SM V J. SERRA - Predictions??

Playingtime

SM V J. SERRA - Predictions??

Post by Playingtime »

Ok folks. I have not had the yearly Trinity prediction contest this year, but lets try this week, for the only game that should be hard to call. My take;

This is setting up to be a great game. Very even match going in. Some interesting points to consider;

The winner will most likely be the 3rd place rep from the Trinity

The game is on campus at J Serra. A definite home field advantage

MD puts up 70 on SM, and then 45 on JS. MD gave up 35 to SM and then 3 to JS. Does that help me with predicting the game, not really

Hard to get read based on non-league results
          When these JS seniors were freshmen, they went undefeated. They smoked SM - meaningful?.. Not sure
            No love lost between these two schools
              The JS "stadium" will be sold out. Picture your school's practice and lower level game field with 3000 in attendance, and all sitting VERY close to the field
                JS homecoming

Both teams are well coached, have been through the bulk of her schedules, and are well prepared. Should be a hell of a game

My prediction - SM 31 - 28.... Why?...not exactly sure.

Predictions due by 5:30 Friday.... I will post the results on Saturday. I will do the same for the playoffs...
                  jb914

Re: SM V J. SERRA - Predictions??

Post by jb914 »

Assuming JSerra's Fisher is healthy and they have a running game.

Santa Margarita 35
                  JSerra 17
                  frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

If Fisher healthy balanced offense of JSerra might save the day. Home field might be worth a touchdown to JSerra.

The treatment SM is going to get when they come on the field right in front of the JSerra student section (in the endzone) will be a sight to behold-and may set the tone for the entire game.

JSerra 31-30
                  Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

SM and Norwood are getting better every week

SM by 1-2 scores
                  "Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
                  George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
                  Donald Trump
                  longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

When MD played SM--SM had ABSOLUTELY no DEFENSE!!! MD could have scored 100 points against SM. I don't feel
                  that SM could score 35 points again against MD. MD played defense against JSerra and I don't feel they were
                  "interested" in SM the week before the Bosco game. Off the two games JSerra seems to be the better defensive
                  team. I know that JS has some injuries ----don't know if that will be a determining factor in the game against
                  SM. Im going to go with JS because of their defense.
                  frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

Playingtime wrote:Ok folks. I have not had the yearly Trinity prediction contest this year, but lets try this week, for the only game that should be hard to call. My take;

This is setting up to be a great game. Very even match going in. Some interesting points to consider;

The winner will most likely be the 3rd place rep from the Trinity

The game is on campus at J Serra. A definite home field advantage

MD puts up 70 on SM, and then 45 on JS. MD gave up 35 to SM and then 3 to JS. Does that help me with predicting the game, not really

Hard to get read based on non-league results
                          When these JS seniors were freshmen, they went undefeated. They smoked SM - meaningful?.. Not sure
                            No love lost between these two schools
                              The JS "stadium" will be sold out. Picture your school's practice and lower level game field with 3000 in attendance, and all sitting VERY close to the field
                                JS homecoming

Both teams are well coached, have been through the bulk of her schedules, and are well prepared. Should be a hell of a game

My prediction - SM 31 - 28.... Why?...not exactly sure.

Predictions due by 5:30 Friday.... I will post the results on Saturday. I will do the same for the playoffs...

The interesting thing is that outside of the temp bleachers (BTW-the view from the east side of the stadium of sunset over the hills is spectacular) everything else is new and modern-turf, sound system, lighting, etc.

Another unique feature are the hospitality tents in the south end zone. Maybe one of the few places you can watch HS football with a glass of wine and an appetizer? If they ever build a stadium there, I predict 10 brand-new skyboxes :)
                                  BuckW

Post by BuckW »

I agree Frankie Boy it is definitely a cool setting for a high school football game. The stands are up close to the action. I wish the city of RSM would approve home games for SM on their campus.
                                  MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Personally, I think serving wine at a high school football game played on a high school football campus is out of line...Christ's actions at Cana notwithstanding.
                                  watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

MDDad
                                  At first read I disagreed with your thinking. Certainly any lure to get south county parents to attend a sport
                                  function, which they avoid, seemingly would make sense. However alcohol and parental attitudes at sports functions
                                  may not mix. A wine goblet at the back of a refs head would soon follow.
                                  frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

My understanding is that the only place you can partake is if you have a pass for the VIP section.
                                  watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

