MD by 50 or more
12%
Servite stays home and sends a fruit basket instead
4%

Total votes: 26

Omar Bongo

MD vs. Servite

Post by Omar Bongo »

Believe it or not, the big game is tomorrow...

Inquiring minds want to know, what do you guys think?

Comments welcome!
jb914

Re: MD vs. Servite

Post by jb914 »

MD's offense puts up over 500 yards

MD 56
Servite 14
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

I remember when this game "was" the big game Anaheim Stadium large crowds, shame it has gone away
MD in a tough spot play enough plays to stay sharp yet avoid any goofy injuries.
MD needs to Play hard for the first half get up by 50, and drain the bench for the entire second half, take 3 knees and punt,
templar83

Post by templar83 »

What MD should do is remember the Servite/MD game from 2002. That year Servite was 7 and 0 and was steamrolling toward what everyone thought would be a league and CIF championship. One of the Servite players was quoted before the game as saying something to the effect the question wasn't if Servite would win, only what the margin of their victory would be. MD, against all odds, upset them that night and shattered their season. I think they ( Servite ) went on to lose in the first or second round of the playoffs. Nothing is certain in this rivalry except the intensity of the games...
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

No, something is certain and its that MD is going to win by 50 and will pour it on. MD has a first round bye essentially in the playoffs so its a minimum of 2 more weeks (and perhaps 3) before they may actually have to play 3 difficult quarters. Because of that, they can let the starters stay in and beat up on their rival.

There is zero, and I mean zero, chance that this game is in any way competitive. Servite should play this game with complete reckless abandon however (but they wont because the coach doesn't think out of the box). If you play a typical style game, they lose by 50 guaranteed. If they play incredibly loose and take risk, they could make it fun for a little bit here and there. Here are a few things they can do:

1. Servite should onside kick on every kickoff. They arent stopping MD's offense so may as well just try to deny them possession.
2. Servite needs to go for it on every 4th down (for the reason stated in #1 above).
3. Servite needs to have a couple of trick plays to try to steal easy scores (kickoff reverse...double pass....etc).
4. Never ever kick deep to St. Brown (which if you do 1 and 2 above, will be the case)
5. Pressure the crap out of MD's QB. So what if you give up big plays? Its either put your head in the guillotine or death by a thousand cuts. Who cares?
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

FriarJoe
Servite may get only one kickoff at the beginning of one of the halves, otherwise they would have to score.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

FriarJoe wrote:MD is going to win by 50 and will pour it on.
Not gonna happen.
...they can let the starters stay in and beat up on their rival.
Not gonna happen. Every kid who plays for Mater Dei and Servite deserves the chance to say they played against their rival in a varsity game, and if it's at all possible, that is what Mater Dei will do.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

There is one other possibility to consider. MD and Servite draws from the same talent pool, so MD must score
enough to look dominant to make the choice easier for the next in line group making a high school decision.
The best want to play with a winner.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

I didnt mean the starters play all 4 quarters. I meant they play a little longer than might be necessary to secure the win. Servite will score a couple of times. They will just throw fades to Irvin and he'll manage to beat someone deep on these 50/50 balls. He does it almost every week. They will also have the opportunity to punt many times so they still have a chance to follow Rule #2 as I've stated above.
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

Servite still is considered MD's RIVAL!!! They had a night rally last night!!!
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

This game could actually be closer then people think, Servite has NOTHING to lose!
..if MD takes this game lightly, you never........
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

Servite LOL
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Hmmmmm....., I don't like running with the crowd so I almost went "Fruit Basket"! ROFL
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

longtimeobserver wrote:Servite still is considered MD's RIVAL!!! They had a night rally last night!!!
Longtime
That's an improvement for Servite usually they have those night rallies during the day.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

At times like this, I really miss JMumphrey. I miss his optimism. Borrowing from one of his past posts:
jmumphery wrote: by jmumphery » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:57 am

All real men that I know put their pants on one leg at a time. Each time you step on the field - if you have faith, confidence, prepared, and see the opposition no better than you there is always a chance... If your players buy into everyone comments that they will lose the game before its ever played then they should lose. Not sure of the comment about Servite not having any speed is true... I do not think it has as much to do with the players as the play calling. We have to open up the offense and execute.
...I still like Servite's chances and feel they will get the job done tonight. All be Blessed and safe and regardless of our comments on the board - let's cheer the kids on and wish them the best WIN or LOSE. It is really all about the KIDS at the end of the day and they hopefully learn life lessons regardless of the outcome of the game. I respect everyones comments and their position but I love my Servite and will always look for them to pull out the WIN. Lets play some FB and have fun - its game day!!!!!!!
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Unfortunately, there is only one way Servite wins this game. And that is simply that God wants it to happen that way. I personally don't think God concerns himself with who wins or loses a HS football game. But, if it is in his plan for Servite to win this game, (for whatever reason), then they will. But without divine intervention, MD wins this game bigly.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:I personally don't think God concerns himself with who wins or loses a HS football game.
That's true, but his mother has a vested interest in the outcome.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

MDDad
You got that right.

Furthermore let's not forget that the Servite order was founded to serve Mary the Mother of God. (Mater Dei)
The only reason Servite won those couple years in a row was God was on an extended leave and MD fell to
the dark angel TT.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

FriarJoe
Is this what you had in mind for Servite Friday night, never punting.

A progressive thinker
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

templar83 wrote:One of the Servite players was quoted before the game as saying something to the effect the question wasn't if Servite would win, only what the margin of their victory would be.
And Mater Dei fans have been misquoting him for 15 years.