Servite vs. Garfield

number9

Re: Servite vs. Garfield

Post by number9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:26 pm

I was at the servite VP game and while yes VP scored 2 touchdowns late that game was still.close in the 4th quarter. VP ate up most of 3rd quarter with a long drive against the servite starters and scored a td to make it a 14 point game. They then held servite to a field goal attempt on the next series that hit the upright. VP had the ball down 14 with about 9 minutes left in game. Sipe throws a pick on first down and servite offense then scored to go back up 21 and the starters came out with about 6 minutes left in 4th quarter. Game was closer then the servite faithful want you to know. Down 14 with the ball in the 4th quarter is not over after the first quarter.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Sorry, but I don't think anybody was worried about the outcome on Servite's side, after the 2nd quarter. By your own account, the lead in the 2nd half was 18, then 21, then 14, then 21, then the starters came out, and the lead went to 15, then 9, (on the last play of the game). In other words, there never was a time in the 2nd half, when the lead was less than a two possession lead.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 pm

I didn't say anyone was worried. Just pointing out VP had the ball down 14 in the 4th.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 pm

VP is a scrappy little team. The Friars didn't play very well and the game was never in doubt. VP kept starters in to the very end for God knows what reason and that's why it appeared closer than it really was. I guess VP wants to get its star QB hurt scoring a meaningless TD in a non league game.

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 pm

I am not trying to put Servite down and I am not a VP supporter either. The game was just closer then it has been reported. It wasn't 9 points close like the VP side would like you to believe but it sure as hell wasn't as one sided as Servite would like it to have been. VP had the ball down by 14 in the fourth starters versus starters. If I was a fan of Servite that would scare the hell out of me going into league. Servite was definitely the better team but what I saw of Servite doesn't bode well for league play.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

I thought the Friars did very well, except for the penalties.

Servite had 63% passing (21/33 for 321 yds.), and 172 yds rushing (6.9 yds./carry).

Defensively, VP was held to 45% passing (17/38 for 269 yds.), and 80 yds. rushing (3.0 yds/carry).

Turnovers: VP lost 2 fumbles and had 2 passes intercepted, while the Friars 2nd string QB had 1 intercepted.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 am

Come on, guys. Whenever fans of any program defend a win over a mediocre opponent by arguing that the game “wasn’t as close as the score indicated”, I get the sense they’re trying to reassure themselves against self-doubt and nonexistent criticism. Servite beat a so-so opponent, as they should have. Period.

And every game is exactly as close as the final score indicates.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am

The rare MDDad take that is misguided. No one is trying to reassure themselves of anything. Non-league is non-league and league is league. The fact is that a final score can be manipulated depending on how the coaches coach it. Servite had 2nd and 3rd stringers in the game the instant the outcome was not in doubt. VP had all of its studs in the game until the final play, including calling an onside kick with seconds remaining and then scoring another meaningless TD against the 3rd string guys. I suppose the coaches were trying to accomplish different things. VP trying to build confidence and Servite trying to get lots of guys playing time. To each his own I suppose but if that VP QB, who is really good, goes down late trying to score late against the 3rd string, then that coach will have to answer for that decision. I prefer to get guys in the games, especially in HS football.