Horrible news from De La Salle up north

OC 111

Horrible news from De La Salle up north

Post by OC 111 »

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/19/ ... t-student/

Sad news out of De La Salle high school in California. Last year one of their football players was convicted of raping a Carondelet student while on the De la Salle campus. Yesterday another football player was arrested for the alleged rape of another student from Carondelet.
Last edited by OC 111 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchersince68

Re: Horrible news from De La Salle up north

Post by watchersince68 »

!5 to 17 year olds are not not the most conscientious around the opposite sex, signals get crossed and kids do stupid things. Hopefully justice is done, the truth comes out and appropriate punishment is given. This could happen at any school and usually does, most of the time there is no press jumping on it but it is De La Salle and the press is unforgiving.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I'm sorry. What was that you said? Rape "could happen at any school and usually does"? We're talking High School here. I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that there is rampant rape on High School campuses across the nation but only De La Salle manages to make the news.

Two does not make a pattern per se, but its anything but usual.

You also seem to be suggesting that this incident may not really be rape but confused signals about sex. It's time we stopped making excuses for the male population and start teaching boys at a young age what it means to truly respect women.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!
OC 111

Post by OC 111 »

not4u13 wrote:I'm sorry. What was that you said? Rape "could happen at any school and usually does"? We're talking High School here. I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that there is rampant rape on High School campuses across the nation but only De La Salle manages to make the news.

Two does not make a pattern per se, but its anything but usual.

You also seem to be suggesting that this incident may not really be rape but confused signals about sex. It's time we stopped making excuses for the male population and start teaching boys at a young age what it means to truly respect women.
The first incident was bad enough. It is supposed to have happened under the football bleachers. After a playoff game. And was captured either partially or completely by their on campus security cameras.

What is De La Salle going to do about this happening again?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

not4u13 wrote: It's time we stopped making excuses for the male population and start teaching boys at a young age what it means to
Big international discussion on that right now.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Bick

Post by Bick »

not4u13 wrote: It's time we stopped making excuses for the male population and start teaching boys at a young age what it means to truly respect women.
Completely agree. I believe that starts with self respect and core values to get there. If you don't respect yourself, not likely you'll respect others. Might be an interesting discussion on the political forum.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

not4u
I don't think any of us were there to witness the rape, I would be careful to ruin a young man's life so quickly,
we are not privy to the facts. However if indeed it was rape than damn well throw the book at him. My point is
at teen ages girls and boys do stupid stuff, get the facts, then make judgement.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

It is true that we should not draw any conclusions ourselves. We may never know what really happened as it's unlikely that anyone close to this will share details. I would hate for anyone's life to be ruined by a false accusation so it's probably best to reserve any comment until more is known.

At this point, it's a sad day for the program. False or not, this kind of publicity isn't good for the school or the football program. Mom's are already pretty edgy about letting their boys play for fear of injury. The idea that discipline and respect could also be an issue will take some convincing to overcome.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

not4u13 wrote:At this point, it's a sad day for the program. False or not, this kind of publicity isn't good for the school or the football program. Mom's are already pretty edgy about letting their boys play for fear of injury. The idea that discipline and respect could also be an issue will take some convincing to overcome.
Yes, it's a sad day and bad publicity for the program...and it's entirely undeserved. As a society we too easily affix blame and responsibility on schools and sports programs that rightly belong with the young men and their parents. Where these boys attended high school, or what football team they played for, have no relevance to what they did. I consider one of the De La Salle assistant coaches a friend, and I don't need to call him to be assured that sexual assault or lack of respect for women are not things they teach as part of their coaching routine.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I've seen a couple related stories to this lately - not about rapes, but about racist videos. One was some cheerleaders and another was some junior high football players. And the "solutions"? Look into kicking the cheerleaders off the squad and make the football teams forfeit the season and have the coaches "counsel" the boys. Sorry administrators, but the problem is much deeper than the cheerleading squad and whatever a coach can tell a handful of boys on a football team. These incidents aren't reflections on any of the schools' programs but on the student bodies' parents. Racism is wrong and rape is even wronger. Somebody didn't get that message across and it wasn't the fault or the responsibility of any of the coaches.
OC HS Football Fan

Post by OC HS Football Fan »

MDDad wrote: As a society we too easily affix blame and responsibility on schools and sports programs that rightly belong with the young men and their parents.
Funny, if the kid went to Mater Dei you MD honks would trip over yourselves saying how it's solely the dad's responsibility and not the kid just like you tried to say was the case with St. Brown. So which one is it MD honks? Such hypocrites....
Last edited by OC HS Football Fan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I'm confused. MDD says it's the parents' responsibility and you say he's wrong, it's the parents' responsibility. :eh?:

Oh. And BTW your other post was deleted.
OC HS Football Fan

MDDad wrote: that rightly belong with the young men and their parents
In the St. Brown/Thug thread MDD and other MD supporters said it wasn't the kids fault, but rather the dad's fault. Many still echoed that same sentiment in the CaneProtein/St. Brown thread. In this DLS case, MDD says it's both the kid and the parents. I'm questioning why the disconnect and that it is both of their responsibilities.

In terms of my other post, why delete it? Would like to understand exactly where you draw the line in here.
Last edited by OC HS Football Fan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

"Classless personal attack" was the moderator's note l put on it.
OC HS Football Fan

Wow - then you may as well delete half of the posts on these boards. Where do you see these deleted posts? Also, please point me where I can find how we're defining classless in here....
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Jesus, OCHSFBF, you're right on the verge of becoming the new joke of this forum.

If a father tells his son to do something stupid on camera and the son obeys, yes, the bulk of the blame must go to the father. If his son sexually assaults a girl, it's on him and how he was raised, as it's highly unlikely his father instructed him to do it. A person of even average intelligence should be able to discern the difference. You've made it clear you're agenda here is to look for hypocrisy among Mater Dei fans, but you don't have the right to make it up.
OC HS Football Fan

You're trying to restate the argument so as to hide your hypocrisy. Of course they're not moral equivalents, but in both cases the son made a choice (in St. Brown's case, he did it twice even though he knew the first time was a mistake per what he allegedly told watcher at a gas station). You can't excuse away St. Brown's choices, just like you can't excuse away the DLS kid's behavior. And in both cases, the parents share responsibility as well.
OC HS Football Fan

That helps clarify some things, but again the application of these rules seems pretty arbitrary. Not sure what crosses the line (or where the line is drawn) since many posts seem to violate these rules yet they remain on this board.