns would do the deed to girls)) with a wooden paddle. This was told to parents and student before they were even admitted to the school and if you did not like it then take your child to a public school. There was always long waiting lists in the 40's, 50's, 60's, to gain admission into a catholic school, fyi

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

I went to a public high schools (Anaheim) in the late 60's and butt swats were still very common then. Some teachers would even carve grooves into their paddles to raise bigger welts. Trust me, I know.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:01 am

Exactly my friend, the vast majority of people under 40-45 in this country have no clue!
(btw - on average, there were not a lot of discipline problems back then in schools, public or private)
Funny, the vast majority of kids back then grew up pretty decent even after having a few swats on
their behinds for being a dick, interesting no?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:36 am

During my high school years, the worst that could happen to a person was that someone would walk up to them, poke them in the chest, and utter the fateful words, "I choose you off." That meant you were invited to meet after school behind the Tastee Freez across the street for a fistfight. You either showed up and took your chances or you didn't.

And that's as bad as it ever got.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Make Them Cry Again In 2020

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Templar
You were right, since they are probably long gone Fr Rudnay was the toughest of all.
The mighty football players of the time were no match and talk about about instilling the
"fear of God", it was real. I am also sure it was a legend but there was talk he had to take out 2 German soldiers to escape.

bdh18

Postby bdh18 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Toner was my Freshman basketball coach at Jesuit High School in Portland Or in 1988 & dude was beyond a disciplinarian...bullying...name calling...intimidation...racial epithets...body shaming...the list goes on and on...I was a 3 sport athlete and had many harsh disciplinarian coaches that were never what I consider abusive...Toner was abusive...just a little ugly troll of a man that got his rocks off wielding power over young men and boys...interesting that very close to the same time Jesuit went Co-ed...Toner went back to All Boys Servite...coaches & teachers get away with much more in an all boys atmosphere...Think R.Lee Ermy from Full Metal Jacket only Toner is using similar tactics with 14-15 yr old boys(Frosh basketball)...& his coaching didn't translate to the court...his teams were always losers. Until he left and the program became more focused on getting the most out of their athletes in competition rather than beating them down....it's not a coincidence thatJesuit basketball became a winning program AFTER Toner left...When you're young it's easy to believe adults know what they are doing etc but the older I get the more it amazes me at what these bullies that hide in the high school and below coaching ranks get away with & just how or what their motives are to be such ******* to kids...often I have head fellow players talk about how later they understand why Toner(& other abusive coaches) used tactics he did...when actually it's more akin to the abused child that absolutely has blind devotion to their abusive parent

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Hmm, I knew he was harsh but did not know he was that abusive in his general nature -
maybe the old Servite guys can shed some light on the subject.

(I think Toner came back to Servite because the alumni wanted him back to be
the head FB coach? - I think the Servite powers at be even asked him if he would
come back?... I'm sure the Servite guys on the board have more insider info on it)

Return to “High School”