OC QBs fail to make the grade at the next level

inflagrantedelicto

OC QBs fail to make the grade at the next level

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Article from OC WEEKLY.
It's a spot-on assessment, IMO.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spammy link removed

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: OC QBs fail to make the grade at the next level

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Not much for those who don't click links to talk about, is there?

Here's a link to the Rule on that.

http://www.occonnect.com/community/app. ... not_a_post

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:38 pm

What a waste of space...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:06 pm

It's been a rule since some of those QBs were promising looking sophomores. I'm really not trying to be a jerk about it. Other sites asked me not to allow posts like that and I don't.

It could have been an interesting topic if you'd only typed a couple lines.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Got it, could not figure out what the heck the post was about...

"I met a German girl in England
Who was goin' to school in France
Said we danced the Mississippi at an Alpha Cappa dance
It wasn't me
Woo, it wasn't me
Yeah, you must've met some other body,
No, no child it wasn't me"

George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:42 pm

The author of the article makes a case that most/all of the hyped OC QBs of the recent past, have fallen short at the collegiate level. The few that have advanced to professional ball have basically succumbed to the pressure and/or physicality of the sport. He refers to Sports Illustrated articles that declared OC "quarterback heaven" in the mid-80s, mentioning Beuerlein, Rob and Brett Johnson, Sanchez, Marinovich, Palmer, Leinart and Barkley.
According to the author, that era is over - dead, as most of those never amounted to anything after leaving the "friendly confines" of Orange County. He mentions the words "flamed out" and "Sanchez caused a fumble with his butt". The subject was brought up on ESPN radio by former NFL player Antonio Pierce, in regards to Palmer, Sanchez, Barkley and Leinart having been "silver spooned" and "through a robotic system of how to play quarterback...Mom and Dad get the best trainers." He ridiculed such athletes, for "wilting under real competition."
The article mentioned that there is hope, with Darnold, Modster and Costello riding the bench, waiting for their shots. Travis (Waller) Jonsen is one who "Oregon media thought (would) be a contender for the Ducks opening-day position - but now (is) a fourth-stringer, reduced to running the scout team for a weaker-than-usual squad.", and calls him "another Orange County juggernaut, tamed by the real world." He concluded that "The Orange County quarterback hero will never fade from our landscape", and that saying we're (OC) is quarterback central despite their eventual flops" is delusional.

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/is-the-era ... er-7565636
Percussus Resurgo

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks for re-posting and sorry I stepped on the thread, IFD. It was an interesting piece.

I added the link to your post.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Would it not be fair to say that the vast majority of athletes in general fail to advance to the next level?

Likewise, considering that there is still a very healthy lineage of NFL players stemming from the OC, many of whom went to the same schools that these failed Quarterbacks went to, perhaps the problem has more so to do with the "apex" nature of the QB position?
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:42 pm

I agree. Because of the tremendous odds against any high school quarterback making it big in the NFL, to single out Orange County is pointless. I'd bet you could take any county in the country and the number of that county's big-time high school quarterbacks who went on to become NFL stars would be just as miniscule.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:48 pm

kind of a dumb article IMO. he uses black barnett who is from corona which is in riverside not orange county. other than that, waller seems to have not done anything, but darnold is doing well. pierce criticized barkely, palmer, sanchez, and leinart all who got drafted. they havent turned out to be tom brady but its not like they are all failing

sgthartman

Post by sgthartman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:30 am

I think it goes more to the point of OC being looked at like a "cradle of QBs", and the author's belief that they have failed because they did not succeed at the pro level. He misses the point IMO since these kids got a free education because of their talents, which is what most of us would like to see happen to their kids. He could have looked at the number of QBs out of OC vs other regions of the country to validate his point.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:05 am

If the 'next level' is strictly college then I would not necessarily agree with the premise of the article. There were 2 OC quarterbacks that won a Heisman recently. How much more successful at the 'next level' can you get than that?? I would also argue that guys like Sanchez and Barkely had pretty good college careers. I completely agree they have disappointed as pros. Thinking of other MD quarterbacks.... Billy Blanton did not fail at SDSU. Nor did Colt Brennan at Hawaii. They lit up the stat board. Hardly failures in college. Heck even Danny O'neil led Oregon to their first Rose Bowl in who knows how many years.
Yes with the exception of Palmer they have all bombed at the professional level. But they were not failures in college IMO.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 am

How is making millions of dollars a year Bombing! So you are one of the top 50 anything's and you're a failure?

