Sunset League / Div 3 - 2016

Bick

Sunset League / Div 3 - 2016

Post by Bick » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Had some success with this in the past with another league a few years ago. Hopefully there's enough of an interest to get one going in the Sunset.

Half the teams with new coaches - Ray Fenton @ Los Al; Brett Brown @ Huntington Bch; and Jimmy Nolan @ Fountain Valley. Dave White in his swan song after 31 years for Edison and Jeff Brinkley heading into his 31st year for Newport. 3rd year HC Jeff Turley leads Marina.

Up against it this year is FV after the Murr Mesa coach bailed just before spring, and Jimmy Nolan got a late start

For the first time in a VERY long time, Los Al has the toughest pre-league schedule instead of Edison. Griffins open with LB Poly, Paraclete, Lakewood, La Habra and JSerra, while Edison goes with Baldwin (HI), Tesoro, Canyon, SJ Hills and Mater Dei.

Thought I'd go on record with the league prediction before the pads come on.

1. Edison - Returns key players on both sides. Weaker than years gone by though.
2. Los Al - New QB, but experience @ RB / WR. D should be stout. Wouldn't be a surprise to see them on top
3. Newport - CDM has taken some of the talent, but Brinkley will get the most from who shows
4. Hunt Bch - graduated 2 D1 players and top RB. Real wild card w/ new coach
5. Marina - return #1 RB...gets first league win since 2004...maybe 2?
6. Fountain Valley - Returns a couple solid RBs and defenders, but lack of time w/ new coach too much to overcome

cruiser

Re: Sunset League / Div 3 - 2016

Post by cruiser » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:22 am

Did Barnes set up the pre-league before he knew he was going to retire? Did he want the new HC
looking bad in his first season because of what happen the prior season? Makes one wonder.
Barnes ALWAYS set up a cupcake pre-season schedule. It was all about having the most
career wins for him in the end, no?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:50 am

cruiser wrote:It was all about having the most career wins for him in the end, no?
If it was, it's a hollow victory. Bob Johnson will pass him halfway through the 2016 season.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 am

Los Al is long overdue for a resurgence. I have a feeling they'll be a great program again real real soon.

Bick

Post by Bick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 am

cruiser wrote:Did Barnes set up the pre-league before he knew he was going to retire? Did he want the new HC
looking bad in his first season because of what happen the prior season? Makes one wonder.
Barnes ALWAYS set up a cupcake pre-season schedule. It was all about having the most
career wins for him in the end, no?
Can't speak for prior motivations, but no, only Lakewood and La Habra were carry-overs from prior home and away deals. Poly, Paraclete and JSerra were all from the new staff. Win or lose, I think the tougher pre-league will pay off with wins in the post-season. With only beating Foothill while in the SW division as the lone playoff win since 2004, Los Al's focus seems to have shifted away from success being defined as a good regular season record.

The tough pre-league schedule coupled with skipping the recent Edison passing tourney, signals a pretty clear change in philosophy over there.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:18 am

I can tell you this, Marina will play with high energy, and they will play with a hard hitting defense.
Look for these guys to play much better this year.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:33 am

downtothewire wrote:Los Al is long overdue for a resurgence. I have a feeling they'll be a great program again real real soon.

They should be better than in recent years, BUT being great is going to take a long time. They're competing with Bosco, MD, Servite, Poly and every sunset team for players. It's been a long time since they were great and it's hard to get people to believe the hype.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 am

hit the lights wrote:I can tell you this, Marina will play with high energy, and they will play with a hard hitting defense.
Look for these guys to play much better this year.
I think you're right about this. There seemed to be a lot more strut in their stride last year than before.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:49 am

Whatever happen to the Sunset league? They used to be one of the premier league(s) in the CIFSS,
many, many years ago and now - D3! What happen over the years?

