SM V J. SERRA - Predictions??

Sweetness34

Re: SM V J. SERRA - Predictions??

Post by Sweetness34 »

BuckW wrote:Yes #3 from Jserra (who is a transfer from SM) was ejected on the last play of game. #3 took a cheap shot on a SM player when SM's QB took a knee to run out the clock. Jserra will miss him next week against Bosco.
Was #3 from JS ejected at the end of the game? If so does he miss the next game?
I don't believe he was ejected, Referee didn't signal ejection, he just walked him off the field to sit out. Usually there is indication of ejection, plus I think Harlow would have went crazy on the sideline if he was ejected, he didn't throw a punch, just a cheap frustration penalty.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

interesting side effect of the SM buses-instead of taking the kids to the game (and watching from the stands)-the parents dropped off the kids at the bus and stayed home-meaning the parent side of the visitor seats was empty while the kids were full....overall crowd was lighter than it should have been.
ancient

Post by ancient »

What the heck are you talking about?
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that JSerra charged SM students to attend the game. Students are supposed to get into all games free with their school ID. Consequently SM provided students with a bus ride and meal for the $5 JSerrra charged SM students for a game ticket.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

The bus had the effect of having parents (who normally would have taken their kids to a game close to their homes) drop the kids at SM and pick them up at SM after the game. Ensured a great student section-but many of the parents who would have went to the game went home or out to dinner instead as a result. Packed student section yes-half-full visitor seating (that would have been full otherwise) the result.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Unlike Bishop Amat, Mater Del and Servite and maybe a couple others the majority of adults who travel to games is limited to the parents, adult siblings, aunts, uncles and grandparents of the players, band members (if the band even travels) or cheer squad, plus some administrators, a handful of alums and the coaches wives.

The idea you put forth - that a parent of a kid not part of the program, cheer squad or band would want to spend a Friday night at a high school football game simply because they dropped them off at the venue - is comical.

At places like Bishop Amat where the cultural ties between the school and community (beyond just the city of La Puente and the local parishes but the entire San gabriel Valley) run deep you see not just adult alumni but parents of non-athletes and regular everyday people from The SGV traveling to road games. At MD you have a huge multigenerational alumni base that can - and will - arrange their schedules around Monarch football and basketball. That type of thought process doesn't exist 99% of schools and certainly not at places like SM or JSerra.

Does a parent of a volleyball player or thespian occasionally attend a HOME football game now and then? Sure, however, in south Orange County getting that parent to travel even 5 more miles to a road game and sacrificing a date night with their spouse is pretty much unheard of. This is Why SM has a large contingent of rooter busses - to get kids of disinterested/ non-vested parents to the games.

South Orange County adults simply have better things to do.
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

The main reason SM had buses take their students to the game was because of the lack of parking at Jserra. What was interesting was a whole section of Jserra's student section was empty. I guess it was not only some SM parents that stayed home to watch the Dodgers in the World Series.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

,,just curious, but one says that SM students were charged to get into the game? I thought the
league had an agreement that honored each other's school and let students in for free if they
had a student ID? JSerra doesn't do that?
ancient

Post by ancient »

Don't know, clarification needed on that. My understanding is that all students are supposed to be admitted free with ID. I assume all schools honor that arrangement. Someone already said SM bussed students because of limited parking. That should have greatly helped with parking and traffic.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

BuckW wrote:The main reason SM had buses take their students to the game was because of the lack of parking at Jserra. What was interesting was a whole section of Jserra's student section was empty. I guess it was not only some SM parents that stayed home to watch the Dodgers in the World Series.
Jserra has only 1300 kids in the whole school. I suspect that 85% of them were at the game.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

BuckW wrote:The main reason SM had buses take their students to the game was because of the lack of parking at Jserra. What was interesting was a whole section of Jserra's student section was empty. I guess it was not only some SM parents that stayed home to watch the Dodgers in the World Series.
Orange County (in particular, south Orange County) roots for the Angels-doesn't it?
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

They might have been rooting against the Dodgers :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Apparently a lot of Jserra students are Dodgers fans because they were not in the student section.