Division 1 Playoffs

hit the lights

Re: Division 1 Playoffs

Post by hit the lights »

2002Tony,
Looks good. Didnt realize that on Amat. Is Poly this bad??
I for sure dont think San Clemente is better than poly. Poly would win by 14+
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Notwithstanding the 12-7 loss at home to MV earlier this year, the good Poly - the one that plays at the friendly confines of the Vet and on that turf - is 14 or more points better than the bad Poly you often see on the road against quality opponents.

Sure, teams generally play better at home, but San Clemente is another team like Poly that traditionally plays significantly better at home than on the road.

My point is that I'd lay 14 points and take the home team if those two matched up.

Expanding the conversation a bit, Alemany, Oaks Christian and St. Bonnies also come to mind as relatively remote schools (i.e. forever bus rides) that at one time had the same type of San Clemente home field edge. Not sure that's really true anymore. Same with The Pit which used to make a huge psychological difference for Sammy and the Swordsmen.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

HTL,
i think if Poly played SC that Poly would win. In the middle of the season SC nor Poly were not even ranked in the top 10. In week 7 I think it was they both came back into the top 10 at 9 and 10 with SC at 9 as the trinity league teams started bumping each other off.

What will be interesting how this will shake out with LB Poly losing to Serra ( a 3rd place team in the Mission) Could they have a rematch next week with Poly being a 1st place team from the Moore?

I think Poly is now 2 and 9 against D1 teams in the past 3 years. Now they have played really good teams, dont take that record as they are a bad D -1 team, but they still have not won a game against D 1 type teams with the exception of beating Narbonne twice (2015 and 2017).

So you dont have to look it up, 3 years of losses are to 2015 - Centennial (peoria, AZ), Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, 2016 - Narbonne, Mission Viejo, IMG, Chaminade (3rd place team in first round of playoffs) , 2017 - Mission Viejo, Serra.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

I’m not defending Poly... but those 9 teams you listed that they have lost to in the past 3 years are no joke. There are maybe only a handful of teams in the country (and this includes the local big 3) that would have a winning record against that group.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Here is the bracket.......! Don'y mind the mistype at OCV with the "11"!
Attachments
Div1CIF.png
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

They didn't do Centennial any favors as a 2 seed. IMO they have a tougher road to the semis than Bosco, Chaminade and MV. Serra in Round 1 then at SM on the road in Round 2. I bet they would have rather been the 3 seed.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Rita got a sweet 1st first round match up, MV got better than expected, looking forward to MD/Poly...Braves have to love their path. Best first round match ups LBP/JS CC/Serra will be very interesting...
Luca

Post by Luca »

Nobody has started the thread yet, but my picks are going to be:

Mater Dei
JSerra (assuming they don't have another cluster of injuries)
Mission Viejo
Chaminade (but this is going to be a close one, Lutheran might upset)
Bosco
Rancho Cucamonga
Santa Margarita
Centennial
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I agree with most of those, except I'm not sure San Clemente loses to Rancho Cucamonga.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Red

Post by Red »

My upset of the week is Servite over Mission Viejo.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.
RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner »

SC will lose to RC....
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Um, Luca, you picked all the favorites... :-k

Interesting send-off for Sponge Bob...if he wants to bow out with his first D1 championship he might have to beat 4 Trinity teams to do it
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Luca

Post by Luca »

I don't think JSerra is going to be favored over Poly or even Santa Margarita over Murietta Valley, both away.

If you have to have an upset, go with Lutheran over Chaminade. Ultimately it's meaningless since three of the final four have been preordained since June of last year......................Luca
Playingtime

Post by Playingtime »

I have started a D1 Playoff Thread... oddly titled, "D1 Playoff Thread". post your picks there again LUCA.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

FWIW, here are the Calpreps computer projections, all on a neutral field
Not sure if this includes data from Friday's games:

Mater Dei over Vista Murrieta 56-0
JSerra over Long Beach Poly 38-21
Mission Viejo over Servite 35-21
Chaminade over Orange Lutheran 40-27
St. John Bosco over Bishop Amat 41-12
Rancho Cucamonga over San Clemente 31-21
Santa Margarita over Murrieta Valley 48-24
Centennial over Serra 49-21

I agree with you about OLu-Chaminade, it could turn into a real shootout
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

MD over VM
Poly over JS
Mission over Servite
OL over Chaminade (upset special)
Bosco over Amat
RC over SC
SM over MV
Centennial over Serra
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

Luca wrote:I don't think JSerra is going to be favored over Poly or even Santa Margarita over Murietta Valley, both away.

If you have to have an upset, go with Lutheran over Chaminade. Ultimately it's meaningless since three of the final four have been preordained since June of last year......................Luca
Come on Santa Margarita is Favored over Murrietta. San Clemente beat them 62 27.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

Anybody know the capacity of Chaminade's stadium? Did anyone see the OLU SM game? Did OLU play really well or was SM flat? If OLU plays like last week they may have a shot. If they win that would be nice for MV OCC is much closer than a potential trip to Chaminade.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

SM scored 28 of their 38 points in the last 15 minutes of the game

Chaminade should put two DBs on Ford on every play, dude is a pass-catching machine
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

Mission won the coin toss over Chaminade so Mission would be home team should they face Chaminade in quarterfinal. OLU would host Mission automatically since OLU is away their first game.

Here is link with the results for the coin flips so you can see location of quarterfinals.
https://cifss.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... MASTER.pdf