MD by 50 or more
12%
Servite stays home and sends a fruit basket instead
4%

Total votes: 26

FriarJoe

Re: MD vs. Servite

Post by FriarJoe »

LongtimeObserver, If you don't believe that MD and Bosco are doing far more "player outreach" in the form of recruiting, "scholarships" and transfer inducement than the other Trinity League schools, then you are beyond fixing. Yes we've all heard the MDDad chant of "everyone is doing it but we just do it better", which is total BS. Degree matters. The extent one is willing to bend the rules matters. MD and Bosco are not more competent than the other schools...they are just willing to go further to chase football glory.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

FriarJoe
To quote Reagan "There you go again". You are willing to accept all the evil associated with winning and yet you are still harping on MD and SJB for doing it. What's up? Join the devil or don't. Maybe you ought to watch an old movie
"Damn Yankees" to see if you want to sell your soul.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

I am not willing to accept all the evil with winning? Whatever gave you that impression? I'm more in line with Luca's line of thinking (can't believe I'm writing that) in that high school sports should be about more than creating super teams and chasing rings. But I guess I'm just an old disgruntled fart (much like Luca).
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

FriarJoe
Then what's the answer, you already had a large number of transfers that didn't make the difference needed.
You go all in or go home early. You can't say I wanna be a little better, where would that take you? The only other
answer is to drop down a division and that's unlikely to happen. So come join us in eternal damnation or accept
what you now have. You are already competing in the possibly best HSFB league in the U.S. no shame in finishing 5th or 6th here.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Omar
How about I rephrase it. A losing trinity league season.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I am endlessly fascinated by one thing we are repeatedly told on this forum -- that those who actually are part of a football program have no idea what they're talking about, while those that aren't know exactly what's going on. It's absolutely amazing.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

FriarJoe wrote: The extent one is willing to bend the rules matters. MD and Bosco are not more competent than the other schools...they are just willing to go further to chase football glory.
The admin is not into it for football glory but there is also a bigger factor for the admin then a football ring. That is the MONEY that a winning program will get donated by the alumni and others who just to have their name linked in some fashion to the program.

When Servite was on top for those years not so long ago, there was 4 to 5 thousand fans at the game. not so much now, last year at the MV Servite game that mighty alumni base didnt show up at all. There was maybe a 100 fans on the visitor side where I will take that as the parents and relatives of players, the cheer squad and band members that came. maybe two handful of alumni. All of the donations Servite gets now is not close to what it was.

All the projects that Servite had going on as the money was pouring in while Servite was on top came to a drip in comparison to today. So those projects all got put on hold and or have taken years longer to complete if at all and I am sure they got reduced in size and scope to what they were going to be.

Bosco was a run down school and they have not had this kind of money in decades compared to what they have today. Not all that money went to the football program even though some of it of course filters to them, but to the school as a whole has gotten the lion share of the money. There spirit gear sales to all parts of the country has skyrocketed. Alumni now donating who hardly spent or donated a dime in comparison to the dollars they freely do now.

All the money that benefits the whole school is what they (the admin) are chasing, to improve the whole high school experience for all of its students (not just the football program). Look at how good MD is looking these days and they have not have to upgrade their own stadium but the school has sure gotten better from all of those donations.

I am sure even Servite when they were on top might have over looked some rule here or there. So dont get all in a twist just because someone else is doing it maybe a little better or they are first in taking a path that was blazed by Servite while they were on top but others now are taking it a little further. Other schools see just how much money having a top football program could bring in.
So now looking at what Servite did before and now along comes Bosco followed by MD ( if followed at all I think they saw the writing on the wall about the money long ago)

I think it is how much money and national recognition from TV and just how much media coverage there is now that has its evil fingers in the pot that is why you see this today compared to 20 years ago in the 90's. You would never have seen a high school football game on a screen at a local pub or pizza parlor, but now you can even see a game from across the country.

MDDAD said it correctly that when someone is on top the rest are bitching. So MD and Bosco fund some players from all over So. Cal. Why complain, just where did all those star players that Servite had live when Servite was king of the hill? ( was that corona? )
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

SM (30 years old) is just starting to get 2nd generation students. JSerra is only 14 so donations of the magnitude seen at SJB/MD are a ways off.

Both schools are getting major investments in facilities in the next few years (theatres, upgraded athletic facilities, classrooms, etc). Biggest handicap they both have vs. SJB/MD is location-SM is pretty much a local draw (Ortega highway to the south, 133 to the north, and 5 to the west-JSerra everything west of 5/south of Crown Valley in south OC with west of 73 in Newport Beach starting to impact the school (20% students from Newport). They both bring in kids from north/east. OLu and Servite have better locations, yet don't seem to be performing as well overall.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

OLu and Servite have better locations, yet don't seem to be performing as well overall.

