What is it about Mater Dei?

HonorGloryLove

What is it about Mater Dei?

Post by HonorGloryLove » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Am I incorrect in thinking that a really good Mater Dei team bothers a lot of folks who aren't bothered by a very good Bosco team?

And isn't it true that a very good Corona Centennial team or a very good Long Beach Poly team does not bother them at all?

I don't see anyone calling the kids on these teams “thugs.” Does Mater Dei have a corner on the teenage thug market?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Long Beach Poly a magnet school that accepts kids from all over Southern California? Isn't the student body of Poly over 6000 students?

I see a lot of harping about “recruiting,” but I don't see any definition of what recruiting is. What is it? Isn't it too convenient to bandy a term about that none of us can even define for the purpose of denigrating something we could and should celebrate? These are kids playing a team sport so well it's astounding to watch!

And how did Mater Dei suddenly get so good at this nebulous recruiting category? And why have Mater Dei's recruiting efforts failed to produce teams as talented as this year's team in past years?

Personally, I don't think a high school needs to do much else to attract talented kids if it offers a great program with great tradition and great coaching. Bosco is doing just that. So are Corona Centennial and De La Salle. What talented kid would not want to play for one of these schools?

Like these schools, and others as well, Mater Dei has a fantastic coaching staff. Think of the combined experience of Bruce Rollinson, Dave Money, and Eric Johnson! How much better than that could it be? And then there's the unfair advantage of having MD Dad in the program (well, that goes without sayin')!

I once asked Steve Fryer about the advantages of private schools over public schools, and he said that, yes, private schools can accept kids from anywhere, but the coaches still have to do the work, regardless of the talent level of the kids. And a given private school does have competition from other private schools. The same kid could conceivably attend Servite or Bosco or SMCHS or J Serra or OL.

And I expect Poly to be a dominant team again soon. The bar has been raised (again), and they'll catch up. There's no reason Poly shouldn't be able to compete with the best private schools as they have in the past. I have great respect for that school—and anyone who thinks Poly does not offer an excellent education would be surprised if they knew the truth.

To me, having been around the MD program for a while, producing a team like this year's team takes so much work, that I don't imagine many people—in any walk of life—would want to work as hard as MD's coaching staff works. I've seen it up close, and these guys put in so much time that if you divided their salaries by the hours they work, they'd be making minimum wage.

How does a team lose its star linebacker for a game like the Bosco game and look like it has not lost a beat? The answer is they have the backup ready to go, ready to perform in a D1 championship game, and that takes a lot of work. So folks, give my team some credit.

Lastly, please give the kids the credit they deserve. This is a group of kids who learned to love and trust each other to an extraordinary degree. Sure, they're talented, but look at how well they play together! None of us should miss the lesson in that. In a cynical world, the 2017 Monarchs have showed us all something special. All of us should recognize that and applaud it.

Professor Fate

Re: What is it about Mater Dei?

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm

:puke: :puke: :puke: Not convinced at all by your ramblings. While it's true that now everyone has to recruit to try to keep up, it's MD that started it all with their basketball team, and opened the floodgates for football with their lawsuit.

And I still marvel at the fact that, while all schools get transfers, somehow, (just by coincidence I'm sure :roll: ), Mater Dei's transfers always happen to play the positions that the Monarchs were in need of.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Md is one of the most hated schools for sure. Second to none and not just over here in friar land.
It was md’s year. Last year they were 13-0 and got completely out coached by bosco. This year they return the entire offense, add a te and run game along with key transfers for the front 7 defenders and win the championship they have not tasted in nearly 20 years.
Hands down best team this year. But very few people will give you guys the credit you deserve. This championship “by us onlookers” feels bought. No doubt money and EJ are great coaches but if your looking for congratulations from anybody outside the md community your not going to get it.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Welcome back, HGL, if even for only a couple posts. Yes, I agree that "recruit" is a nebulous term, however so is "talented". In the past few days, several posters have said they believe this Mater Dei team is the most talented high school team they've ever seen. I have to believe those posters are either quite young, or they have short memories.

