First Annual South Coast League Weekly Prediction Thread

Luca

First Annual South Coast League Weekly Prediction Thread

Post by Luca » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:27 pm

No one seems to have picked up on my fairly obvious hints. As they say, if ya want somethin' done, do it yourself.

Submitted for the board's consideration: a South Coast League weekly prediction thread. I get pretty bored hearing about the Trinity league exclusively myself and this should be a good opportunity to follow and learn about some of the other quality football played in Orange County. It's getting started a little late since the first games start tomorrow but you guys are complaining there's not enough talk about the other teams so here's your opportunity.

My knowledge about the South Coast teams is relatively limited so the rationale behind some of my choices may seem a bit unorthodox to some of you.

Mission Viejo versus Santa Margarita. I already gave my reasons for this. There's a lot to be said for tradition in a program and Mission Viejo has a tradition of winning. And they expect to win. Santa Margarita has been up and down over the last 15 years with a few outstanding teams and a few mediocre ones. Mission has the continuity of coaching, an experienced staff and has run the same offense/defense for years. Santa Margarita is putting in its third new offense in four years. There's probably not a lot of difference talent wise but all the other factors favor Mission Viejo.

San Juan Hills versus Dos Pueblos. San Juan Hills has had pretty good success over the last three years and is coming off a fairly strong season. They started off 7-0 and then tanked over the last four games to wind up 8-3. Dos Pueblos hasn't had a winning season since 2012 even given a fairly weak schedule. Shouldn't be that close.

Trabuco Hills versus Pacifica. Trabuco is traditionally a fairly good program playing a quality schedule but they did poorly last year. They are now working on their fourth head coach in four years which doesn't do much for continuity. But Pacifica hasn't had a winning season since 2010, against weaker quality opponents. Possibly not too exciting a game but Trabuco takes this one

San Clemente versus Oceanside. San Clemente is the best program in the South Coast League not called Mission Viejo. It's a big school with a lot of talent and they have traditionally been a very tough opponent. But Oceanside plays in the Avocado League and is one of the top programs in San Diego County. Generally big and physical but they fell off last year with the new coach to 9 – 5. I think Oceanside might be starting to slide and the game is at home for San Clemente. San Clemente in a fairly close one

Tesoro versus Edison. Tesoro, along with San Clemente and Mission Viejo are the best public school programs in South County. Very competitive the last three or four years. But Edison is always competitive and this is Dave White's last year and the game is in Huntington Beach. I'm not a big fan of Coach White but I like Tesoro less because they wussed out on a great preseason traditional game versus Santa Margarita, so I'll go with Edison here. They've got better uniforms, too.

Any picks before game times will be accepted. And none of this joefutbol Saturday morning bull **** where you claim you changed your pick just before game time but can't find the post .......................................Luca

NJtoNYCtoSOC

Re: First Annual South Coast League Weekly Prediction Thread

Post by NJtoNYCtoSOC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm

1. MV over SM
2. SJH over DP
3. TH over Pacifica
4. Oceanside over SC
5. Tesoro over Edison

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Some really great research there Luca! I'm going with the SCL sweep of games and have a lot less data to support my picks.

thebull

Post by thebull » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:08 pm

1. MV over SM
2. SJH over DP
3. TH over Pacifica
4. SC over Oceanside (SC's QB is pretty good, on the bubble with this pick)
5. Edison over Tesoro (I hear Tesoro's defense isn't as stout as they used to be)

SirCharles

Post by SirCharles » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Refreshing thread.
My choices are;
Trabuco over Pacifica
Edison over Tesoro
SC over Oceanside
San Juan over DP
SM over MV

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Some interesting games here.

MV will beat SM in a fairly competitive game, with Mission Viejo putting it away early in the 4th Q.

SJ Hills will easily beat Dos Pueblos.

How did Trabuco Hills get to the point where they are only even money against Pacifica? I'll take Pacifica in this one.

Edison and Tesoro is another close game with Edison coming out on top by 1 TD.