I first thought J Serra has a better defense and gave them the nod but in rethinking I came up with this.
                                  JS has got injuries to deal with and then I recalled how with no pass attempts MD ran the ball with ease on a what I remember was a 4 play 70ish yard drive to the endzone. I question if they can hold down RSM running game. Then I thought RSM had no defense, so who can score 70 first, I give up and have no favorite.
                                  BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Hey potheadsince68 the name of the school is Santa Margarita Catholic High School(SM) not RSM. Rancho Santa Margarita(RSM) is the name of the city in which the school is located. Should we refer to Mater Dei as SAMD?
                                  MDDad

Post by MDDad »

BuckW wrote:Hey potheadsince68...
                                  (1) Do we really need to make juvenile modifications to posters' names? If so, does the W in your name stand for Wheat?

(2) SM is not the proper acronym for Santa Margarita Catholic High School either, SMCHS is.

(3) While using RSM to refer to the school is technically incorrect, it is a commonly used name, just like Capo Valley, Santa Ana Valley, Orange Lutheran and Gardena Serra. None of those are the actual names of the schools either, but you haven't corrected their use.

(4) Hell, some people here refer to Santa Margarita as Rita. Why don't you correct that silliness first?
                                  BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Well Daddy ball I just assumed that he must have been partaking in the devil's weed to make such ignorant posts. I can't believe that just comes naturally.
                                  Last edited by BuckW on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
                                  watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Thanks MDDad
                                  After OCFootballfan that was almost funny.

BuckW
                                  I could relate to Creeper and Peeper because of Igor however I do not understand the Pothead reference? I also have been known to "adjust" a few poster's names so I guess I am fair game.

I will offer an apology now for the RSM because I will use it in the future because it is just shorter to type and I hate typing.

Lastly although those of us that lived through the sixties not all partook in the" Reefer Madness", you have to be old to remember that, very funny today if you can find it on youtube.
                                  watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Could BuckW and OCFootballfan be one and the same?

PS
                                  I will try to shorten RSM to SM if that makes you happy.
                                  cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Actually SM had to add the catholic to it years back because more than half of the average
                                  HS sports fan (especially out of the area) thought it was a public school, for real...

I'm surprised the Diocese or powers-at-be, named the school after the actual city it's in,
                                  maybe politics at play...
                                  BuckW

Post by BuckW »

The school opened before there was a city. The area was unicorporated when the school opened in 1987.
                                  The-Abbie'normal-1

Post by The-Abbie'normal-1 »

SM BY 21...

QB Norwood has shut down all of the Hater'S on here that said he should change his position before the season began.

They lost by 2 to SJB, and gave MD 35. Can't take that back. :rockon:
                                  SM with the smack down.
                                  Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Everything on the Plano was intended to be named Santa Margarita by the Rancho Mission Viejo (aka "The Ranch"). When the Ranch was designing the land plan in the early 80's the community was intended to be named Santa Margarita and that's why there's Santa Margarita Parkway, Santa Margarita Water District and of course Santa Margarita High School. The Ranch offered 40 acres of land to the Diocese in either 1984 or 1985 and made a commitment to build the first Catholic high school in South Orange County by the fall of 1987. They were granted the right to name it Santa Margarita in honor of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, as an ode to the original ranch name "Rancho Santa Margarita y Las Flores, as well as tribute to Tony Moiso's grandmother Marguerite. St. Margaret's HS in San Juan Capistrano opened in 1982 so it made sense not to name a second nearby private school the exact same name anyway.

But around 1985 or so there suddenly was a naming problem that nobody foresaw. Turns out there is a village north of San Luis Obispo called Santa Margarita and unfortunately for the Ranch it has a post office. The USPO can't have post offices in towns in the same state with the exact same name so the Ranch went up there one day and tried to buy them out. There was a naming contest and "Margaritaville" was a top candidate with the belief the Ranch was going to give them a check too. They had a vote and a slim majority decided they wanted to stay with "Santa Margarita" which meant the Ranch got to keep the check but had to come up with a Plan B. They added the word Ranch in front of it and they had a new piece of trivia - the city with the longest name in America.

The decision to add "Catholic" to the school's name in the 1995-96 school year was indeed done because of new homebuyers inadvertently showing up at the front desk thinking they were enrolling their kid in a public school. The same phenomenon was happening at St. Monica High School in Santa Monica where people somehow thought St. Monica was actually Santa Monica HS so St. Monica officially changed their name to St. Monica Catholic.