MD by 50 or more
12%
Servite stays home and sends a fruit basket instead
4%

Total votes: 26

WantTheNFLBack714

Re: MD vs. Servite

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

Servite has sure fallen into mediocrity ever since Troy Thomas left, some argue and say that when he left, that was the downfall of the Servite football program, others have said it happened when De La Salle throttled Servite in the 2010 State Championship game at the Home Depot Center, that's what marked the beginning of the downfall of Servite. What do you think marked the beginning of the downfall of Servite?

Also wondering, in the history of the MD vs Servite rivalry, what is Servite's largest margin of victory over Mater Dei? Because in almost all of MD vs. Servite games during the Rollo era, MD has dominated Servite, beaten them by 25+ or 30+ points at least, even when Servite ended the 20-year streak in 2009, Servite beat Mater Dei 3 years in a row but only like by 1 TD or a little more, never by 2 TD+'s. What is the most points Servite has scored over MD in the history of the rivalry in which Servite won?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

A very weak (athletically) class of 2013,

T Thomas trying to imitate DLS,

T Thomas firing O Coordinator Matt Mitchell.

As to your second question, 44 points is the most the Friars have ever scored against MD. (44-12 in 1986) I believe the biggest margin of victory for the Friars over the Monarchs is 35 points (42-7 in 1982).
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:A very weak (athletically) class of 2013,

T Thomas trying to imitate DLS,

T Thomas firing O Coordinator Matt Mitchell.
I'm sure those were all contributing factors. However, in Troy's own words, the biggest reason was Scot Prohaska leaving Servite for Mater Dei.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Yes, I forgot that one.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

What do you think marked the beginning of the downfall of Servite?

Ending of the streak in 2009...the dog caught the bus and had nothing else to live for
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
WantTheNFLBack714

Not so sure about that, because the year Servite finally ended the Mater Dei streak, they won CIF and State that year, and repeated as CIF Champs in 2010 but lost in the State Finals against De La Salle.

I've heard that Coach Rollinson of Mater Dei, someone told me that Rollo would rather beat Servite than win State. What do you think about that? i'm guessing that was probably a huge factor for Mater Dei's dominance, 20 year streak over Servite to last so long, because even in the years Servite had a very good team, like the 2002 team, Ryan Kalil's Senior year, and the 2005 and 2006 teams that had Galippo and Shoemate, they still couldn't end the Mater Dei streak even though Servite would beat teams that MD lost to, such as Orange Lutheran and Santa Margartia. The MD-Servite game I will forever remember, I still remember that game very vididly, I was at that game, the 2006 game at Angel Stadium, it went into overtime, Servite missed 2 field goals, one of them bounced off the right goal post. Kevin Goessling was the one who missed those field goals, and Ahmed Mokhtar scored the game-winning rushing TD for MD in overtime.

I remember there was criticism towards MD for the post-game celebration, very unsportsmanlike, they spat on the Servite logo on the field, but oh well I guess that's the nature of a rivalry. I like to feel that the intense mental pressure on Servite to end the streak was a huge factor for Servite losing to MD despite the years Servite had a very good team and they still beat teams MD lost to.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

...someone told me that Rollo would rather beat Servite than win State.
Not next week.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

MDDad wrote: I'm sure those were all contributing factors. However, in Troy's own words, the biggest reason was Scot Prohaska leaving Servite for Mater Dei.
A big loss, for sure, but not even close to the biggest.

Matt Mitchell went to El Modena after leaving Servite. He took over as OC for a couple years and took a team averaging fewer than three wins a year over the previous decade and turned out thirteen wins over the next two years. He took over as head coach last year and they went 11-2. This year El Modena is 12-2, just won a CIF title, and they're on their way to the regional bowl game. Outside of USC, UCLA, and the NFL teams, the best offensive coordinator in Southern California is now coaching at El Modena. Something tells me you didn't hear Troy talk about him being a big loss.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

It's been so long did Mater Dei even play Servite this year?
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

You know, I think Matt Mitchell ended up at ELMO because one of Larry Toner's old time assistant's
(can't remember name) ended up at ELMO as the HC when the Servite administration pushed Toner
out. He then became the AD at ELMO and brought in Mitchell (or Mitchell might have been on the
FB staff already) and appointed Mitchell the HC. Servite guys in the know can maybe clear it up
better...
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Ed Drzanek
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Correct, except Mitchell had already been on staff a couple years before the head coach retired early last year. He's also an ElMo grad.
WantTheNFLBack714

I also imagine there was more pressure on Matt Barkley to keep the streak alive compared to when Max Wittek was the QB at MD. Anyway, how was Troy Thomas trying to imitate De La Salle which led to Servites downfall? and MD and Servite have been playing eachother every year since 1961, why did Troy Thomas fire Matt Mitchell?
WantTheNFLBack714

Matt Mitchell is an El Modena grad? Also, in the history of Servite's football program, what is the highest Servite has ever been in the national rankings? have Servite ever been in the Top 10 before? because I don't believe Servite has ever won a National title like MD has done twice, and likely will for the 3rd time this weekend.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

#3 in the nation in 1982 with their only loss being to #1. Bishop Moeller of Cincinnati.

And #3 in the nation in 2009.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

And #8 in 2009.
WantTheNFLBack714

and I believe in total, for Football, Servite has won 5 CIF Section titles and 2 state titles right?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

joefutbol wrote: And #8 in 2009.
Don't you mean 2010? And MaxPreps says it was 7th.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Yeah, 2010. Depends on the poll, but yes, Maxpreps had them 7th.
SERVITE888

Post by SERVITE888 »

Seriously, where is servite headed ? Are we keeping coach Meyer?