Oceanside and San Clemente are two very good teams. I'll go with San Clemente at home.
Last edited by Professor Fate on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Playingtime

Post by Playingtime » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Always happy to support brother LUCA;

SM over Mission. Splitting my pics on this game. Gonna win one for sure! Just saw that MV is going to have 50+ game uniform looks this year...sponsored by Under Armour... How bad does BOB want to win this one?? Cant wait to see him roam the sidelines like Gary McKnight.... Complaining to the refs and letting the others coach.. I respect what BOB has done...that fact he is still active coaching at his age is actually amazing.. The Rob and Bob show now... a very successful family..

SJH ... Remember when Dos Pueblos was good in Football? Me neither

TH...Although I would like to see Pacifica win the game...

Tesoro... going local & Edison out of sync coming home from Hawaii.. Don't be fooled by their win in the Islands. Hawaii teams for years have been vastly inferior to Cal. teams.

Oceanside.... Lots of tradition in the Oceanside program. They will travel well... They win by 14+

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Trabuco over Pacifica (Trabuco due to start winning games they are supposed to any year now)
Edison over Tesoro (White's swan song season)
SC over Oceanside (Pick-em, so I'll stick with the local boys, although O'side is usually tough and ready)
San Juan over DP (who knows and who cares?)
MV over SM (Mv in a laugher, only because I'm a Mission homer and love to see the Johnson bashers humbled)

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm

BTW Luca-thanks for doing this. A refreshing change from the Trinity rhetoric so prevalent on this board! \:D/
Luca,I do get a guilty pleasure out of your posts, it is like watching a fat woman in the gym. Got to applaud the effort but have to remind myself to hide the laughs.

Johnny Utah

Post by Johnny Utah » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't know the first thing about the South Coast League, but it sounds like Luca does so here goes :

1. Mission Viejo over Santa Margarita
2. San Juan Hills over Dos Pueblos
3. Trabuco Hills over Pacifica
4. San Clemente over Oceanside
5. Edison over Tesoro

NOSEGUARD75

Post by NOSEGUARD75 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Im taking....

Mission Viejo by 10

San Juan Hills by 21

Pacifica by 6

San Clemente by 14

Tesoro by 10

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Santa Margarita over Mission
DP over SJH because I drove all the way there to steal a street sign a long time ago.
Pacifica over TH
SC over oceanside
Edison over Tesoro Whites magical last year

Johnny Utah

Post by Johnny Utah » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Great comments PT :rockon:
"Jesus told the story of the Prodigal Son to make a simple point: never mind what you've done, just come home."

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:43 pm

MV
SJH
Pacifica
SC
Tesoro

Redbulls

Post by Redbulls » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:41 am

1. MV over SM - MV wins by at least 3 TD's
2. SJH over DP - SJH has an axe to grind being under rated
3. TH over Pacifica - TH is down a couple players but still wins
4. SC over Oceanside - SC wins as Oceanside is not as stout as in previous years
5. Edison over Tesoro - Edison wins in a lopsided victory

Bringntheheat

Post by Bringntheheat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:36 am

1. MV over SM
2. SJH over DP
3. TH over Pacifica
4. Oceanside over SC
5. Tesoro over Edison
:cheers:

templar83

Post by templar83 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 am

MV, game not close

DP over SJH, DP on the upswing

Pacifica, just because

SC, they ain't going to be bad

Edison, White always has his kids ready to go and they've already played once, big improvement in that second week.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:20 pm

MV over SM
SJH
PACIFICA
SAN CLEMENTE
EDISON
glad to see some teams playing a great first game, putting all that hard off season work to use.
MV VS SM
SC VS OCEANSIDE
TESORO VS EDISON
Honestly , all these games could go either way.
What a great first week. Also, Los Al vs Poly, a recruiting battle.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Playingtime,
I would say Bobby boy wants this one bad, and his son Rob will get it for him.
Bob applied for the SM job and didnt get it. It wont be close. MV BY 21.
Revenge, one last thing to take care of before a final ride off into the sunset. Since coach Johnson hasnt coached in the last 10 years, its all about the program and delegating. He is the figure head or the lead DEVIL!
It will get real doe, when they get to the playoffs, :fan:

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Mission Viejo over Santa Margarita
San Clemente over Oceanside
San Juan Hills over Dos Pueblos
Tesoro over Edison
Pacifica over Trabuco Hills