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 am

BoscoBrave wrote:They should be better than in recent years, BUT being great is going to take a long time. They're competing with Bosco, MD, Servite, Poly and every sunset team for players. It's been a long time since they were great and it's hard to get people to believe the hype.
Agree it's been a real long time since LA was a force. Competing with the privates is a tall order, but what gives hope for that is the obvious willingness to compete with them and Poly out the gate. Also think the word will get out that they're working hard to get their kids out w/ schollies. 5 different kids already have offers - none of them are FBS caliber. Only 1 got out last year. Way harder to get the lower div kids out.

Los Al has a lot of good things going for it location-wise and academics. Some not so good news coming from LBUSD which seems to be hurting Poly. If you're in the NOC / Long Beach area, it's hard to find a much better public HS than LA.

Might happen sooner than you think.

NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Well said Bick I couldnt agree more. Academics at Los Al are top notch and I have even heard from some Trinity League kids who have transferred in our out of Los Al that the academic curriculum at Los Al rivals those of the Trinity League.

Its been over a decade since Los Al was on the top of the HS football world but I do believe they are the last Orange County public HS to win a D1 CIF championship. There is obviously a reason for that and It might be while before that happens again if ever at all. A school like Mission VIejo or perhaps Tesoro might be the only schools that have a realistic chance at that accomplishment now and if you listen to Bob Johnson and his rants he doesnt think they have much of a chance. Funny thing is I dont hear Coach Logan at Centennial-Corona complaining about competing with the private schools. If anything his recent success in the PAC-5 just validated his previous successful seasons he had dominating the IE.

I believe D3 is where Los Al and Edison belong for now and if and when Los Al gets back on track they can move up to D2. Not sure if they will ever get back to the D1 level but you never know. For the record Coach Fenton is the right guy for the job at Los Al and kids will be excited to become Griffins once again!

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Fenton and Puga have Los Al moving in the right direction. The talent isn't where it will be in a few years. Don't be surprised if they make the D3 finals in their first year.

RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Why would Logan complain when they get 12-15 transfers a year and half are D1 players?
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Exactly. And besides, the apartments around Corona Centennial's campus are 1/3 the rent charged by those near Mission Viejo.

NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I know Cen10 gets more then their fair share of transfers but Mission Viejo has been doing the same thing for years. At the end of the day Cen10 has been able to represent the IE in a big way by dominating the Pac-5 the last 2 years and beating the private schools who can legally recruit kids to their schools. Every school recruits in one way or another, it seems to be norm. I just respect Cen10 because they show that a public school can not only hang with the private schools but they can out recruit them and then beat them on the field. Of course it would be more impressive if they were able to do it with only home grown talent but as mentioned in my post earlier I dont know if that will ever be possible again at the D1 level in HS football in this day and age.

Is it August yet??

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:26 pm

NOSEGUARD75 wrote:...the private schools who can legally recruit kids to their schools.
1) That is absolutely untrue. Neither private nor public schools can legally recruit kids to their schools.
2) There is only one CIF Blue Book and one set of rules regarding illegal contact and undue influence. Those rules are identical for private and public schools.

NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 pm

OK MD Dad. I stand corrected. I was always under the assumption that the private schools could legally recruit kids because they did it in the open all the time. In fact I know of kids and their parents who have gone to meet with the coaches at all of the OC trinity league schools as 8th graders looking to see not only what program suited their kids best but to see which school was willing to give their kid(s) the best financial aid package to help off set the tuition required to attend each school. If that is not recruiting then I dont know what is.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:23 pm

That is recruiting, but it's not within the rules. And many of those same families visit the top public schools as well, looking for the best deals they can find. When public schools have discounted rents at local apartments, or create phony part-time on-campus jobs to "hire" the parents of stud players, they're playing the same game.

NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Understood MDDad. It happens everywhere and it seems that if you are not recruiting then you are not trying. I agree with you. It's so far out of control now I don't think it can be stopped.

With all that being said I can't wait for this football season to start. I think every divisions playoffs will be ultra competitive and awesome to watch.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:18 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Why would Logan complain when they get 12-15 transfers a year and half are D1 players?
Besides low rent, why are kids choosing Cen10 instead of say...the horse town school? Is it because you need to buy a 1/2 acre to live there? What happened 10 years ago?