Direct correlation with the rise of SJB
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Just all the talk and smack about all this..... :steam: It is what it is so call it like it is! It's great... MD is Bad A88 so is SJB and the rest of the privates even though some of you call the lower ones Sad A**'d!

I root for our OC Privates and as I have stated admire the talent pool. I watch those whom make the NCAA teams every Saturday. But just for some perspective... once again..... listen to the take by the OC Varsity Guys..... on Privates and the Playoffs.... Are we ready as they do in Water Polo now? The ELITE 8 ?

"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Omar, yes, agree; on a side note I think another significant impact is JSerra on SM, the school is
in a much better location to get to - and another point is, when JSerra was founded, the projected
end enrollment was to be 1500 students, it has taken longer than I think the founders anticipated but
I believe they are at 1300 currently and a steady climb each and every year, they will finally
hit the 1500 mark, I'm thinking in five years or so, at that point they will really be giving SM a run
for their money in most sports.

..and again, people rag on MD'S (and maybe even Bosco's location) but I think frankieboy nailed
it, MD's and Bosco's locations are not in the greatest locations, but both are adjacent (and a short drive in many cases) to many high income areas and parents will send their kids to MD/Bosco for whatever reason(s).
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

MDDad running his usual misdirection. Makes a grandiose statement that doesn't refute anything. Does anyone on these boards think we are going to get an objective take from an insider at the MD program? The rest of these takes are quite interesting although I'm not certain exactly what the correlation is between football success and school donations. I'm quite sure there is some connection but I wonder how much. I'm not going to sit here and debate the merits of how much recruiting and athletic scholarship funding is going on at MD and Bosco. As we saw in the law, res ipsa loquitur- the thing speaks for itself. Look on the field and on the sidelines and in the stands at MD and Bosco and compare that to these schools just a handful of years ago. The demographics could not be any different and that is not happening by accident. So I'm not going to sit here and listen to MDDad deny that a dominant offensive lineman from the San Gabriel valley who had never even heard of the school growing up and whose family could never afford the tuition somehow ends up anchoring MD's line and of course getting a full football scholarship to a D1 school. That is one small example of what is going on at both schools at a rampant pace which is just creating a couple of more Bishop Gorman-like programs out west. It's actually sad that supposedly great institutions have deteriorated to this level in pursuit of winning. Somewhere Luca is shaking his head is dismay at what became of the game he once loved. At least the Loyola Cubs have kept their honor and they could outspend the entire Trinity League with their endowment.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

TEAM LUCA [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Just who is the cute little doggie with the pink ribbon supposed to represent?
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

I am setting up a "Go fund Me" page for MD football any of you want to donate?
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

watchersince68 wrote:Just who is the cute little doggie with the pink ribbon supposed to represent?
Omar......lol...
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Just who is the cute little doggie with the pink ribbon supposed to represent?

"TEAM LUCA", of course...

(P.S. You don't have kids? That's Eeyore)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Omar
Only kid is getting married this weekend, herself a MD graduate. I had to look up Eeyore, did I make an
ass out of myself?

Waiting for the playoff game tonight, hooya.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

cruiser wrote:Omar, yes, agree; on a side note I think another significant impact is JSerra on SM, the school is
in a much better location to get to - and another point is, when JSerra was founded, the projected
end enrollment was to be 1500 students, it has taken longer than I think the founders anticipated but
I believe they are at 1300 currently and a steady climb each and every year, they will finally
hit the 1500 mark, I'm thinking in five years or so, at that point they will really be giving SM a run
for their money in most sports.

..and again, people rag on MD'S (and maybe even Bosco's location) but I think frankieboy nailed
it, MD's and Bosco's locations are not in the greatest locations, but both are adjacent (and a short drive in many cases) to many high income areas and parents will send their kids to MD/Bosco for whatever reason(s).
They already are very competitive with SM on the boys side-football won 2 of last 3 years; basketball split last year and is on an upswing; aquatic programs right there, baseball one of the top programs in the state if not the country. The girls side SM has had a huge advantage but is starting to get cut into (JSerra soccer won state last year, beat SM in volleyball this year for the first time (on senior night no less!), split league with SM in tennis in 2016, aquatics very competitive, basketball has generally had the upper hand over SM over the last 5-7 years). Girls lacrosse (being restarted) and softball (struggling) need work