D1 Playoff Thread - Predictions

2002tony

Re: D1 Playoff Thread - Predictions

Post by 2002tony »

Way to go professor. OLu wins!!!!!
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Great game played by both teams. Servite played great ,, missed 42 yard field goal as time expired. MV wins 38-36
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wow! Some great games. Servite 38-36 loses by a field goal. Santa Margarita loses by a field goal with 2 seconds left. O Lu wins by 3 (a field goal?)
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

OLU was up 28-18 at some point. Servite was down by a point with 1:32 left and runs off four or five straight run plays from their own 40 when they don't have a FG kicker?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Good point, Joe. Not as bad as the 2016 O Lu game, but still not good. Also, I was wondering when the FG kicker situation was going to cost us. I guess Cade Fuller attempted the kick.

Meyer's team played a great game, but I don't think it was enough to save his job, but that's not up to me. Finally saw that they put McDuffie, a home run threat a RB, and got good power running from Leuta Ulu.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

J Serra gets beat by 2 TDs, Bosco wins by 2 TDs, and MD game was a snore fest.
sgthartman

Post by sgthartman »

Joe, I know you've watched Servite all year so how do you not recognize that Grisotti has been the placekicker all season. He's not Zeurlein, but has been consistent when given the chance. He has hit 48 yards in practice. He's a great kid, a senior, and has the mindset to succeed in that positon. How does Meyer NOT put him in with a chance to win this game? Fuller was never going to make that kick under those circumstances, and his awful miss only punctuated that. Servite deserved this win. They answered MV's every score, even though they had to deal with an incompetent line judge from the opening series. They added a few new wrinkles (#40 in as a power back; Irvin used as a wideout) To have an equally incompetent HC waste 2 TOs, and use three straight running plays up the middle of the field with over a minute left to play is incomprehensible. Meyer failed miserably in crunch time, and set up a kid (Fuller) for an awful failure. The Friars played well enough to win and are to be congratulated.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

I know Grissoti was the place kicker, but he doesn't have the leg to hit from there. 48 yards in practice is different than 42 yards with the season on the line. Fuller had the distance, but asking either to make that kick isn't right. They played a great game against the #4 team in the state.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Great back and forth battle. Much respect for this Servite team...they have some dudes!
Coach TO

Post by Coach TO »

Omar Bongo wrote: I have to go back and watch again, but it seemed like at late in the Serra game the Poly offense consisted of Corral rolling out and staring down his favorite receiver (Hall?) every play...cost them a possible winning TD when he didn't even look to another wide open man in the middle of the end zone on the last play.

Another factor to consider is JSerra is used to playing 4 tough quarters and Poly is not, I think that showed against Serra as well. I think the Lions wear them down and win comfortably.
Omar...way off the mark! I see folks still trying to figure out Long Beach Poly and predict them. YOU CAN'T!!! Long Beach Poly will always keep you guessing! Keep yo eyes wide open...the show has just begun!
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Would have been sweet if Servite had been able to pull it off, only heard about game, could
Servite had done anything different to get the FG kicker closer to end zone for a doable kick
in a conservative way? - in any case, great job by the Servite players. They almost achieved
a major upset!
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

The frustrating thing is that I've been calling for Servite to put one its big time athletes at RB al season. There has been absolutely no threat there all season and it limited the offense. I specially mentioned McDuffie or even Toler on these boards weeks ago. And yet it takes Meyer all off season and 11 weeks of the football season to figure out that he needs a real threat to run the ball. McDuffie was quick and dangerous back there and really changed the whole complexion of that offense and nearly allowed them to pull out the win. I realize Servite was technically the underdogs but if you look man-for-man, they really have as much if not more talent than MV so it's no surprise that the game was close. Meyer needs to go. He had his chance.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

FriarJoe wrote: by FriarJoe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:13 pm

The frustrating thing is that I've been calling for Servite to put one its big time athletes at RB al season. There has been absolutely no threat there all season and it limited the offense. I specially mentioned McDuffie
As did I back in June:
We have other RBs, but I suspect Malachi will fit in nicely. I still would like to see McDuffie at RB.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

FriarJoe wrote: Meyer needs to go. He had his chance.
Or here's a wild longshot. If you must keep Meyer, how about begging AJ Gass to return as Defensive Coordinator?

The Friars need more than that though. They need to find some D-Linemen and a QB IMHO.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Ya get rid of Meyer...
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:Finally saw that they put McDuffie, a home run threat a RB, and got good power running from Leuta Ulu.
FriarJoe wrote:There has been absolutely no threat there all season and it limited the offense. I specially mentioned McDuffie or even Toler on these boards weeks ago.
Aren't there any Servite kids who can run the ball?
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

No. But are there any Mater Dei kids that can play basketball for the Monarchs?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

OUCH! :mrgreen:
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

FriarJoe wrote:...are there any Mater Dei kids that can play basketball for the Monarchs?
A few. If McKnight's team played Servite using just "Mater Dei kids", do you think it would make a difference?

Ouch.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Touche!