D1 Playoff Thread - Predictions

SK80

Re: D1 Playoff Thread - Predictions

Post by SK80 »

Omar Bongo wrote:Not sure why anyone thinks Poly should be favored over JSerra. The Jackrabbits lost Friday to Gardena Serra who's ranked 25th in the state...JSerra is ranked 25th in the nation.
The game is a toss up IMHO. JSerra beat Los Al 32-10 and Poly beat Los Al 28-10. Jserra has a higher Maxprep ranking indeed and plays in a tougher league INDEED! I think some are using the analogy that you bet on the best player on the field, is that Matt Corral?
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Johnny Utah

Post by Johnny Utah »

Mater Dei
Poly
Mission Viejo
Chaminade
Bosco
Rancho Cucamonga
Santa Margarita
Corona Centennial
"Jesus told the story of the Prodigal Son to make a simple point: never mind what you've done, just come home."
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Every time somebody mentions LBP leading up to a bid game they use the words "better talent". And when they lose they use the word "outcoached".

What they neglect to understand is how inconsistent and often times bad the Poly offensive and defensive lines have been going back 10, 15 and 20 years. Even when they had Winston Justice they won because of their glut of five-star skill guys. When they play top OC and LA privates and publics they almost always get exposed because of their line play. Of course, coaching occurs between January and August too so I suppose you could argue that Poly loses these games in March and April because of what the coaches are or aren't doing with their linemen in the offseason.

Find film of MV's win over them in 2004 (I believe), SM in 2011, Mission and Chaminade last year. LBP's lines are typically big but very average up front and you don't have to take my word for it on how best to exploit them. As Bruce Rollinson once said - the way to beat Poly is to run right at them between the tackles.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

SK80 wrote:The game is a toss up IMHO. JSerra beat Los Al 32-10 and Poly beat Los Al 28-10. Jserra has a higher Maxprep ranking indeed and plays in a tougher league INDEED! I think some are using the analogy that you bet on the best player on the field, is that Matt Corral?
if you are looking for the best player on the field it most certainly is not Matt. Yes he has the number one QB rating based on how well he played at a lower level but he has not come close to playing like he deserves that ranking this year against higher caliber teams and some not so high either. He will NOT be the best QB on the field on Friday night either.

You cant blame his dismal performances on his receivers either, as you have the top rated receiver on Poly also. Take away his numbers in the Moore league and he would not even be a all league consideration in any of the leagues in D-1 outside of the Moore and most if not all the of leagues in D 2.

you can see that the Matt has a cannon for an arm and may look great in a passing league but put a little pressure on him or just better defensive players on the other side when the pads are on and he just has not played well or lets say played up to the level he should be and has been out played by other QBs who have not been rated even close to him or even close to being a top QB level. Just a bad year for him with all things considered.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Mr. Grady wrote:Every time somebody mentions LBP leading up to a bid game they use the words "better talent". And when they lose they use the word "outcoached".
Well if you have better talent and you lose the blame almost has to go to being out coached, out motivated, but you wont be saying that the kids who won were more talented because the talent on the losing team is still rated higher.
Mr. Grady wrote:What they neglect to understand is how inconsistent and often times bad the Poly offensive and defensive lines have been going back 10, 15 and 20 years. Even when they had Winston Justice they won because of their glut of five-star skill guys. When they play top OC and LA privates and publics they almost always get exposed because of their line play. Of course, coaching occurs between January and August too so I suppose you could argue that Poly loses these games in March and April because of what the coaches are or aren't doing with their linemen in the offseason.
I think we are back to having better coaches and line programs that have not relied on just being bigger then everyone else. I am not sure that you can put the blame on the current coaching staff for things that happen 5 -10 to 15 years ago when they have only been here now for 4 years. I do understand you are seeing much of the same results in the present coaching staff but I will say in those games that they lost that the coaching was far better at understanding kids at the high school level.
Mr. Grady wrote:Find film of MV's win over them in 2004 (I believe), SM in 2011, Mission and Chaminade last year. LBP's lines are typically big but very average up front and you don't have to take my word for it on how best to exploit them. As Bruce Rollinson once said - the way to beat Poly is to run right at them between the tackles.
yep, if you cant run away from them, then you run right at them. What is funny about what many may says about the speed of Poly, is that they have not out run anyone at the D 1 level lately. Other teams have been quicker to the ball on D and have had just as many weapons with speed on the O side as Poly has shown.

