Servite vs. Garfield

Professor Fate

Servite vs. Garfield

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Servite beat Garfield 55-0. I wouldn't normally start a thread over a game like this, but I thought a few things were interesting about it.

First of all, I don't know if this was a one game series or not, but I hope so. Not only did the Friars win easily, but so did the other two levels.

Varsity, 55-0
JV 52-0
Freshman 32-0
(By the way the Freshmen reserve team beat Yorba Linda 38-0 also). Yes the Friars had a very good week to the tune of 177-0.

Also, I love the fact that the varsity reserves played the entire 2nd half. I read 4-5 names I hadn't heard of before.

Things look good for the Friars in the future. Eight TDs were scored by the Friar Varsity. Three by seniors, two by juniors, and three by sophomores.

Good to have Julius Irvin back. He scored a TD on a punt return last night. He and Dominic Wingfield give Servite a couple of exciting punt return men. When Trent McDuffie becomes eligible for Bosco look out.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Re: Servite vs. Garfield

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:23 pm

I don't know about punts but against Bosco they should have plenty of opportunities to return kickoffs :wink:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:46 pm

This game was a joke. I knew Garfield was a moderate LA City section team but they were just awful. They made servite's first opponent, Fountain Valley, look good. The only good thing to come out of this game was no injuries and the back-ups got a lot of experience. I never want to witness a game like this again. How do the Mater Dei fans do it every week?

Skmns

Post by Skmns » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:14 pm

This game was indeed a joke. Totally agree with FriarJoe. What was worse was 17 penalties on the Friars ](*,) ...12 alone in the 1st half!!! You do that in the Trinity League and you will be real lucky to win a game...very undisciplined...reminiscent of Long Beach Poly teams of a few years ago..

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:20 pm

How do the Mater Dei fans do it every week?

Con mucho gusto! :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Excuse me for barging in, but Garfield? Why? Did they have to schedule a City Section team and they were closest or something? Odd team to schedule.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 am

Skmns wrote:This game was indeed a joke. Totally agree with FriarJoe. What was worse was 17 penalties on the Friars ](*,) ...12 alone in the 1st half!!! You do that in the Trinity League and you will be real lucky to win a game...very undisciplined...reminiscent of Long Beach Poly teams of a few years ago..
I believe the Servite fans call it "smash mouth" football. LOL.

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:42 am

You have to respect Garfield FB for taking the game. Maybe a chance for them to improve their program. But more importantly respect Servite coaching staff for not putting up a 100 points - showing professionalism.

Friar4life

Post by Friar4life » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 am

I could not agree with Skmns more. This is the most undiciplined Friar team I have ever watched. Coach Meyer and the other coaches do not seem up to the task of restoring dicipline. Kids committing stupid dead ball personal fouls should be sitting for a week or running 10K to 20K yards.

You can commit fouls against lesser teams, but when we get into Trinity League play, we will lose all of the close ones if the penalties do not stop. Losing the close ones could mean going 0 - 5.

Wake up coaches and players.

On the positive side, it was great to get Irvin back and the team played well when not being penalized.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:09 am

John Q. Public wrote:Excuse me for barging in, but Garfield? Why? Did they have to schedule a City Section team and they were closest or something? Odd team to schedule.
I've tried to explain this a half dozen times before, but I'll try again. YOU CAN'T SCHEDULE WHATEVER TEAM YOU WANT. I realize this may be hard to accept if one has never been part of the process, but it takes more than an open date on the same weekend to schedule any given opponent. Sometimes a school is faced with the very real likelihood of a 9-game regular season, and they are forced to schedule whomever they can get. That's how Mater Dei wound up playing Mayfair, and it may indeed be why Servite scheduled Garfield.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:32 am

Professor
55-0 looks like Servite is back in the elite teams race, almost dismantling DLS and now this. I only hope MD won't look past the Black Machine and be a trap game. Credo.

Bigbear

Post by Bigbear » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:40 am

Skmns wrote:What was worse was 17 penalties on the Friars ](*,) ...12 alone in the 1st half!!! You do that in the Trinity League and you will be real lucky to win a game...very undisciplined...reminiscent of Long Beach Poly teams of a few years ago..
This reminded me of what was going on with the 2010 Servite team. They were also getting hammered by penalties as well, most of them being personal foul calls. It led to Thomas doing something I have never seen before. It was against Chaparral when after two blatant personal foul penalties on the defense that he called had the entire team take a knee and burned all 3 timeouts doing so. Of course, I found it hilarious that he tried calling a timeout after that and got flagged for delay of game.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I agree that something must be done about the penalties. I counted 14 penalties against the Friars in the Villa Park game. Two were declined, leaving 12 others. I threw away the paper I wrote them on, but as I recall, about 5 were holding penalties, 2 were illegal procedure penalties, and I think 1 was pass interference, leaving 4 personal fouls, which included two blocks in the back.

And that was two games in a row where personal fouls away from the ball, cost us dearly. And now the Garfield game makes three games in a row, with excessive penalties. Stay aggressive, but be smart about it if you are far away from the play. Keep your cool, and forego getting even, for the sake of the team. Holding penalties I can't speak to, it's so subjective in the eyes of the refs. Hopefully the refs will call those both ways.

Anybody hear when Kobey Fitzgerald will be 100% and ready to play? How about Lincoln Duran? I'm glad we have two weeks to get everybody ready for league play. And we get a speedster and a 6'4" 255 lb offensive tackle eligible for league.

Go Friars! Credo!

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:41 pm

watchersince68 wrote:Professor
55-0 looks like Servite is back in the elite teams race, almost dismantling DLS and now this. I only hope MD won't look past the Black Machine and be a trap game. Credo.
Barely beat Villa Park let's not get crazy here.

TrippMcNeilly

Post by TrippMcNeilly » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Didn't Servite lose to a Bishop Amat team that got beat by Mater Dei 63-14?

Every year these same posters have the most ridiculous reasons why Servite will upset MD and Bosco....lol. What Morons. Mater Dei and Bosco are going to crush Servite. It's hilarious
I am the devil, and I am here to do the devils work

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:38 pm

I respect every ones position and comments on the board - but as adults - why the name calling? Can we all have some fun and voice our opinions and discuss football without name calling. But I love you anyway and will pray for you!!!!

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:25 pm

TrippMcNeilly wrote:by TrippMcNeilly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 pm

...Back to the subject, my prediction was way off. Good game servite, you played DLS better than I anticipated, and you made me look like a fool. Hats off
Wow!I have a feeling Tripp might not be all that bad after all!
by TrippMcNeilly » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Every year these same posters have the most ridiculous reasons why Servite will upset MD and Bosco....lol. What Morons. Mater Dei and Bosco are going to crush Servite. It's hilarious
And...now it's gone.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:28 pm

TrippMcNeilly wrote: Every year these same posters have the most ridiculous reasons why Servite will upset MD and Bosco....lol. What Morons. Mater Dei and Bosco are going to crush Servite. It's hilarious
You mean like every year as in the last 4? Or are you including Servite's eight wins in a row over Bosco?

Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Mater Dei and Bosco are on another level. There is no team close to their talent.

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:46 pm

I guess we will all find out over the next 5 or 6 weeks how good each TL team are against each other. Let's play some football.