Trinity weekly predictions pool

Playingtime

Trinity weekly predictions pool

Post by Playingtime » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 am

Ok, it's back... The Trinity Weekly Prediction Pool is once again - operational..

Last year we saw JoeFutbol and Haroof share the title during the Non-League competition.... MDDAD won the regular season title, with BigBear taking home the gold for the playoffs.....

I take great pride in reporting that this thread last year, had the second most posts of any subject during the football season..

Anyway... the rules.... post your predictions by noon on Friday.. just pick the winner... no points yet... Justify your picks...makes for great conversation....I will post results no later than the Monday morning after the games... I will post the invitation for that week's game on Tuesday's..

LUCA..... I hope you play this year... We need you!

The schedule this week; & my picks

SM v Mission Viejo - Tough call - Lots at stake for both schools in this one. First regular season game between the two schools, ever... Home field advantage only difference here... MV wins on a late score ..

MD v Bishop Amat - Last year kept picking Md to lose... Not this year... Picking MD every week until they lose... Which they might not... Until they play Bosco

OLU v La Mirada - OlU in a no brainer...

Servite v Fountain Valley - Servite .... no brainer x 10

JS v Sacramento HS - Sacramento is good team... tough call... JS in a close one... The Hartigan factor in play

Bosco v St. Xavier of Ohio - Picking Bosco every week until they lose... Which they might not... Until they play MD

Hope to hear from all of you...

FriarJoe

Re: Trinity weekly predictions pool

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:48 am

1. Mission Viejo: new coach with new players will take time to gell. Mission is not Division 1 monster like they were in lower division but Diablos will have enough to take this early one.

2. Mater Dei: Amat plays with lots of pride at home. That won't be enough. Game will be over by early 3rd quarter.

3. Olu: another trinity league beating in store for La Mirada. Might be competitive for a quarter but then it will get ugly.

4. Servite: Blowout city. Reserves will get a lot of playing time.

5. JSerra: going with my gut based on trinity league strength

6. Bosco: Very few teams outside of national powers will compete with Bosco. This year's Xavier team is not a national power. Bosco by 3-4 Tds

Bigbear

Post by Bigbear » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:25 pm

As the song says, it's the most wonderful time of the year. For this week, put me down for a Trinity sweep. :rockon:

templar83

Post by templar83 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:40 pm

1. Servite: A game that points to the fact Trinity league programs have a problem scheduling preseason games. Neither team will learn anything about themselves from the beat down the Friars will put on the Barons.

2. JSerra: The lions win this one going away. A long way to travel for a blowout win.

3. Bosco: The Braves win this one going away. A long way to travel for a blowout win.

4. OLU: The Lancers win this one going away, but don't have to travel a long way for their blowout win.

5. MV: SM will be forced to play tackle football ( unlike their scrimmage against CC ) and the result will see them on the wrong side of the scoreboard by about 17 points.

6. MD: The Monarchs win, but not by the margin the preseason hype would have us imagine.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Understood, playingtime. Sometimes I start off and then get too busy halfway through the season.

One). I've never been more clueless as to what to expect from Santa Margarita. They have several outstanding players coming back but I don't know what to expect from the kids coming up and I don't know what to expect from a coaching staff that is knowledgeable but completely new to this type of HSFB. And Santa Margarita was not impressive at the Edison tournament, for whatever that's worth. Mission Viejo is a predictable quantity with coaching continuity and is likely going to win.

Two). Bishop Amat is a good program and well coached but they appear to have lost quite a bit from last year. If Mater Dei even plays a decent game they should win.

Three). Orange Lutheran. When you look at last year's record they beat some awfully good teams and played the others very closely. They were underrated. I don't know if they'll be better this year but they'll be better than La Mirada.

Four). If Servite is half as good as their follower's April predictions they should take this one.

Five). JSerra is a pretty young team but they've had an awfully good freshman squad for the last two years. They looked very prepared in their scrimmage versus Poly and although Sacramento is a good Northern California team I would expect JSerra to take this one. It figures that they'd schedule a game in the one place in California that's hotter than it is here.

Six). I wouldn't be so quick on this one. Xavier is a very good Ohio program which in turn is very strong football state. The game is back there in weeks 0. I wouldn't be surprised to see Xavier take this one. It's close to a coin flip for me – I think it's going to be close – but I'll tentatively go with Bosco, the more known quantity.
MV: SM will be forced to play tackle football ( unlike their scrimmage against CC )
I wasn't there. Did Santa Margarita have a bad showing?...................Luca

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Gonna be a lot of people tied for first. Easy week.

