OC QBs fail to make the grade at the next level

Luca

Re: OC QBs fail to make the grade at the next level

Post by Luca » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 am

So former NFL quarterback Rob Johnson was "soft", huh?

My recollection of Rob Johnson was that he stayed in the pocket longer than anybody else and got sacked countless times because of it. That was the most common critique of him. It doesn't sound all that soft to me. "Soft" would be someone who panics at the first sign of pressure and takes off for the sidelines. The criticism is especially strange since Long Beach Poly, for all the players it has sent on to college and the NFL, has rarely produced a decent quarterback, soft or otherwise................Luca

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am

Poly is a good team with a great Quarterback. Corral is one of the best I've seen. Better than Wittek and Leinert, on par with Barkley as a high schooler. Of course. that is merely my opinion.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm

My recollection of Rob Johnson was that he stayed in the pocket longer than anybody else and got sacked countless times because of it...doesn't sound all that soft to me

Soft in the head, maybe...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm

BTW, nice hit piece there, HTL. Lots of opinion, interpretation and insinuatation on your part, but nary an actual "quote" or a link...

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Bongo,
I said see thread, Inflagracito has a oc weekly article from Oct. 5TH 2016, Page 1.
There you will see what i mention, Facts my man, not my opinion. Actually , Pierc's own words.
Check it out!

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Okay...tracked down the story...unfortunately it looks like a lot of the stuff you attribute to Coach Pierce was actually opinion expressed by Gustavo Arellano, the guy who wrote the article. Dude seems to have a real personal axe to grind re: OC football culture...
hit the lights wrote:Coach Pierce...calling OC players and QB'S silver spooned, soft, coddled, tells them to stay along the coast line.
Let's break it down...when the writer uses "quote" marks, it's a quote...when he doesn't, it's his own opinion. Here's everything he attributed to Pierce in quotes:
Coach Pierce:
"These golden quarterbacks of Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinert—these guys have been silver-spooned," Pierce said. "They've gone through a robotic system of how to play quarterback. . . . Mom and Dad get the best trainers."..."all the tools, playing with some of the best athletes in the world"..."need...to stay along that coastline...when the bright lights came on, you get out of Dodge. And that's what you saw in high school; you see that now in the NFL."
First off...Pierce wasn't talking about just "OC" players, Arellano specifically states that "Pierce didn't specifically target Orange County by name, saying instead "Southern California"...

As for staying along the "coastline", Pierce wasn't talking about high school. The subject was Blake Barnett of Corona Santiago who quit Alabama to transfer to USC (he ended up at ASU). Pierce was talking about west coast-raised QBs not being able to play well away from home in college or the NFL...

"Silver spooned"? Check. "Soft"? Nope. "Coddled"? Wrong again.

One of those QB'S he was refering to was MV qb coach and O COORDINATOR Rob Johnson, and coddling father coach Bob Johnson.

Just plain wrong. Pierce never said a word about Rob or Bob Johnson, that was Arellano...again.

In this article of Pierce and his ruthless comments...

"Ruthless"? Hmm, that's just the word the author used too...

im wondering if he still cant get over the 1990 CIF final when OC South County QB Tony Soliday and Capo Valley beat up on his Paramount Pirates?

Interesting speculation, seeing as Pierce was 12 years old at the time :-k

...LONG BEACH is, where i believe is also along the coastline...

This one you got right =D>

OC HS Football Fan

Post by OC HS Football Fan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am

insidetrinity wrote:kind of a dumb article IMO. he uses black barnett who is from corona which is in riverside not orange county. other than that, waller seems to have not done anything, but darnold is doing well. pierce criticized barkely, palmer, sanchez, and leinart all who got drafted. they havent turned out to be tom brady but its not like they are all failing
This article is total garbage.

Palmer, Sanchez and Leinart were all first round picks with incredible college careers. 2 of the 3 were Heisman Trophy winners and all three won a BCS bowl game. Leinart won two national championships. All three were starters and had some degree of success in the NFL. That's some pretty damn exclusive company.

Your kid has a much better chance to grow up to be a leading neurosurgeon than a starting NFL QB. Would you call them a failure if they weren't the top neurosurgeon at Harvard?

As so many have pointed out, failing to make an NFL roster as a QB does not define the success of a region. Plenty of OC QBs have gone on to start and have successful college careers that he failed to note.

Also, there have been only thirty something QBs to win a SuperBowl all time. It would be absurd to use that as the measuring stick for success.

Of course training helps make you better, and it makes sense that families with more resources can do it more easily. That's why you see QBs come from families with resources. But it doesn't make the ensuing product worse because of it.

