MD by 50 or more
12%
Servite stays home and sends a fruit basket instead
4%

Total votes: 26

watchersince68

Re: MD vs. Servite

Post by watchersince68 »

I was in the 27% bracket calling the point spread, no basket of fruit here.

After the game we had MD shirts and Servite Friars shirts at the same table should have snapped a picture.

And I believe everyone played.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

What happened to the Asylum last night? They started out loud and entirely disbanded before the half.
I thought "Sloppy seconds" and "JT is ugly" was a little much. After the Amon long TD run JT starred at the
Asylum for maybe 10-15 seconds and it seemed to take the wind out of their sails. I guess getting beat
does quiet up even the diehards.
And I thought Servite produced well educated men "I believe we will win" down 35-7 tells me otherwise.
sgthartman

Post by sgthartman »

The Asylum must get pre-approval from admin do any "cheer" that they wish to use during a game. Kinda takes the ad-lib creativity angle away. So they're left to reusing the same chants over and over until eventually they just lose interest. They got into trouble and shut down after they chose to add an extra word to their own cheerleaders' "Let's Go, Big Black" routine. Or so I'm told. Locker room talk type of stuff.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Interesting thanks, I would think "sloppy seconds" may have added to it.
OCLongBall

Post by OCLongBall »

sgthartman wrote:Servite coaching staff is totally clueless, else why would they use the exact same game plan against MD as they did for every other TL opponent? What is the definition of insanity?
Why does Servite go no-huddle of they don't play hurry up? And why not call more than one play per sideline look? Do they ever vary the snap count? Little things that further enhance the perceived cluelessness of the coaching staff.
Absolutely terrible play calling on offense and defense. Servite has never looked this bad even over the last 6 years. The easy schedule had all of us misled. There are far to many athletes to look this bad. They need to clean house of the freshman and JV coaches. This is preventing Servite from attracting quality athletes. You can't have youth level coaching in the Trinity League. Meyer is being asked to make a miracle happen. Wake up Carter and support this program!
skipp payless

Post by skipp payless »

Full disclosure,i am related to a former Servite player c/o 2017.From what I'm told,this new offensive staff is a JOKE !
The OC is either late or doesn't come on Mondays because of his 9-5,so the offense is forced to sit in with the o line meeting.Servite does not have a QB coach ??? WHAT how can the most important position on the field not have a coach,unless the OC played the position & he didn't...Mike Bass played RB @ Hawaii.This crew are 1st time play callers ! They were on the Cen10 staff,but that's about it.You don't cut your teeth in the Trinity League ! You come here with a resume & experience.Bass was asked why doesn't he make adjustments & use the middle of the field instead of most of the routes being vertical ? he answered " I don't need to adjust,we just need to execute better" that is coach speak 101 for I don't have anything else... :bonk: There is no film session on Saturday,so if there is film its forced to fit in during prep week for the next opponent. Meyer has been exposed as a bad COACH ! He is an overseer,that needs 2 strong coordinators.He is suppose to be a defensive guy,but he lacks the ability to make adjustments as well.Nice guy but if you have ever spoken to him he couldn't inspire my dog to bark Bottom line Servite SAYS that they want to compete at a high level,but its B.S. I'm not saying that you have to go to the lengths that Bosco & MD does to attract & recruit talent, but you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING...Skill guys will be available,but the lack of talent is painfully evident upfront on the offensive & defensive lines.The Servite program needs a culture change, It all starts at the top,if administration isn't on board with scholarship kids or help with tuition reduction.it wont happen. Have you ever been around after a loss its like a friggin photo opp ! you cant tell whether the kids won or lost,meaning its way too many kids who are happy to have a jersey & be on the team.If that's the kind of program that you want,thats great but don't lie about it,there are lower level catholic leagues that the "the gutty little Friars" would thrive in.Rollo,Negro.Fisher.& Harlow are not playing around.Servite needs to step up or step out.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Skipp Payless,

I agree with some of what you say, but not all. I am going to be somewhat non committal until the season is over. I am, however going to post some data, and people can draw their own conclusions.

