MD by 50 or more
12%
Servite stays home and sends a fruit basket instead
4%

Total votes: 26

WantTheNFLBack714

Re: MD vs. Servite

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

Why did Scot Prohaska leave Servite? did he have a fallout with the administration or not get along with some of the coaches? or was MD going to offer him more money, MD reached out to him and made him an offer he couldn't refuse?

I would say he is a huge factor for MD's return to dominance.
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

He was pulled in when Rollo blew up the program.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

SERVITE888 wrote:Seriously, where is servite headed ? Are we keeping coach Meyer?
If they're planning on continuing to go in the direction of Mater Dei and Bosco then they have the right man for the job. And he's a pretty damn good coach anyway. If they had half the talent on the lines as the other teams in league they would have been semifinalists this year.
WantTheNFLBack714

Rollo blew up the program after the 2011 season right? when MD missed the playoffs for the first time since 1986? so i'm guessing MD reached out to Scot Prohaska and offered him more money, or a fallout with the Servite administration.
SERVITE888

Post by SERVITE888 »

joefutbol wrote:If they're planning on continuing to go in the direction of Mater Dei and Bosco then they have the right man for the job. And he's a pretty damn good coach anyway. If they had half the talent on the lines as the other teams in league they would have been semifinalists this year.
Thank you joe.we shall see
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

joefutbol wrote: And he's a pretty damn good coach anyway. If they had half the talent on the lines as the other teams in league they would have been semifinalists this year.
A pretty damn good coach?
First year - his team gave up 41.4 pts./game in Trinity League play. C-
Second year - his team gave up 48 pts./game in Trinity League play. D-
Third year - his team gave up 44.8 pts./game in Trinity League play. D
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Like I said, if they had half the talent on the lines...... Kind of hard to stop an offense when your front seven is nonexistent. Servite had the worst QB, RB, O line, and linebackers in the league and still managed to win a league game and nearly knock off the #19 team in the country. The other teams have better players. What do you expect him to do?
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Rollo blew up the program after the 2011 season right? when MD missed the playoffs for the first time since 1986? so i'm guessing MD reached out to Scot Prohaska and offered him more money, or a fallout with the Servite administration.
Mater Dei did not reach out to Scot. He approached Mater Dei twice about the position before he was hired. Troy Thomas knew about the process and gave his approval before any interviews were conducted.
OCLongBall

Post by OCLongBall »

joefutbol wrote:Like I said, if they had half the talent on the lines...... Kind of hard to stop an offense when your front seven is nonexistent. Servite had the worst QB, RB, O line, and linebackers in the league and still managed to win a league game and nearly knock off the #19 team in the country. The other teams have better players. What do you expect him to do?
Not so sure about the worst players in stated positions. Servite had some decent to very good players at the mentioned positions to include a LB with 25 or more D1 offers. QB was also very talented. The issue at Servite continues to be line play related to being undersized on the O and D line. Also, a safety that I think was was new to Servite who came along toward the end of the season.
WantTheNFLBack714

sounds like he wanted to leave Servite for a while before MD hired him.
WantTheNFLBack714

well this has to sting Servite fans a lot, Servite was killed by DLS in the 2010 State Championship game while MD did the same to DLS this year, but one could argue that the 2010 DLS team was much better than the 2017 DLS team, if the MD 2017 team played the 2010 DLS team, the game would be much closer most likely.

But even before this year's 2017 MD team, MD had always had a more decorated football program than Servite's football program, comparing MD's football program's history to Servite's football history is like comparing USC football to UCLA football, who are also huge rivals. But I would say the reason why it probably stings Servite fans a lot, is because when Scot Prohaska and Troy Thomas, Matt Mitchell were at Servite, Servite was never able to be a National Champion like this year's MD team was, and the MD teams of the 90's, and Bosco of 2013. Since the highest Servite has ever been in the National rankings is number 3 in the Nation, the early 80's Servite teams and the 2009 Servite team.

Oh well, maybe someday.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote: comparing MD's football program's history to Servite's football history is like comparing USC football to UCLA football
Since 2012 there's an even better comparison

SERVITE888

Post by SERVITE888 »

Damn Bongo,
That was cold, but you made me laugh, I have to admit..
WantTheNFLBack714

oh well, this recent downfall for Servite is worse than the previous downfall they had, after the 2002 season, which were then Coach Toner's last few seasons as Head Coach.