So he's essentially saying that you shouldn't train for your position. Or value those who do. And you wonder why this cat can't win anything at Poly.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:09 am

SK80 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 am
Well why all you guys are still sleeping on Chase Garbers @ CDM the kid threw for 6 TD's in one half last night. Surely JT Daniels is going to get the spotlight in the OC this year with the "Pro" type team they have built over there but collegient football intstitutions watch the off season tourneys and combines to pick their future QB's from. Garbers garnered the coveted QB spot for CAL class of 2017 from his off season performances. If you get the chance go watch this kid.

For the record, I think Sam Darnold is the real deal. A true freshman changed the way his offense played from the moment he got the call at Utah. Even in that horrible loss for USC that day what Darnold did was spectacular.

Here is to looking forward to Darold, Garbers and Daniels doing the OC QB tag proud!

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/garbe ... asses.html
Well from my post (2016) over 3 years ago, looking at my comments for OC QB's..., in time we got a NFL starter, a NCAA D1 PAC-12 starter and 2019 REDBOX BOWL MVP and a "wait and see".

Your REDBOX BOWL MVP........ CHASE GARBERS!

Chase Garbers leads California past Illinois in Redbox Bowl
www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-12-30 ... wl-roundup
90.jpeg
California’s defensive player of the game Zeandae Johnson and offensive player of the game Chase Garbers celebrates after a victory over Illinois on Monday in the Redbox Bowl.
(Thearon W. Henderson / Getty Images)

And for those whom stated or assured us that a PCL QB couldn't stand behind a line created all things "equal" and pass the ball to a Trinity player at any level.... =D>

GARBERS (CDM) to REMIGIO (MD)

"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:44 am

Great performance by Garbers.

This was a stupid article. There have been as many successful QBs come out of OC as anywhere else in the country, and the rate of guys that don't live up to the hype isn't any higher.

Cody Fajardo took over the QB job for the Saskatchewan Roughriders after an injury to the starter in the first game. He led the league in passing yards and was runner-up in the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award. Fajardo led the league in passing yards and was 7th in rushing. And he's not an OC guy, but Vernon Adams out of Alemany just finished his first year as a full-time starter and was second in the league in TD passes. I loved watching that kid play.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm

Matt Barkley has pretty much been a journeyman QB in the NFL, I wonder if his NFL career will last well into his 30's decade.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Go ahead and wonder to your heart's content.

FYI the average NFL career for a quarterback is three years. Barkley entered the league in 2013 and he's under contract with the Bills through 2020.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:24 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Matt Barkley has pretty much been a journeyman QB in the NFL, I wonder if his NFL career will last well into his 30's decade.
Matt Barkley makes $1.5 million a year holding a clipboard. How much do you make?

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:32 am

That’s a very good point. If you can hold on long enough and stand on the sidelines without getting beat up week after week making millions, why wouldn’t you. Ain’t no shame in that game.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:34 am

Green Light....... :thumbsup:

"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Saw another tweet that has him winning the Heisman this year :roll: ...Biggins and everyone else needs to stop and take a deep breath

Oh and btw returning QB Mac Jones Jones went 3-1 in games he started for TT with 13 TDs and just 2 INTs capped by a Citrus Bowl stomping of Michigan...
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Matt Barkley has always been rich, I've known for years now that he comes from a very rich, very wealthy family, being Newport Beach residents. Still, for him to have NFL success, I have no doubt the MD community would love for that, I guess it can still be said, John Huarte is the MD QB that had the most NFL success.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:24 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:12 pm
I guess it can still be said, John Huarte is the MD QB that had the most NFL success.
Absolutely untrue.

Matt Leinart threw for 4,065 yards and 15 TD's in 33 games.
Matt Barkley has thrown for 2,502 yards and 10 TD's in 14 games.
John Huarte threw for only 230 yards and 1 TD in 24 games.

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:00 am

always thought that backup QB in the NFL is one of the best jobs in the world. $1.5 mil/yr to basically hold a clipboard-and not get your brains scrambled.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 pm

College Football's Top 35 Early Projected Breakout Players for 2020
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ayers-2020

OC QB's actually making the grade... :thumbsup:

Chase Garbers, QB, California
cal-logo.png
cal-logo.png (29.62 KiB) Viewed 422 times
How big of a difference does a healthy Garbers make to California’s offense?

Consider this: He went 7-0 when starting and playing for more than a half in 2019. Garbers threw for 1,772 yards and 14 touchdowns to just three picks in nine overall appearances and added another 223 yards and three scores on the ground.

Former NFL coordinator Bill Musgrave is set to take over the play-calling duties in Berkeley next season, and the veteran assistant should help Garbers elevate his play in 2020."

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:18 pm

A former OC quarterback keeping his NFL dreams alive at the fullback position.
https://www.brownsnation.com/cleveland- ... y-stanton/