Just a note to RR who may read this, year in and year out you and others from the IE have said repeatedly how the teams in the OC are too slow to keep up with the IE boys, but year in and year out that has not been proven at all when it comes down to playing the game.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

2002tony wrote:Just a note to RR who may read this, year in and year out you and others from the IE have said repeatedly how the teams in the OC are too slow to keep up with the IE boys, but year in and year out that has not been proven at all when it comes down to playing the game.
RR is half right. If high school football were a track meet, "the teams in the OC would almost certainly be too slow to keep up with the IE boys". Fortunately for the balance and interests of the game, there are many other factors that go into determining which team will win, and in many of those area the IE teams are sometimes lacking.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

I understand what you are saying MDD and agree if it were based on a track meet, but he was talking about how fast the game is played in the IE and has often said that the OC teams were too slow. So I wont even give that statement a 1/2 credit. Now I am not saying they are NOT fast, they ARE, but not so fast to the level many in the IE claim to be that the teams here in the OC just cant keep up. It just has not shown to be a correct observation.

I also agree that there are many factors to winning a football game and sometimes speed is one of them, but you have to have a complete package to win most games. Especially at the level of play we are accustom to seeing.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

I have to go back and watch again, but it seemed like at late in the Serra game the Poly offense consisted of Corral rolling out and staring down his favorite receiver (Hall?) every play...cost them a possible winning TD when he didn't even look to another wide open man in the middle of the end zone on the last play.

Another factor to consider is JSerra is used to playing 4 tough quarters and Poly is not, I think that showed against Serra as well. I think the Lions wear them down and win comfortably.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Mater Dei
JSerra
Mission Viejo
Chaminade
Bosco
Rancho Cucamonga
Santa Margarita
Corona Centennial
Playingtime

Post by Playingtime »

All predictions must be in by 5 pm tomorrow.

One change to my original picks;

Poly over J serra
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Mater Dei
JSerra
Servite
Chaminade
Bosco
San Clemente
Santa Margarita
Corona Centennial

Am i the only one here with the guts to pick an upset?
SK80

Post by SK80 »

MD
JS
MV
Cham
SJB
RC
SM
CC
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

FriarJoe wrote:
Am i the only one here with the guts to pick an upset?
FJ I give you credit for going with your heart instead of your head. I’d love to see Servite beat Mission. That would not be a huge upset in my opinion. On the other hand, San Clemente has no chance of beating RC.
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

Mater Dei V Vista Murrieta....MD

LB poly V J Serra...LBP

Mission Viejo V Servite....MV

Chaminade V OLU...Chaminade

Bosco V Amat...Bosoc

R. Cucamonga V San Clemente...RC

Murrieta Valley V Santa Margarita....RSM

Centennial V Serra...Centennial
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

I hope MV lives up to their own hype the next two weeks. Please please please.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Pages of MV hype...
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

FriarJoe wrote: Am i the only one here with the guts to pick an upset?
Maybe if you read the whole thread you would have noticed other guys that have picked upsets. I will say professor has more guts then you with his picks. He is going for a hat trick with OLu. ( picking OLu over Chaminade is a bigger upset then Servite over MV)

There could also be a debate over the Poly JSerra game to which team that wins would be considered a real upset. Just funny to think of Poly as an underdog to a true wild card team. However JSerra is not considered the favorite and many have picked them to win.
And there is watcher who picked San Clemente to win also.
Just to name a few
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

The Old Gym wrote:I hope MV lives up to their own hype the next two weeks. Please please please.
LOL LOL....yep, they are in charge of their own hype...lol..the only hype is in your ignorance and hatred for MV...I wonder how "their hype" in your own words has you picking them to win over Servite? I wonder how they got ranked in the state and in the nation along with everyone else on this board picking them to win if all it was ...just "their own hype". LOL...

I too hope they win the next two games. No one on this board or anyone with any real football knowledge will be picking MV to win in a game with MD. So what if MD wins and even if they win by a lot, MD is the number 1 team in the nation, if they lose it is egg on them not MV..

If they make it to Simi game that is a moral victory in proving they were the 4th best team and not Chaminade. No one is picking them any higher then that.

or is it you just want to watch MV lose a game.....lol...if thats the case....enjoy...MD has so few wins over MV in the years coach Johnson has been at MV compared to how many times MD has lost...about time they won a few.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Well at half time Olu beating Nade, JSerra Poly tied, MV Servite tied, SM And MValley, tied ...new format seems to be working pretty good oh And Amat trailing the Braves by 7....
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Braves now pulling away from Amat 35-21 Braves...