The new game

SK80

Re: The new game

Post by SK80 »

This has simply been the most enlightening and encouraging post I have read in my time on this board. Thank you to most as I too have been losing hope in the honesty, clarity and tradition that is "Friday Night Lights". I am only on page 1 of this thread but just had to type..... :thumbsup:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

2C0B7AD8-BAFE-4EA0-8698-C61914D1544F.jpeg
2C0B7AD8-BAFE-4EA0-8698-C61914D1544F.jpeg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Buck wrote: MD Homers and Bosco fans be like...
Everyone else be like

ShaneFalco

Post by ShaneFalco »

Professor Fate wrote:In fairness to Frankieboy1, and to J Serra, there is a great deal of luck involved in winning a CIF Baseball Championship.
The best team doesn't always win in baseball. While some may see that as a plus, I don't. It's one of the reasons I don't enjoy baseball.
Great point PFate, that's why the NCAA's have 3 game series during the playoffs, anything can happen on the diamond.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

I think the people who are really passionate about getting the game back to the way it was, neighborhood boundaries, unless the kid who actually moves into the community transfers in, not open borders, GIVE their free time to CIF, to monitor and have the checks and balances in order so the OPEN BORDER kids stay put. If you live in Lakewood, stay in Lakewood. By the way, what happened to that program?? CIF doesnt have man power or the money to monitor or look over the case load. They need volunteers, with high character. It will never happen, but .... :mex:
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Everyone was given the chance to be Czar for the day and set a new group of rules where were all of you then?
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

As to Loyola, they've had a unique situation for decades because of their huge endowment which, fortunately for them, heavily subsidizes the tuition for all students not just athletes. It's a function of a school being old enough to have processed 4-5 generations of alums. As a result, Loyola's tuition is artificially low but the "fair" thing about it is that all students benefit.

Gardena Serra has a peculiar relationship with the Diocese of LA which, for some reason, pumps an inordinate amount of cash into their school which in turn uses it for "financial aid" because they aren't spending a penny on that cow pasture they play on. A quote I heard five years ago is "if you can afford $600/month you can afford to have your son play ball at Serra." I'm sure it was even more favorable than that for some kids. I'm sure that today many pay nothing.

MD, SM and JSerra as Diocese of Orange schools probably handle things similarly but obviously MD has a larger pool of cash. I presume they grade the prospects and place them in A, B or C classifications. With an "A" grade player - a so called "game changer" getting a full or near full ride ... at least for that initial year. This applies to all sports not just football. Everyone needs to "apply for financial aid" which is just a pretext to make the process seem legitimate and the award amount is at the discretion of the administration. A very average tennis player might get the same discount as a very average football player - maybe a $2k to $3k discount.

The issue(s) Luca has today are numerous and didn't necessarily exist ten years ago. Parents used to think of using football to get a college scholarship offer now it's shopping their kid for a HS scholarship first then a college ride later. Tuition discounts for the needy were common but full rides weren't. Full rides for the financially well off didn't exist. Today a wealthy person can get their kid in for free if he's a "game changer". Mater Dei has an extraordinarily deep alumni and booster pool with pockets much deeper than Servite and SM and certainly much deeper than JSerra. Ten years ago the thought of subsidizing a kid to travel in from Riverside to South OC was virtually unheard of. Now its common. The association rule that prohibited contact through most of the year has led to club 7 on 7 teams which gets parents and coaches talking to other parents. It used to be a problem getting on TV, being showcased and creating highlight videos. Now it's common and easy leading to more and more exposure and more demand.

This is the reality of today and the MD supporters are benefiting the most compared to their OC brethren and their retort is going to be, "tough luck pal, try fund raising a little more or get out of Division I." Luca's point was that high school football was pretty good 10 years ago without the cash being doled out and consolidation of power you see today. You might have more flash int he game today but is the sport healthier? Maybe, maybe not. Is it more competitive? Well, yes and no. Does the public deserve more transparency on how the privates truly operate? Wow, that depends on who you ask. Should Division I be defined as just the privates and publics who want to go all in and play the recruiting and scholarship game?
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Great post Mr. Grady...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

JSerra is not Diocese of Orange, but owned by a private board. SM/MD are owned by the diocese.
frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 »

Location also matters. JSerra and particularly SM tough places to get to from points north. Bosco / MD right in the middle of the biggest talent pool in the country.
jb914

Post by jb914 »

Mr. Grady wrote:
MD, SM and JSerra as Diocese of Orange schools probably handle things similarly but obviously MD has a larger pool of cash. I presume they grade the prospects and place them in A, B or C classifications. With an "A" grade player - a so called "game changer" getting a full or near full ride ... at least for that initial year. This applies to all sports not just football. Everyone needs to "apply for financial aid" which is just a pretext to make the process seem legitimate and the award amount is at the discretion of the administration. A very average tennis player might get the same discount as a very average football player - maybe a $2k to $3k discount.
As a parent of an MD non-football athlete who's kid is an "A" grade player in their sport (best in the class according to the coach) can you please let me know how I can get this extra $2 -$3K discount? Is there a souper sekrit website or form that I need to fill out?

I was told this same thing by club parents. "IF MD want's your kid, you won't have to pay much if at all....."