SM had good lower level classes last year, and they got some very good transfers, but I think it will take the new coaching staff a while to whip up a contender. Mission Viejo by 14

Amat lost a lot to graduation, lost Sweet to Upland, and is so desperate that they forgave one of their best players for a discipline problem that previously caused him to be ruled ineligible until 3/3/17. MD by 28

Servite will play everyone, hopefully showing no more than they need to show. Servite by 28

May be closer than many people expect. Remember that O Lu is changing up it's offense, and may need more time to perfect it. Orange Lutheran by 14

Sacramento is even smaller than J Serra, and last year (10-2) only played two teams with a CalPreps rating over 20.0...they lost both. J Serra by 21

Bosco at St. X. It is the opener for both teams. Used to be, when you played an out of state team in your opener, they already had a game or two under their belts. When did that change? Bosco by 27
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Johnny Utah

Post by Johnny Utah » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 pm

1) Mission Viejo over Santa Margarita
The Eagles are kind of an unproven team so far, but I would not be surprised to see them win.
2) Mater Dei over Bishop Amat
I think the Monarchs are finally for real this year. Won't be as close as last year.
3) Servite over Fountain Valley
I think the Friars are just going to keep getting better every year until they are a dominant force again.
4) JSerra over Sacramento
I think the Lions are going to be a lot better than people expect this year. It's that Hartigan factor.
5) Orange Lutheran over La Mirada
The first of the Matadors losses to the Trinity league this year. I think OLU is gonna be good.
6) St John Bosco over St Xavier
If Re-al Mitchell is as big a surprise as Quentin Davis was last year, it should tell us a lot about the Braves this year.
There you have it.

number9

Post by number9 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:06 pm

I will take the trinity sweep.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:02 pm

mission viejo over sm: i think fisher eventually turns sm good but it will take a couple years. they dont have much along the oline other than neilon and that will hurt. they will also have trouble covering osborne of MV

mater dei over amat: amat lost a lot last year and md brings back some really good guys. they'll take this easily.

olu over la mirada: olu might start a little slow but once they get comfortable with the new offense they win easily.

servite over fountain valley: servites improving with their coach and should win easily.

jserra over sacramento hs: i dont know anything about sacramento hs but i dont think their fantastic. jserra should be solid and when in doubt ill go with hartigan

bosco over st x.: not sure much about st xaverian but bosco is loaded as usual

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 am

MV over SM
The rest Trinity wins, although SJB could be interesting.

kingspeed

Post by kingspeed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am

Well I will toss my hat in the ring

1. Servite: The Barons will be no match

2. JSerra: Wins and are going to be better than most have imagined. Credit due here as they now are leveling or have leveled to Trinity league for all the beleaguered years.

3. Bosco: Bosco but I could go either way

4. OLU: Lancers are on an upswing

5. MV: But I believe will be closer than some expect.

6. MD: Will MD live up to the billing of its D1 recruit status. I believe this game will only further stir that talk
"Get In The Mix"

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:22 am

I doubt St. Xavier gives Bosco a game. If MaxPreps is accurate they lost their RB and their top 8 tacklers from a 7-5 team.

My picks --

MV
MD
Olu
JSerra
Servite
Bosco

SM may pull that one out, though.

ARF

Post by ARF » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:01 pm

SM
MD
OLu
Servite
JSerra
Bosco

Arf

ARF

Post by ARF » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm

:bonk:

americanhero

Post by americanhero » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:05 pm

The water is warm. Great to be back!

Mission Viejo over SM. Nothing like lulling MV into a false sense of security with a win over a Trinity League team.

MD over Amat- A once classic battle that isn't anymore.

O-Lu over La Mirada- La Mirada has a death wish with their schedule. I might suggest we run a poll asking how many point they are going to give up in their first 3 games? It's going to be a very high number.

Bosco over St. Xavier- Bosco has done well out of state since becoming the powerhouse they are. I expect a tighter game than most are saying. With that said St. Xavier is apparently missing some key players due to injury

Servite over Fountain Valley- I miss the days when the Sunset League was more competitive.

JSerra over Sacramento- I know very little of Sacramento. Looking at past scores they seem to enjoy scoring quite a bit. So maybe some fireworks here. Or maybe not. Who knows.

Best of luck to everyone. I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys the season!

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:21 pm

JSerra vs. Sacramento. Sacramento is not a strong program. They are typically ranked between 20 and 25 in the Sac-Joaquin section, which would put them between 75 and 95 in the Southern. And if I’m not mistaken, it’s Sacramento who is making the long road trip, not JSerra.
JSerra by 24

Orange Lutheran vs. La Mirada. La Mirada has more talent than most people think, and they’re probably playing too low in Division III. Where they’re lacking is in coaching, discipline and toughness. Lutheran is in the process of installing an entirely new offense, and that may take more time.
Orange Lutheran by 7

Mater Dei vs. Bishop Amat. Mater Dei is probably a little better than last year. Bishop Amat definitely is not.
Mater Dei by 35

Santa Margarita vs. Mission Viejo. I need to be convinced Santa Margarita and their new coaching staff are as good as some people think, and that Mission Viejo has the holes some people think. Matt McDonald will start to prove how good he really is.
Mission Viejo by 42

Servite vs. Fountain Valley. Mater Dei scrimmaged Fountain Valley last Friday, and the Barons were as weak as any team the Monarchs have faced in quite some time. Servite can win by as much as they want.
Servite by 35

St. John Bosco vs. St. Xavier. Xavier starts the season as the #6 ranked team in Ohio. That would put them around #10 in California. Taking 75 kids across the country can be a little like herding butterflies, but Bosco will have too much for Xavier on both sides of the ball.
St. John Bosco by 17

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 pm

You make the lines for 5dimes?

MD is -35
Bosco -21

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm

I don't even know what 5dimes is.

Luca