The following are the Servite stats for Trinity League games only:

2012 Points scored 15.4 and Points allowed 24.8 under Troy Thomas

2013 Points scored 27.0 and Points allowed 30.2 under AJ Gass
2014 Points scored 21.8 and Points allowed 30.8 (the year QB Travis Waller got injured early in 2nd league game)

2015 Points scored 24.4 and Points allowed 41.4 under Scott Meyer
2016 Points scored 25.2 and Points allowed 48.0
2017 Points scored 23.4 and Points allowed 44.8
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Here is the bottom line:

1. Meyer is in over his head. He's no where near the caliber of a coach necessary to be successful in this league. I've witness this both from the inside and as a fan and it's clear as day. He doesn't have what it takes. Time to move on.
2. The administration isn't as "flexible" as the admins at schools like MD and Bosco and never will be when it comes to bringing in talent.
3. The lower level coaching at servite is awful and has been for some time. Losing becomes ingrained at the lower levels and it's just not a big deal to regularly lose to the upper tier teams by 30 and 40 points. You can't build a program on a faulty foundation.
4. Fundraising for athletics needs to be stepped up big time to address the issue of bringing in players. Servite's lines are as soft as tissue paper and there is no way you can win in this league like that.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

@ FJ

If your line items 2, 3, and 4 are accurate and they all appear to be for the most part then your #1 point is moot. No coach in that division with the #1 team in the country will be successful. To win in the Trinity now its all about bringing in talent. Without that at this level you will not coach your way out of the cellar.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

as an uneducated outside observer I'll make the case that the coaching at SM and JSerra is as top-class as that of MD and Bosco. Difference is talent level (some of which can be attributed to location in south OC).

Servite/OLu do seem to have a gap on both coaching and talent.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Talent is most important. Obviously that's the biggest issue but you need a coach who can harness it. Rollo hasn't changed but he's smart enough to have great coordinators, especially the defensive guy he brought back after he left some years ago. The talent is what has MD back on top but with crappy coaching it couldn't be exploited to the fullest. And yes Servite's talent isn't there compared to the big 2 in league, but Meyer is still in over his head. You can see that in preparation and game day game management. He's not an elite coach.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Considering the costs, maybe the powers that be at Servite have decided that making it to the postseason and winning a playoff game or possibly two is a noble enough goal. Nothing wrong with that...they would have plenty of company
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

There was a time I felt that way too. I always said a successful season (during the Angelus years) would be to beat Mater Dei and St. Paul, and get past the first round of the playoffs. Everything else was just gravy, I felt.

Unfortunately, that only happened twice ever ('82 and '84), although in "83 we beat MD and tied St. Paul on our way to our 2nd consecutive CIF Title. Close enough, but even 3 times in 31 years wasn't nearly good enough.

Oops! I forgot '67 when we beat St. Paul and tied MD on our way to the AAAA Semifinals. So make that 4 times in 31 years.
Last edited by Professor Fate on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Interesting...after the 2019 game Servite will have beaten MD 3 times in 31 years... :-k
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

I find it interesting that a losing season for such a proud program brings in chants of:

Fundraising for athletics needs to be stepped up big time to address the issue of bringing in players. Servite's lines are as soft as tissue paper and there is no way you can win in this league like that.

And lynching of the entire coaching staff!

So if Servite attempts to recruit players and pay their educations NOW it's ok? A little hypocritical aren't we?
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Watcher, what would you suggest? That those of us that care about the proud program just let it continue to fall into disarray. The coaching staff has had its chance and it has not delivered. There is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade and hiring someone new that can create a winning program again. I'm not saying Servite needs to do the same over-the-top tactics that Bosco and Mater Dei do, but Servite should at least be able to be a JSerra or a Santa Margarita in terms of bringing in competent coaches that can create a consistent winning culture and compete for third place and make a decent playoff run. Thats a realistic goal. As long as MD and Bosco thirst for nothing but championships with their mercenary transfers as well as highly recruited and paid for incoming frosh classes, no one is going to beat them consistently. I'm not even sure its realistic to aspire to that. I'm also not sure that proud Servite alums would even want to be that. Bosco has been a non-factor for years until they finally hired a good coach who put in process a recruiting and transfer pipeline to bring the school to prominence. I understand why the Bosco admin felt the need to do that - it put them on the map for once. MD, on the other hand, has been prominent and successful for years in football and plenty of other sports. It was Bosco and the football championship drought that caused MD to step up his recruiting and transfer game. Perhaps once MD sends Rollo out with a couple of rings this will satisfy their thirst. Servite has won rings in the recent past so perhaps that made the admin complacent? Who knows? I can tell you this. There is an undercurrent of unhappy alums with the current state of the program. And those people speak with their wallets and that is something the admin should care about.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

FriarJoe
I would tell you alls fair in love and war, go for it make Servite better I miss the rivalry.

Just don't criticize MD for having possibly this years best team and the road that got them there.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Hmm, maybe Servite's situation has to do more with the school's bottom line finances?
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

Friar Joe: You belittle MD for their "mercenary transfers"--yet Servite had more transfers than MD===and WHO
decides a young man is a "mercenary".
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

I find it interesting that a losing season for such a proud program brings in chants of...

Imagine how much louder the chanting would be if that were actually true. This season Servite will finish with a winning record, a top 100 national ranking and has qualified for the playoffs in the toughest division in the country...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump