Servite's Larry Toner finally retires...

WantTheNFLBack714

Re: Servite's Larry Toner finally retires...

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

its an interesting to discussion to see the main feeder schools to Trinity League schools, parochial high schools, I do know that St. Bonaventure in Huntington Beach has also long been another main feeder school to MD as well, overall, Huntington Beach has long been one of the main feeding cities to MD, notable former MD athletes, Matt Grootegoed, Taylor King, Wear Twins(Travis and David) were Huntington Beach residents while attending MD.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

With the construction of the 73 Toll Road Newport Beach and Newport Coast became feeder areas for not only Mater Dei, but JSerra as well. Easier to get to SJC from Newport Coast than it is to Bristol and Edinger. My guess is 15-20% of school comes from this area, and a number of board members live there as well.
WantTheNFLBack714

well Newport Beach has definetley long been a feeder city for Mater Dei as well, Matt Barkley is probably MD's most famous Newport Beach resident. I've long felt that the most obvious and sarcastic fact about MD, is that even though MD is located in Santa Ana, the vast majority of MD students are NOT Santa Ana residents. Very few MD students are Santa Ana residents.
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

Very few Santa Ana residents can afford the tuition at MD. The same with Servite---how many of their
students are from Anaheim?? Although MD does have a program for students from the Catholic Elementary
Schools in Santa Ana--Our Lady, Immaculate Heart, St. Anne, and St. Joseph. Also the other Large Catholic
Elementary School in Huntington Beach St. Simon and Jude sends many students to MD. But no school from the
past could equal St. John the Baptist, Costa Mesa, where almost EVERY 8th grade student would take
the entrance exam at MD. With the increase in tuition I don't know what the stats are now but I do think
that over 1/2 students entering the freshmen year are from the Catholic Elementary Schools.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

I read somewhere that MD's student body was 40% Hispanic and 10% Asian. Can anyone confirm this?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Daddyooo, that sounds about right.

And when WantTheNFLBack714 says, "Very few MD students are Santa Ana residents", he is 100% wrong. Every year since the school opened, it has had more students from Santa Ana than from any other city. The same is true of the football team.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

As far as I know, at least 20% of MD's entire student body hail from Santa Ana, the school has a special financial aid program setup for Santa Ana resident kids that get into MD. In the coming years, a few
of the older academic buildings are going to be replaced with hi-tech two story academic buildings
as the enrollment will eventually be increased to 2500 students, as MD has waiting lists every year
but not enough room to comfortably fit more students,that is why the new parking structure is so
massive to account for future school expansion and increased enrollment, fyi

The parking structure opens in August of this year, I think the next expansion will be the
two-three story performing arts center which will also be available to Santa Ana elementary
schools for events/performances. additional land acquisition is always in the plans.

MD packs a lot of juice with city officials over the many, many years.( I'm thinking probably a few send their kids to MD)
WantTheNFLBack714

MD has waiting lists every year, I guess that goes to show that MD is a very popular school, that it gets tons of applications every year, probably the most out of all parochial schools in California or the West Coast i'm guessing.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

longtimeobserver wrote:The same with Servite---how many of their students are from Anaheim??
A lot of them. Same as Santa Ana for Mater Dei, more than any other city.
WantTheNFLBack714

interesting, for many years, I was under the impression that only a small percentage of MD students are Santa Ana residents.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

Expansion plans are afoot at JSerra also. Expect another building on the academic side that will enable them to add another 100 kids. From what I understand they also have an option on Kaiser next door if that ever becomes open.

JSerra now has long wait lists for 9th and 10th grade.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

I've always said that while Mater Dei has plenty of rich kids, it's not a "rich kids school".

Daughter loved it when she toured-if she could have got there easier she probably would have went there. 35 minutes from south OC made no sense when there were legitimate options a lot closer.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:interesting, for many years, I was under the impression that only a small percentage of MD students are Santa Ana residents.
Yes, that's the impression a lot of people get, but not the case at all - MD is the most diverse
private high school in the OC. FYI - MD's enrollment profile for the 2018-19 school year is:

Caucasian - 41% (surprising, no?)

Hispanic - 28% (surprising, no?)

Asian - 15% (surprising, no?)

African American - 3% (only because the pool is limited in the OC)

Other/mixed/undeclared, etc. - 13% (surprising, no?)

And, yes; MD does have a lot of well to do family kids that attend MD but it's not the real picture
that a good number of people think....

On a side note - only 50% of MD's enrollment come from catholic elementary schools while the
other 50% come from public schools or other private schools.

MD has students from EVERY city in OC, plus students that come from LA, Riverside and San
Bernardino counties.
Last edited by cruiser on Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

are there plans to buy the shopping center across the street and turn it into a football stadium?
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

I'm aware that they would like to buy the area where a church sits on now across the street,
and also they have been looking at buying a portion of the shopping center across the street for athletic field area, I believe - I think the Santa Ana bowl serves MD well for the FB
team, (10,000+ capacity) - the IMG game last year was sold out, they let fans sit on the dirt
hill under the scoreboard.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Cruiser, thanks for posting that breakdown. I hope it helps to dispel some myths. Also probably surprising to most people is where the school's football players come from. For the 2019 team:

16 - Santa Ana
11 - Newport Beach
8 - Irvine
7 - Costa Mesa
6 - Huntington Beach
5 - Anaheim
5 - Orange

All other cities have four or fewer.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Very cool, MDDad, thanks for the info... (very interesting)
WantTheNFLBack714

another thing, historically, traditionally, I was under the impression that out of all the private schools in the O.C., MD is the main one that gets plenty, a large number of students that commute long distances, for example, its not uncommon for some MD students to commute from Long Beach, L.A. County cities, and Riverside County, some even from San Bernadino.

Didn't MD Boys Basketball have a player that lived in Fontana? I think I also remember, the MD QB of the earlier 2000's, Jason Forcier, he lived in Carlsbad I think.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

What gave you that impression?
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

While 3 percent is fairly low, it seems to me that a large portion of that 3% plays football for the Monarchs.