Division 1 Playoffs

Playthegame

Re: Division 1 Playoffs

Post by Playthegame »

Nade is big upfront and 18 on D and that Bruiser 21 is a beast, MV for the win though...
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Could be they are big up front, 18 on D, 21 -RB is a beast, speed kills and all though not impressive stepping off the bus MV D is really good, better than Nade...MV No Doubt...
TheFan

Post by TheFan »

MD wins this division, interesting people are still discussing who will be #2 to 16.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

I guess interesting people were in a coma last December 3...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

PTG,
BIG game this week vs the Tritons! Coach Johnsons last hoorah in the south coast.
SC coming in 9-0 , first time since 1975 , ranked 14 th in the state, while MV is number 3 in the OC and 6th in the state.
Really, SC doesnt even belong in this game, MV is to big, to fast, and too smart for the Tritons. MV'S defense with Their front 7, Lavelle, and speed and db's in the secondary presents a HUGE challenge.,As the Diablos show no sign of weakness. We see how good santa margarita is doing and MV beat them. It sounds like its going to be a big atmosphere at Diablo stadium.
This has to be the game of the week!
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

Any changes to the playoff bracket with SM beating Jserra?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

It depends on how the CIF rankings change tomorrow afternoon.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

MD Dad

If I was MV I'd much rather play Chaminade than SM or JSERRA in round 1. I know it's not possible ha. I don't understand the Chaminade love over MV. Last wk they beat 1-4 in league Notre Dame SO by 5. I find it hard to believe that MV has a tight game against ND or Serra another nada 5 point win. What if Bishop Amant beats Chaminade next week? That seems entirely possible if not likely?
dntn31

Post by dntn31 »

New Poll released today:

1 Mater Dei
2 Cen10
3 Bosco
4 Chaminade
5 Mission Viejo
6 Rancho Cucamonga
7 San Clemente
8 Poly
9 Santa Margarita
10 JSerra

Also, does anyone know why the D1 championship game is being played at Cerritos College this year instead of at Angel Stadium?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I'm not sure why, but thank God.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

I don't understand the Chaminade love over MV.

Perhaps Friday night will shed some light...

Per Calpreps' state rankings:

#4 Mission Viejo 71.7 - SOS 41.8
vs.
#15 San Clemente 59.8 - SOS 34.7

#7 Chaminade 69.6 - SOS 46.3
vs.
#22 Bishop Amat 54.5 - SOS 53.2
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
dntn31

Post by dntn31 »

Updated my bracket projection to reflect tonight's scores. Vista Murrietta losing and finishing 3rd in the Southwestern league really shook things up.

Loyola and Alemany are out.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

I sure hope your right I like Serra much better than SM or JSERRA for MV.
Last edited by FBOC on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

First an observation. In your bracket JSerra gets a much more favorable draw for round 1 and the quarters than Santa Margarita. If I'm SM I'm trading places with the Lions all day long.

In the new playoff system implemented last year, is it still essential what the league finish is if there are 18 teams vying for 16 spots and everyone sizes up all 18 all year? In other words the Trinity # 2-5 and maybe even the Trinity # 2-6 are all better than the South Coast #2. My point is that in your model San Clemente's draw is far better than both the Trinity #3 (SM's) and the Trinity #4 (JSerra's).

Assuming your projection is accurate, why should SM play at Poly if SM will be ranked higher on Sunday? (Yeah yeah yeah there is no CIF-SS poll this week but to those building the bracket #9 SM will theoretically jump both #8 Poly and #7 San Clemente in the next 24 hours.) If the Trinity League is perceived in the CIF-SS's mind as stronger than the Moore League and the Trinity #3 is ranked higher and has more power points than the Moore #1 why should the Moore #1 be awarded a home game over the more deserving Trinity #3? If your answer is, "The CIF Playoff Manual says a League #1 gets to host a home game" then a discussion needs to be had about the relevance of that given the reality of today's world where a super league dominates an entire division.
dntn31

Post by dntn31 »