Maybe I can ask for a retroactive refund? --:-- :roll:

Maybe I should have had my kid play tennis. ](*,)
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Technically true, but if you go to the Diocese of Orange's website it identifies seven Catholic high schools in the geographic area of the Diocese:

Connelly, Rosary, St.Michael's Prep, Servite, Mater Dei, Santa Margarita and JSerra.
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

Lol @ you people.

Go watch crap football or basketball or whatever if winning and dominating bother you.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

jb814,

I can promise you that if you go to the tennis coach and tell him/her that you need financial aid you will get a financial aid award. it's usually determined in the spring or summer for the following school year. You're either wealthy enough that the mere thought of requesting tuition discounts never crossed your mind or asleep at the wheel. if your player is really an "A" player give it a try. They won't risk losing you to SM. You can thank me later.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Mr. Grady wrote:Technically true, but if you go to the Diocese of Orange's website it identifies seven Catholic high schools in the geographic area of the Diocese:

Connelly, Rosary, St.Michael's Prep, Servite, Mater Dei, Santa Margarita and JSerra.
Yes, all seven schools are physically located in the geographic area of the diocese, but only Mater Dei, Rosary and Santa Margarita are owned and operated by the diocese, and subject to its rules.

Connelly -- Affiliated with Sisters of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus
St. Michael's - Affiliated with Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey
Servite - Affiliated with Order of Friar Servants of Mary

And JSerra is privately owned by its founders and a parent guild.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Too bad Webb pays so much attention to that "academics" nonsense. They could have a heck of a program without the "parochial" or geographic restrictions.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
jb914

Post by jb914 »

Mr. Grady wrote:jb814,

I can promise you that if you go to the tennis coach and tell him/her that you need financial aid you will get a financial aid award. it's usually determined in the spring or summer for the following school year. You're either wealthy enough that the mere thought of requesting tuition discounts never crossed your mind or asleep at the wheel. if your player is really an "A" player give it a try. They won't risk losing you to SM. You can thank me later.
If you need financial aid i'm sure MD, or any Catholic HS in the Southland, will provide for your need, based on the financial aid application. That's a lot different than giving a family financial aid because they want financial aid.
BigBosco

Post by BigBosco »

Mr. Grady wrote:As to Loyola, they've had a unique situation for decades because of their huge endowment which, fortunately for them, heavily subsidizes the tuition for all students not just athletes. It's a function of a school being old enough to have processed 4-5 generations of alums. As a result, Loyola's tuition is artificially low but the "fair" thing about it is that all students benefit.

Gardena Serra has a peculiar relationship with the Diocese of LA which, for some reason, pumps an inordinate amount of cash into their school which in turn uses it for "financial aid" because they aren't spending a penny on that cow pasture they play on. A quote I heard five years ago is "if you can afford $600/month you can afford to have your son play ball at Serra." I'm sure it was even more favorable than that for some kids. I'm sure that today many pay nothing.

The issue(s) Luca has today are numerous and didn't necessarily exist ten years ago. Parents used to think of using football to get a college scholarship offer now it's shopping their kid for a HS scholarship first then a college ride later. Tuition discounts for the needy were common but full rides weren't. Full rides for the financially well off didn't exist. Today a wealthy person can get their kid in for free if he's a "game changer". Mater Dei has an extraordinarily deep alumni and booster pool with pockets much deeper than Servite and SM and certainly much deeper than JSerra. Ten years ago the thought of subsidizing a kid to travel in from Riverside to South OC was virtually unheard of. Now its common. The association rule that prohibited contact through most of the year has led to club 7 on 7 teams which gets parents and coaches talking to other parents. It used to be a problem getting on TV, being showcased and creating highlight videos. Now it's common and easy leading to more and more exposure and more demand.

This is the reality of today and the MD supporters are benefiting the most compared to their OC brethren and their retort is going to be, "tough luck pal, try fund raising a little more or get out of Division I." Luca's point was that high school football was pretty good 10 years ago without the cash being doled out and consolidation of power you see today. You might have more flash int he game today but is the sport healthier? Maybe, maybe not. Is it more competitive? Well, yes and no. Does the public deserve more transparency on how the privates truly operate? Wow, that depends on who you ask. Should Division I be defined as just the privates and publics who want to go all in and play the recruiting and scholarship game?

I don't doubt there are players who received financial aid. All students are eligible for financial aid based upon need. My Son played football at SJB and we did not receive financial aid. We didn't not ask for it however and would not have been eligible under the need based rules.

Here's where I struggle a bit with the theories being put forth around free rides being dolled out regardless of need. Where's the evidence? After all this time, you'd think there'd be parents who would have made this public knowledge. There are always disgruntled parents after all. it defies logic to me. Humans are terrible secret keepers.

I've never seen a post or news article with ANY evidence.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Maybe they signed a non-disclosure agreement. --:--
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

BigBosco wrote:Here's where I struggle a bit with the theories being put forth around free rides being dolled out regardless of need. Where's the evidence?
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Honest to God, the sheer volume of supposition, innuendo, rumors, sour grapes, wishful thinking, fabrications and outright fallacies that are posted on this forum every day as though they were actual facts is mind-boggling. Is there not one poster here who actually knows how the finances at a private school and its sports programs actually work?