Trinity weekly predictions pool

Luca

Re: Trinity weekly predictions pool

Post by Luca » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 am

All good points, Professor. You've got me convinced about the power of the underdog. In fact, I'm now confident that if Russia tries to invade the Baltics Lithuania is going to kick their ass.........Luca

templar83

Post by templar83 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:39 am

The Professor is correct, anything can happen. Consider, for instance, November 3rd, 2002. Servite was 7-0 going into the game that night against a Mater Dei team that was considered one of its weaker clubs in years. Servite players had been quoted in the paper that their goal was to go undefeated and when it was pointed out by the reporter they had not beaten Mater Dei in 13 years one of them responded as follows;

"We try not to look too far ahead, but it's hard not to think about Mater Dei," Kalil said. "But we think this is the team to end the streak. Our attitude isn't if we are going to beat them, but how bad we are going to beat them."

Another player doubled down with;

"People think we're just a preseason team," said Coffelt, the quarterback. "They think, 'Oh they're good now, but they'll choke.' Well, we're not going to let that happen. Our goals are a [Southern Section] championship, a league championship and beating Mater Dei."

The final score that night was 24-7 Mater Dei, and if memory serves, Servite was never the same...losing in the first round of the playoffs later that year.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:06 am

I have predicted a 35 pt. spread for this game, however the DLS game should give everyone pause, that the game could be much closer.

The ethereal intangibles, faith, hope, love of the Friar Faithful may have a quantum effect in the HS Football Universe come Friday Night.

Jmumph, stand tall and proud, you are a true fan...and that is cool in my book!

Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am

Jmumphery-It is going to take a whole lot more than two times in the first half to even keep it remotely close.
Don't feel bad. Bosco will do it against every team in Trinity except Mater Dei. You are just first in line and lucky enough by the end of the season it will be a distant memory and the last victim will be the one talked about. Mater Dei will do the same.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:20 am

Playthegame wrote:I have predicted a 35 pt. spread for this game, however the DLS game should give everyone pause, that the game could be much closer
It did.... until DLS lost to East the following week and beat Antioch by 7 the week after that. DLS just isn't that good this year.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:27 pm

by Luca » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 am

All good points, Professor. You've got me convinced about the power of the underdog. In fact, I'm now confident that if Russia tries to invade the Baltics Lithuania is going to kick their ass.........Luca
Kinda like Israel in the Yom Kippur War, right?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:31 pm

It appears Jmumprey and I have convinced someone else. Dan Albano has just predicted a Friar upset this Friday over Bosco!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/34776/428968 ... er-updates

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Did not want to sit through an hour podcast so if indeed he predicted a Servite upset of SJB it proves you are never too old to do hang out with Marinovich or need psychiatric care.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:54 pm

LOL! To make it easier for you, they cover the Bosco vs. Servite game from 4:00-16:30 on that podcast.

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turning flips in my office

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Jmump
Turning flips? So you are a cheerleader whose boyfriend is on the team. Good for you, what kind of office does a cheerleader have?

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:10 pm

:D :D :D LOL

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:10 pm

joefutbol wrote:It did.... until DLS lost to East the following week and beat Antioch by 7 the week after that. DLS just isn't that good this year.
Sorry to hear that Joe, but Jmumph maybe the secret weapon and her and Fate might have something going on...I think he is indeed in love with her.

It's cute...Good Luck to the Friars anything can happen, break legs...

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Orange Lutheran over JSerra, 28-26. JSerra's lack of depth has to start having an impact sooner or later. It might as well be this week.

Mater Dei over Santa Margarita, 47-14. Mater Dei's unproven running game has to start having an impact sooner or later. It won't be this week.

St. John Bosco over Servite, 47-6. As some have predicted, Servite will reach the endzone against Bosco, but it will be with two field goals and three kickoffs.

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Jserra by 7
MD by 35
Bosco by 39

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:28 pm

JSerra by 6
MD by 35
Bosco by 35

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Okay, here goes.

MD by 35 over Santa Margarita.
Orange Lutheran over J Serra by 6

Now can Servite pull off the upset Dan Albano and Jmumpery have predicted? I have already opined that they can, but will they?

Here are some things that would help:

1. Fewer penalties and no penalties at crucial times, and absolutely no penalties away from the play.
2. No turnovers by the Friars
3. Some turnovers by Bosco (some unforced, and some caused)
4. No bad referee's calls, (those favorable to us are ok :wink: ) no freak bounces, (again, except for those in our favor, of course) and above all no injuries, (for either side of course).

A lot of mystery involved in a game like this. Will OLB Kobey Fitzgerald be 100%. Will 6'4 255 OT Parker Thomas make an impact. How will Servite use Trent McDuffie? Using him as a punt and KO returner is a no brainer, but will he also see action at DB, WR, or even RB? You want to get the ball to him out in the open, and he will make things happen.

How about short yardage situations? Can the O Line open a hole in that great Bosco D Line for the ball carrier? Who gets the rock in that situation? William Dean? I'd like to see the Jumbo power formation with Muise on one side, Mumphrey or King on the other side, and Dean or Caleb Fitzgerald (265 bench, 385 squat) at FB.

How do you handle the defense? Do you do what you have done all year, or do you have a special scheme for Bosco. Do you assign one guy to "spy" Re-al Mitchell? Servite has a lot of speed at DB for sure (McDuffie, Taylor, Irvin, and Hernandez, were all sprinters on the track team). Not as fast as Mitchell, but fast enough to stop him if the right pursuit angles are taken.

Now for my prediction. I should preface my pick by saying that, as a kid I was one of those saying that I believed in fairies to help bring Tinkerbell back to life, and I believe in the accumulative power of prayer and positive thinking on The Force.

So enough with the negative waves, Moriarity! Servite gets at least 1 TD from special teams, and at least 1 defensive TD, to go along with at least 2 TDs by the offense in a 31-28 Servite win!

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm walking in "FAITH" and thinking "POSITIVE" with you.

Please all enjoy the games and be safe. Pray that the kids perform well and stay healthy.

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:34 pm

One last comment - we are half way there with a victory. No one has predicted a 70+ score blow out like the last 2 years. I know the real Servite will show up tomorrow and the remainder of the season.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:40 pm

So basically you're saying is if Servite plays a perfect game, gets all the lucky bounces, gets favorable calls from the referees, and Bosco makes a ton of mistakes then Servite will win. Sounds like we got it in the bag.