2017 Sunset League / Division 2

Cdm96

Re: 2017 Sunset League / Division 2

Post by Cdm96 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Newps,

Funny that you call out the “know it alls” on the forum.

CDM is absolutely not playing Trabuco in 2018 or anytime soon.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 am

Uh Oh NEWPS vs CDM96 :slapfight: It's "BOB" on OCConnect!

OK, so whoa re they playing --:--
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Newps wrote:SK80,
Garbers is the odd man out at QB. His mom is pissed and if anyone leaves it will be him. The Booty family is happy as can be at Cdm and are going nowhere. It’s always a good laugh to read some of the “know it alls” on the forum. Booty to Humphreys and Redman for years to come!
It's been my experience that QBs tend to be good athletes. Could one of these guys play a different position? Would either be willing?

If one were to leave, they have to "shop" around... and try to find a school that has a good program and ensures a starting spot to an unhappy transfer QB. Not to sure how many of those schools exist within a decent radius of CDM. I'm sure neither want to transfer and play JV...

The mantra should be compete, compete, compete for your spot... If you don't win the battle and you want to be on the field, then compete, compete, compete at a different position.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Garbers to Servite! :thumbsup: :cheers:
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am

@TD, agree for the most part on the compete, compete, compete. And at a young age with eligibility still left much can happen or change from chance to luck to varying opportunity. That said I see two super talents to close in age and one is going to see a diminished HS career in the presence of the other. As we know today, moving schools is a logical move.

Coach O' Shea is not opposed to playing multi QB's as we saw this past season but this seems to be a bit different.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 am

That's too bad... It's a bummer for a kid that grows up in a community, plays with kids in a community, only to leave that community for a shot at more playing time.

But... like I said earlier, it would be a tough move... It will be difficult to transfer into a quality program that doesn't already have a quality QB or 2 in their program... within a decent driving radius of CDM.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 am

Tell me about it..., I watch it closely and it hurts. Not sure this is one of those situations where they are both stellar dual athletes. Both can run but they are not "dual" QB's per say. They are pure "Pro-Style" throwers and both are D1 and Trinity worthy.

Chase Garbers did so much for CDM Football and the family is family! But then again the community so embraced DJ Rodman and he was one of the schools most adored student. It was very unlikely he would ever leave. Heck, he even sold us our Christmas tree at the CDM Boys Basketball XMAS tree fundraiser last year. Yet when reality or opportunity knocks, chances are something happens. DJ shockingly announced he was leaving for Serra. Huge setback for CDM basketball, huge setback for the student body and community.

Hey let's be real, hope we keep both and never ha a QB depth issue. This will be an interesting story stay tuned.

Cdm96

Post by Cdm96 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 am

JSerra, El Toro, San Clemente are all locked in.

Last I heard was a rumor about playing Lakewood in Long Beach. The 5th game is still up in the air, but certainly not Trabuco. I would love to see Palos Verdes, Tesoro, or Capo, but not sure if any of those are options.

I agree the qb situation is interesting. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 am

Need an inland OC team to step up.... :eh?: Pacifica? Tustin? V.P. ? Would love to get a payback game against B.P. !

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Garbers to Servite! :thumbsup: :cheers:
What is this? A guy who hates transfers is not only hoping to land a big one, but actively campaigning for it? I guess it's all the fault of the Orange Diocese lawsuit though, right?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 pm

MDDad wrote:
What is this? A guy who hates transfers is not only hoping to land a big one, but actively campaigning for it? I guess it's all the fault of the Orange Diocese lawsuit though, right?
You said it. --:-- Took you long enough. Thought I lost you.

Tongue-in-cheek obviously. No way Garbers is going to commute that far to go to Servite. Unless traffic has improved a whole hell of a lot since I lived there.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Fate - You never know, ya; it's a drive but he would probably be the starter next season for
you, no? JSerra is another possibility also - btw, why don't you make your moniker the same
on the other board also, I don't think it would too much of a hassle?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Yeah, I think he ends up at J Serra. I do think he would start at Servite, but I don't think he comes to Anaheim.

I like Professor Fate, but the other guy had it first.

frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

A lot easier to get to San Juan Capistrano from CDM than it to get to Anaheim (if all else is even).

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 am

SK, please clear up the rumor on the CDM and transfers.

Lastly I heard with the exception of football, the 8 teams are going to break up into two divisions. Lord I hate this concept. I heard one is called "Surf" and the other Wave...since Fryer has not confirmed it cant be true. What public employee named this one.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 am

Everyone makes their own comments. That's how rumors get started. ~ Venus Williams

Whether rumor or not there is so much focus now on transfers (see all the posts and threads here of late) in HS Football that anyone and everyone with big talent or huge upside is a candidate for becoming the subject of a rumor. The reality now is that if you are the best at your game, position and a talent of D1 caliber you are a target. You will be approached and propositioned by those destination schools both public and private that attract top athletes.

From what I know with my ear on the ground, hand on the pulse is much of what is being said is rumor. I know of nothing concrete to support it but that doesn't mean its not on the table, being thought about, discussed with any of the players mentioned. CDM is so use to being targeted for talent so it is nothing new.

Many of our best Water Polo, Tennis and Volleyball players are faced with this decision to play for a private mainly the Trinity league or stay at home with friends, family and community. Because we are such a proud and supportive community it is very difficult to stomach what is going on now. Even in the face of what we can somewhat agree may have greater consequence for furthering a student and their athletic career. Many of us question this and I understand it more in football than I do in the other sports mentioned above. If you play Polo or VBall for CDM, Harbor or Huntington you get recruited just the same by USC, UCLA and Stanford if you happen to not choose MD. Football no question a kid going to MD is going to face better competition, be around elite coaches, facilities, scouts, money and everything that comes with it.

Ironic you brought this up as I just saw this post on Twitter by Roosevelt High School regarding one of their football players. And it is not whom that player is but what he did and how the community reacted around him.
roosytweet.png
This is exactly the sentiment and support we provide in our community. Kudos to Roosevelt for posting this and showing these kids the other side of the coin. It's about community. If a kid is an exceptional talent yet comes from a school system or area that has little community or public support it is an easy answer or reason to be able to walk away. I can attest that kids having to choose to leave CDM is no envious position. They are walking away from a lot. It's very tough on these kids and as mentioned before many times it is parents being woo'd and convinced it best for the kid.

If Booty and Humphries walk in unison as mentioned hear I the most ardent HS Football Fan will likely walk away from the game as I have the NFL!

As for the Sunset, yes the plan is two divisions, SURF & WAVE. Teams will be placed depending on sport based on merit each season is what I heard with SURF being the upper division. Go figure.... more complexity. Can't we just all go back to our block vs your block.... #-o

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm

SK,

Outside the QB situation at CDM, given Hudl, how recruiting is done today, camps, etc...it is not necessary to got to MD or JS. It kills me to see these frosh and sophs drift back into the Sunset league due to parents. As Al has said colleges look at your tool box, not the name on the HS jersey.

I wont give up on HS sports, something has to give. The worse move the CIF did is allow club coaches to coach HS kids, now it has worked it way into its cash cow (FB) and could implode the CIF as we know it one day, irony if you ask me.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Not sure I follow your wording, "kills me to see Fr/Soph drift back into Sunset League.."? Is your point you want good talent at the Fr/Soph level to move out or transfer to better schools mainly the privates?

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:04 pm

my point on the freshman and sophomores, a handful of kids from Trinity teams leave their private school after their frosh or sophomore season, when they realize they are not going to play.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Got it.... understand that. Sitting on the bench at that point becomes a choice, hard choice. Again, can't we go back to our block vs your block? --:--