Playthegame

Re: The new game

Post by Playthegame »

No, not one...
jb914

Post by jb914 »

BigBosco wrote:
Here's where I struggle a bit with the theories being put forth around free rides being dolled out regardless of need. Where's the evidence?
MDDad wrote:That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Honest to God, the sheer volume of supposition, innuendo, rumors, sour grapes, wishful thinking, fabrications and outright fallacies that are posted on this forum every day as though they were actual facts is mind-boggling. Is there not one poster here who actually knows how the finances at a private school and its sports programs actually work?
I don't as I write checks every month for tuition. I should have made my kid play football, basketball or tennis and I would be paying a lot less money. :roll:
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Ever notice the rumors of free rides always emanate from people outside the program...I have yet to hear or see real evidence of this sort of activity...BTW I’ve been associated and or followed Mater Dei Football since 1987...THIRTY YEARS :shock:
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

MDDad wrote: Is there not one poster here who actually knows how the finances at a private school and its sports programs actually work?
The loud posters don’t. The quiet ones do.

All the noise is jealousy, driven by a venom. Mater Dei has been, is and always will be despised by the envious win, lose or draw.

No matter what they do, where they do it, how they do it, when they do it or who does it, someone will always bitch about it.

Complete no win situation if you pay attention to or care about critics. When you don’t and just focus on what Mater Dei does, all is good and you learn to not give a ****. And win.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

For all the teeth-gnashers, this Saturday there are only two possible outcomes: either Mater Dei is good at cheating, or they suck at it
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Back door deals?? :lol:
The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym »

Omar Bongo wrote:For all the teeth-gnashers, this Saturday there are only two possible outcomes: either Mater Dei is good at cheating, or they suck at it
Exactly.

Winning when you’re expected to win is the hardest accomplishment in sports.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

@TOG

:thumbsup: Play to win not to lose.......
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

The Old Gym wrote: No matter what they do, where they do it, how they do it, when they do it or who does it, someone will always bitch about it.
TOG...MD fans bitch a lot too...it is not a unique dis ease...so filter a bit...that said everyone hates on the program that dominates and elevates the underdog until the resistance is put down...then it is just hate...

Going to be a great game...Monarchs should reign come Sunday Morning...

Two game rule in effect though...too close to call just enjoy...but would sure be nice heading into next year to have CJ installed who could have the number of the stripes...86753...O...Nieeyine

Merry Christmas everyone!
ventura

Post by ventura »

Mater Dei by 20

No brainer
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

The only people predicting a Mater Dei blowout are 15-year-old girls and people who wants to create expectations so ridiculously high that anything less is a failure...

"If you can't avoid defeat, at least make sure the victor doesn't enjoy it"

Sun Tzu
ventura

Post by ventura »

"The only people predicting a Mater Dei blowout are 15-year-old girls and people who wants to create expectations so ridiculously high that anything less is a failure..."

What a stupid comment, Omar.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

I think an apropos quote at this time would be for MD considering last years D1 Championship defeat......

"I love to win; but I love to lose almost as much. I love the thrill of victory, and I also love the challenge of defeat." ~ Lou Gehrig

From last years defeat MD should take challenge. I think they have played with purpose all season showing this..... as a competitor I prefer the position of SJB the underdog or #2. The pressure is for me always on #1. Losing when expected plays on the mind, playing on the mind before your performance is hard to deal with, it may be mythical but psychological.

Two SUPER teams have been assembled for this one purpose, this game. For this it has caught my attention and interest and finally I can watch these two teams with excitement. This game is even, this game is fair. Good Luck to all the athletes... :thumbsup:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:What a stupid comment, Omar.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I read "Mater Dei by 20 No brainer" :-"
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

as a competitor I prefer the position of SJB the underdog or #2. The pressure is for me always on #1.

Concur

It's hard to beat a great team twice in a year...the parallels to last year are uncanny
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Or once...If MD is in your division...may seem like a parallel but totally different circs this time around, way different challenges for Bosco this year and will be up hill battle for the Braves...MD may be even better than the scores indicate...Just unstoppable...No one will stop JT and The Mercs....sorry guys...that just rings...
paperRANCHObag_Grad

Post by paperRANCHObag_Grad »

Omar Bongo wrote:For all the teeth-gnashers, this Saturday there are only two possible outcomes: either Mater Dei is good at cheating, or they suck at it
Orrrrr....SJB is better at it?
Buck

Post by Buck »

Leave Bungo Hole and his MD Homer buddies alone, and let them enjoy the game. They are trying to convince themselves and anyone who will listen that this team led by JT and Mercs is as special as the team's captain'd by Knuff, Mitchell, Grootegood etc.
It's not MD's fault they are simply trying to match the inventors of "Mercenary Ball" the Bellfower Greater of Long Beach Braves.
As for the game I'll take the RS JR QB over the first year soph QB by 28. Bellflower ran it down their throats last yr so MD reloaded in free agency and picked up 5 star recruits from Utah and Claremont..... Not to mention SR xfer from Riverside King...... And yes these good Cathoic boys are all paying the 15k in tuition.... There is nothing to see here .......enjoy the game
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Ha, with a name like yours you should be more careful about making fun of others... :lol:

MD might considered a slight favorite tonight but if Bosco prevails it won't be an upset. Two great teams and coaching staffs...hope the refs let them play and let the chips fall where they may.

Win or lose tonight it's great to be in the mix, and next year looks bright as well...and in a few years when times aren't as good you can be sure I won't be here basting in my own bile and making the posts like the one above over and over again ... :thumbsup:
George Will

Donald Trump
HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove »

It's ironic that we MD fans all love Luca!

I understand Luca's feelings, and think they could be credibly applied to US culture in general. However, after not winning a championship for so long, I think anyone can appreciate our excitement at MD.

High School football has undergone paradigm shifts in the past, as when, in the early 90's, Bruce Rollinson and Bob Ladouceur introduced college quality programs. I had not been to a high school football game since 1968, and when I went to my first Mater Dei game, I was astonished at how good the kids were.

What astounds me today is how many excellent athletes there are now in high school football. Where did they all come from? Advances in training and nutrition surely have played a part. Today, someone told me that tuition at USC is $70,000 per year! A fee of $280,000 to attend four years of college, may also be a driving factor. A scholarship for that amount must be a strong motivator.

One question I ask myself is what would lower level games be like if the talent was spread out over all the teams at all the levels? Would it be enjoyable to see, say, Amon Ra play for a team any lower than division II? I think not. So maybe it's best, since there are so many great athletes now, that we have things as they are.

As obnoxious and hypocritical as a recently retired coach's comments were after a loss to MD recently, he surely has a point that his team may have been placed in a division that is too high for its talent level. In his case, however, given his past behavior, one might be forgiven for wondering if his opinion would not be different if he had just beaten Mater Dei. I guess he may be charitably thought of as a latter day moralist. There's nothing like a convert when it comes to enthusiasm!

I watched some Div II games on TV this year, and they were very good, but lower than that does not interest me much. I don't have a son, and I don't watch much college or NFL football, so So Cal D1 football is great for me. I recognize that I'm an odd bird in that regard.

As a fan, I'd like to say that Luca has long represented a bright spot for me. I will remember every comment he has made with affection and standing up on that hill watching games with him will be a treasured memory. Whether his team won or mine, it was always a great pleasure spending time with him.