Mr. Grady wrote:First an observation. In your bracket JSerra gets a much more favorable draw for round 1 and the quarters than Santa Margarita. If I'm SM I'm trading places with the Lions all day long.
That's a valid observation, and I wouldn't be surprised if JSerra and SM are flipped. Essentially, the CIF-SS has a lot of "wiggle room" for placing #3 and At-Large teams, as long as all of the other bracket guidelines are adhered to. As I was creating my bracket, I had to swap Poly and Murrietta Valley in order to make sure that league #1s and #2s were on opposite sides of the bracket. This ended up with Murrietta Valley having a higher "seed" (unofficially since no real seeds exist after the top 4) and drawing the lower ranked Trinity team between JSerra and SM. As I said, if my projection ends up being correct (there's a chance it's not), I wouldn't be surprised if the CIF swaps JSerra and SM to reflect the strength of their respective opponents.
Mr. Grady wrote:In the new playoff system implemented last year, is it still essential what the league finish is if there are 18 teams vying for 16 spots and everyone sizes up all 18 all year?
League finish is important in determining autobids (who gets in) and how teams are matched up against each other. I posted the direct quotes earlier in this thread, but the CIF tries to match #2 teams against #2 teams and #1 teams against #3 (and At-Large teams). It doesn't state so explicitly, but I do believe they try to give "better" teams more favorable draws while still adhering to their guidelines.
Mr. Grady wrote:In other words the Trinity # 2-5 and maybe even the Trinity # 2-6 are all better than the South Coast #2. My point is that in your model San Clemente's draw is far better than both the Trinity #3 (SM's) and the Trinity #4 (JSerra's).
This is an unfortunate result of the CIF-SS using a combination of their outdated guidlines + the new divisional structure.
Mr. Grady wrote:Assuming your projection is accurate, why should SM play at Poly if SM will be ranked higher on Sunday? (Yeah yeah yeah there is no CIF-SS poll this week but to those building the bracket #9 SM will theoretically jump both #8 Poly and #7 San Clemente in the next 24 hours.) If the Trinity League is perceived in the CIF-SS's mind as stronger than the Moore League and the Trinity #3 is ranked higher and has more power points than the Moore #1 why should the Moore #1 be awarded a home game over the more deserving Trinity #3? If your answer is, "The CIF Playoff Manual says a League #1 gets to host a home game" then a discussion needs to be had about the relevance of that given the reality of today's world where a super league dominates an entire division.
You answered your own question. #1 teams in league get first round home games. I'm not saying it's right, it's just an artifact of their outdated structure. I agree that these things should be revised given the new divisional structure.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

my top picks for D-1
MD
BOSCO
Corona Centenniel
Mission Viejo
Chaminade
Serra / Gardena
Rancho Cucamonga
Poly
Santa Margarita
Jserra
Bishop Amat
Last night a classic took place with talent all over the field.
Long Beach Poly vs Serra of Gardena.
Serra won 24-20, and # 8 Merlin Robertson LB 6'3 220 LBS was dominate!! straight up beast!
This guy has to be the best LB in California or the country?
Along with him was Bryan Addison wr/db 6'5 175 and RB, Kalen Thomas 5'8 180, also dominate vs Poly.
As for Poly, still too many turnovers, and Corral QB, seems to like to throw touchdowns to the other team.
Serra took one to the house, and as i remember , MV'S G-CHILD took one too. Does Poly have a QB COACH?
Earlier this year, Chaminade and Serra played, and Chaminade won 37-32.
At the next level, it will be interesting tonight as Khalil Tate takes on USC , and see if he can do what hes been doing??
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

dntn31 wrote: by dntn31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 am

Updated my bracket projection to reflect tonight's scores. Vista Murrietta losing and finishing 3rd in the Southwestern league really shook things up.

Loyola and Alemany are out.
How does 4-6 Vista Murrieta get in over 5-5 Loyola?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

HTL, with your list, I assume you put Serra above LB Poly in your ranking because they beat them last night. However did you also take into effect that Serra lost to Bishop Amat just 2 weeks ago?

I can understand why you would make sure Poly was below Serra, but then Serra would be below Bishop Amat and BA should be below RC and JSerra after losing to both of them.
I would think in all fairness that your list would look more like this with those considerations.
MD
BOSCO
Corona Centenniel
Mission Viejo
Chaminade
Rancho Cucamonga
Santa Margarita
JSerra
Bishop Amat (Mission 2nd place team 5-1 in league)
Serra / Gardena (Mission 3rd place team 4-2 in league)
?
LB Poly
( there could be a case made for even San Clemente to go ahead of Poly and in the rankings last week San Clemente was.)
Poly should be 11th or 12th in Div 1
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Professor Fate wrote:How does 4-6 Vista Murrieta get in over 5-5 Loyola?
a 4-6 3rd place team in a league with a 3rd place team gets an automatic placement over a 5 -5 4th 4th or 6th place team based on coin flip who by the way just lost to a 3-7 Alemany last night. 4- 6 team is not in the pool of at-large teams, they are 3rd place in their league. Thats how.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Thanks Tony,

I didn't realize that 3rd place in a league whose members are spread over other lower divisions, Including Div 4 and Div 5, would still get an automatic bid in Div 1. Something's not right about that.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020