The 2001 Long Beach Poly team that lost to De La Salle had Darnell Bing, Rory Carrington, Chris Davis, Hershel Dennis, Winston Justice, Marcedes Lewis, Kevin Tapp, Pago Togafau, Manuel Wright, Kevin Brown, Leon Jackson, Junior Lemauu, Charles Owens, Freddie Parish, Hercules Satele, Josh Tauanuu, Mark Washington, Alex Watson, Randy Estes, Marcis Fennell, Julian Hawkins, Derrick Jones, Marlin Simmons, Jonathan Tuua, Rodney Van, Byron Velega, William Alo and Jason Brown on the roster. I'm not sure this year's Mater Dei and Bosco teams combined had that much pure talent.

Furthermore, it's interesting to note that Mater Dei had 14 kids Saturday night with "star" ratings from Rivals, Scout or 247Sports. Bosco had 20. Mater Dei had 20 kids with scholarship offers, Bosco had 28. That means if every offensive and defensive starter on the Bosco team had scholarship offers, there were still six guys on the bench who did as well. Not only is this Mater Dei team not as talented as some of those Poly teams from 15 years ago, they may not even have been the most talented team on the field Saturday night.

HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I always gave TT credit in Servite's (recent) great years. It killed me that the Friars were so good, but that does not reduce the accomplishment at all. CredoFriar, I could have looked at things in those days the same way you are looking at MD now, but it's not necessary to do that. It came and went at Servite, and I'm sure it will come again.

Maybe it feels bought to you, and I'm not looking for congratulations at all. I'm just noting that the anti-MD attitude might be a bit hypocritical, as MD Dad's post points out.

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm

MD had more talent anybody can see that. Why don't you do a project a match up at Cal preps and report back with the results of a MD 2017 vs 2001 LB Poly match up and try to spin that Poly had more talent.

HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Did you read MD Dad's post?

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

“Bought” championship is not a term just used here on la Palma.

Nobody thinks bosco has more talent than this md team. Yes 2001 poly was a special team but not like this md team.
Md dad can spin it anyway he wants. Nobody is buying that :giggle:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Why don't you do a project a match up at Cal preps and report back with the results of a MD 2017 vs 2001 LB Poly match up and try to spin that Poly had more talent

The computer uses stats to predict a final score, it has nothing to do with who has "the most talent"...how do you enter "talent" into a computer?

Poly is famous for underachieving with the most talent. Coaching, fundamentals, discipline and smarts trump raw talent...we saw that on Saturday
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Professor Fate wrote:
And I still marvel at the fact that, while all schools get transfers, somehow, (just by coincidence I'm sure :roll: ), Mater Dei's transfers always happen to play the positions that the Monarchs were in need of.
It's not like Poly happened to get a QB transfer this past season that they needed, huh? Oh, wait....

Or what about the Diablos the past two seasons getting McDonald and Yellen transferring? Wow, what a coincidence? uhhh......

the higher level transfers always involving kids that are needed for the position they play, no matter what school they are transferring too.

Why would they want to go play at Mater Dei? Because it's freaking MATER DEI. If they lived in South Florida they would look at St Thomas Aquinas. Bergen Catholic if you are in NY/NJ area. Ohio? St Xavier Back Ohio and in the 80's Cincinnati Bishop Moeller was the big name school.

Did you watch JT's interview after the game? Nikko, CJ, Amon-Ra, et-al were all kids that have played together prior to MD. Didn't you want to go to school with your friends for high school and play the same sports? I know I did when I was a kid.

The entire MD offensive line has played together since freshman year.

But, I know let's not let the facts get in the way of a good internet forum flame fest.