Good grief...

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 am

Fair point. Yes admittedly I would be very happy to make the money they make and be considered a 'failure' at the pro level. So in that regard Barkley and Sanchez are extremely successful. What most people consider as a 'failure' in athletic terms is based only on performance/winning/stats, not on the pay check.

Think Ryan Leaf, Demarcus Russell, etc...... millionaires who were epic failures in the NFL.

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:33 pm

These guys are/were competitors, and most would gladly trade the $$ for other tangible signs of success - MVP, SB Ring, etc. Their first childhood sports dreams were throwing/catching/scoring the last-second, winning TD of the Rose Bowl, Super Bowl, etc., not likely fantasizing about "Can't wait to cash my first million dollar paycheck". They will be judged in the "all-time" annals based on their bodies of work, not on their investment portfolios. OC-bred QBs as a whole are relative failures by that measuring stick. I wonder how many mentioned in the column used their skills to earn a college Degree? To enter college on a football scholarship and then fail to garner a diploma might also be considered a wasted effort.
Percussus Resurgo

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:44 pm

OC-bred QBs as a whole are relative failures by that measuring stick.
Yes, as are the QBs of any other county.
I wonder how many mentioned in the column used their skills to earn a college Degree?
I don't know. But I know for a fact that three of them, John Huarte, Matt Leinart and Matt Barkley certainly did.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 am

Not sure what Antonio Pierce has done for his QB'S and having all that knowledge at his fingertips.
You cant get mad or hate on a kid's family for providing extra coaching to be better.Not sure what silver spoon means, not a section 8 player? People actually work hard to provide for their kids meanwhile go without themselves.
This looks like an attack on OC football! I can tell you, JT Daniels as only a sophomore, could be one of the greatest. Yes he does have a wonderful supporting cast, but usually you do in college too. Sam Darnold another OC kid doing big things, with his legs and arm. Palmer, Sanchez, Lienhart, Rob Johnson, Marinovich, etc... Pretty damn good, and got paid!!!! :cheers: Silver spoon and robotic?? What has Pierce done at Poly? I know this year, they couldnt get by that robotic coach Johnson and staff, form the OC.
Might want to take that NFL knowledge and connections and put it to use, to benifit your kids who arent silver spooned.
All for free i'm sure.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:00 am

Straight...

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 am

Well why all you guys are still sleeping on Chase Garbers @ CDM the kid threw for 6 TD's in one half last night. Surely JT Daniels is going to get the spotlight in the OC this year with the "Pro" type team they have built over there but collegient football intstitutions watch the off season tourneys and combines to pick their future QB's from. Garbers garnered the coveted QB spot for CAL class of 2017 from his off season performances. If you get the chance go watch this kid.

For the record, I think Sam Darnold is the real deal. A true freshman changed the way his offense played from the moment he got the call at Utah. Even in that horrible loss for USC that day what Darnold did was spectacular.

Here is to looking forward to Darold, Garbers and Daniels doing the OC QB tag proud!

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/garbe ... asses.html
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:29 am

If these kids go to school and fail in the NFL I have a hard time labeling them failures. Especially some of these guys were in the league for multiple years. Did they fail to meet expectations? Likely did. Leinart right now gives back to game and community is a good man to all that know him. These guys are not failures by any stretch.
Last edited by Yeahboiyee on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.