New playoff format idea

Bick

Re: New playoff format idea

Post by Bick »

Neither will the other, so if we're going to dream, why not dream big?

Besides, CIF picks up a good portion of the travel costs for playoffs. My sense is a national HS playoff would generate a lot of sponsor interest / network coverage. This might be more feasible economically than you think.

Travel for 8 teams rd 1
4 for rd 2
2 for rd 3
and 2 for the championship assuming a neutral site.

I'll bet the local NFL teams would kick in to sponsor this as well.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Bick
I don't think an elite 8 playoff is that unthinkable that it could not happen. If sportscasters get behind it and
it gets press you never know.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

PS maybe they will call it "Watcher Elite Eight" since they stole my idea.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

If there were an Elite 8, instead of the current Division 1 16, wouldn't the #8 team be just as pissed as the #16 team is today? If there were only an Elite 4, wouldn't Bob Johnson go postal one game before he retires?
SK80

Post by SK80 »

To a degree but a 1 vs 8 seed and a 2 vs 7 and so on would be way more competitive out of the box than a 1-16. And ya do not give me the MD would crush the 8 and 16 just the same!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Sure the #8 team would be pissed however 9-16 would rejoice to be in another playoff division.
So which is worse? 1 is better than 8 in playoff math.
Too bad we didn't think of this earlier Johnson going postal would have been fun.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

And is it not better to allow the lower 8 teams that you know will not challenge for the crown to have a chance in the next division down. Possibly 4 sacrificial lambs rather than 12.

Seems like you're headed down the "everyone gets a trophy" road.

4 teams is good, but begs the question...would Sponge Bob rather rule in hell or serve in heaven?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Omar Bongo wrote:...would Sponge Bob rather rule in hell or serve in heaven?
His team is the Diablos. What do you think?
BB bos

Post by BB bos »

So LBP BA or even Jserra would dominate D2 what would that prove. The 16 teams in D2 now would be pissed then.
Why is everyone trying to make D1 smaller. Why the struggle to play down just for the sole purpose to claim a lower division trophy.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Do we really want to become like the Northern Section, which has only 41 schools but five playoff divisions? Or like the Oakland Section that has only six schools who all play in one league, but then has a four-team playoff bracket after the end of the regular season?

The logical endpoint for all this is for the Southern Section to have 396 playoff brackets of one school each. Then everybody gets a ring and everybody's happy. Except the CIF, which gets no playoff revenue.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Wow - that's wild. CIF Sections with a single league. Not entirely surprising they're in the bay area. Need a little more bureaucracy up there.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Omar Bongo wrote:
Seems like you're headed down the "everyone gets a trophy" road.
Omar
That argument swayed my vote, you are right 16 it is for me.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Bick wrote:Wow - that's wild. CIF Sections with a single league.
What's even wilder is that, for many decisions, the Oakland Section's vote and the Southern Section's vote carry the same weight.
broman

Post by broman »

I brought this up before and still needs to be addressed

San Diego Section will have six teams that will win CIF titles in divisions with 8 to 12 teams.
83 total schools= 13 schools per divison

Southern Section
396 total schools= 30 schools per division in 16 team brackets
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Broman
What point are you trying to make?
broman

Post by broman »

All CIF winners get into the state playoffs. SS winners could get matched up with San Diego teams that have played one fewer game in weaker brackets.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Broman, while I understand your position, it's far from the biggest injustice. What's infinitely worse is that 52 teams will get into the regional/state playoffs, but the second and third best teams in the state will not be included.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

MDDad
That is something that has bothered me for awhile, I guess we can understand why.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

And a partial solution is so simple. If the CIF-SS were to rename Division 1 as the Open Division, both finalists would be in the state playoffs.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

Not sure it's even a private public thing. What it has become is 3 teams essentialy amassing so much talert they are future college teams. No one else has a chance the best they can do is get to a semi and get harnered by the 1 seed. The trinity privates are all top calaber. Chaminades league is not good they didn't win a playoff game this year. I still think once Logan leaves they will come back to the pack. MV and Poly are headed downward. So like next year assume all the Trinity teams are simular to this year they all will be the best teams in the Div plus Cent10. The bottom line is you need 15 plus D1 players and good coaching to compete. That takes a lot of work and really honestly how many teams can do that. There are so many D1 players in the Trinity it just becomes impossible for any others teams to get to 15