So, yea kids transfer. they want to go to the school where they can play early and often. This applies to all sports, not just football.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST Did you have any problems with the direction of Servite football a few years ago when the IE pipeline helped you end the streak and win state?
This is from another thread, but since I totally forgot about this post, until it was brought up again recently, I figured I'd pre-empt your bringing it up here. :mrgreen:

I'd like to know, which players on the teams that broke the streak and won state (2009)?

The "IE pipeline" was widely attributed to Servite grad Frank Kalil '77, coaching youth football in the IE. The main players involved were Kalil's two sons (imagine that sons going to the same high school their father starred at), and their friends Chris Galippo, and DJ Shoemate. Galippo graduated after the 2006 season, the Kalil brothers after the '02, and '07 seasons, and Shoemate after the '07 season.

Your timeline is a bit off.

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Why don't you do a project a match up at Cal preps and report back with the results of a MD 2017 vs 2001 LB Poly match up and try to spin that Poly had more talent

The computer uses stats to predict a final score, it has nothing to do with who has "the most talent"...how do you enter "talent" into a computer?

Poly is famous for underachieving with the most talent. Coaching, fundamentals, discipline and smarts trump raw talent...we saw that on Saturday
If we’re talking “talent” then yes those poly teams had more pure talent. This md team was a better team and would beat that 2001 poly team.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm

jb814 wrote:QR_BBPOST It's not like Poly happened to get a QB transfer this past season that they needed, huh? Oh, wait....

Or what about the Diablos the past two seasons getting McDonald and Yellen transferring? Wow, what a coincidence? uhhh......
Typical fallback for MD fans. "Oh everybody else is doing it." And your argument would hold more water if MD hadn't been one of the schools that started all the anything goes recruiting of other schools' players.

Amon Ra played at Servite. Transferred for reasons other than what you said.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 pm

FBOC wrote:Why don't you do a project a match up at Cal preps and report back with the results of a MD 2017 vs 2001 LB Poly match up and try to spin that Poly had more talent.
Calpreps' "project a match-up" is simply mathematical masturbation that does nothing more than compare power ratings. It really indicates very little, and proves even less.

One of the anomalies of the Freeman rating system is that the power ratings of the top teams increase almost every year. That 2001 Poly team was one of the great teams in Southern California history, but they had a power rating of 45.2. That would place them 30th in this year's rankings, with the likes of Downey and Bishop Diego. If you think that make sense, I have nothing more to say.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Typical fallback for MD fans. "Oh everybody else is doing it." And your argument would hold more water if MD hadn't been one of the schools that started all the anything goes recruiting of other schools' players.

Amon Ra played at Servite. Transferred for reasons other than what you said.
I am not saying "everyone else is doing it"

You said it was a "coincidence" that MD got transfers at positions where they needed them.

I said every other school in the freaking SoCal section got transfers at positions where they needed them, Professor.

As for Amon-Ra. yea he transferred from Servite. His brother too.

I mean, who wouldn't transfer if they had the chance to Play for Mater Dei --:-- and play with JT again? --:--

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

1. Yes you did.

2. No I said "coincidence :roll: "

3. No, they didn't.

4. Yes.

5. The several thousand players who didn't.

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm

JB814 you have to understand that Professor Fate HATES MD---he is not going to say anthing positive about MD
or congratulate MD He was rooting for Bosco!!! He was rooting for Mission Viejo---he roots for anyone who is
playing MD. Nothing positive you say about MD is going to be accepted by him. It is useless to exchange posts
with him because of that attitude.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 pm

JB814 you have to understand that Professor Fate HATES MD---he is not going to say anthing positive about MD
I'll pray for him

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Professor Fate wrote:1. Yes you did.

2. No I said "coincidence :roll: "

3. No, they didn't.

4. Yes.

5. The several thousand players who didn't.
Jesus loves you, Professor. I'll pray for you at the grotto.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Hey Prof. speaking of streaks don't forget to root for De La Salle in the bowl game...we're 14-0 so far thanks to your amazing negative juju powers