What is it about Mater Dei?

Professor Fate

Re: What is it about Mater Dei?

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I actually have to give MD a break on this one. It's only mid-August, and while I certainly had it (the Hut Drill) down pat by this time, I had the advantage of watching it for a few years before I had to do it.

Certainly, transfers from far away haven't seen it as much, and the sheer numbers Mater Dei has brought in, has to make their pride drill look even worse at this stage.

That said, I did see a video of the hut drill done this summer, and with regard to one particular transfer that the camera captured, all I can say to him is, "Needs work son, needs a lot of work." :lol:
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Domingo

Post by Domingo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:It's called the Hut Drill and, excited or not, I can guarantee that every Servite player--D1 or benchwarmer-- will give 100% effort or they will absolutely hear it from their coaches, teammates, and their teachers as well.

See you September 28.
Of course, what was I thinking. Your senior transfer cares so much more about the Friar pride drill than Mater Dei's senior transfers care about the Monarch pride drill. You're right, I stand corrected. :roll:

BBB

Post by BBB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 am

TheFan wrote:Mr. Annoying, aka Tony...for a guy that is tired of a topic, you decided to say it in 100 words. LOL...just skip it over the post...notice I never respond to what you say because I don't give sh....
Sweetness, next to CTE and school districts not funding HS sports, I think MD and SJB have done great damage to the game I love, ..the MD lawsuit was a game changer, so deal with it.

So instead of responding just skip the topic, that is what I do.
Amen TheFan! 2002tony’s post seems to miss the fact this is a message board.

While I get some might be sick of the criticism (especially if you’re a sanctimonious honk), what he fails to see is how so many are sick of the over the top, holier than thou, lame arse positive schtick as well as the unrelenting hyena tactics launched on anyone and everyone who disagrees with any of it even in the slightest.

In terms of your post, I’m educated enough to understand what you meant with every single one of your points without having to write an essay parsing your every word. And your points are consistent with my observations and interactions with MD families (including the elite prep school kids as well as the traditional ones).

I’m starting to thing this 2002tiny is a burner account for a MD honk.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 am

BBB wrote:QR_BBPOST While I get some might be sick of the criticism (especially if you’re a sanctimonious honk), what he fails to see is how so many are sick of the over the top, holier than thou, lame arse positive schtick as well as the unrelenting hyena tactics launched on anyone and everyone who disagrees with any of it even in the slightest.

In terms of your post, I’m educated enough to understand what you meant with every single one of your points without having to write an essay parsing your every word. And your points are consistent with my observations and interactions with MD families (including the elite prep school kids as well as the traditional ones).

I’m starting to thing this 2002tiny is a burner account for a MD honk.
Tony is definitely not a MD honk, and clearly neither am I. But like him, I've been around long enough to get tired of the constant attacks on MD. Seems like it's gone well past objective criticism. You could probably call it MD Derangement Syndrome and not be too far off.

I get it, the in your face message board stuff has a certain ether effect that can be appealing. I also get the mechanism behind the desire to knock the king of the hill down.

BBB

Post by BBB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am

MD is king of the hill certainly, and I have no desire to knock them off (better them than Bosco, Cen10 or Poly given my support for OC football), but I can do without the sanctimony, hypocrisy, arrogance, and the group attacks the MD honks routinely engage in on this board. But that’s just me.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 am

I'll have to claim ignorance on their sanctimony. Either I haven't seen much of it, or haven't paid much attention to it. Truth is, I usually spend time away from the Trinity league stuff, and stick to Empire and now Sunset league / D2 happenings.

LOL...what the hell am I doing over here? Early stages of Alzheimer's when you don't know how you got somewhere. Either that or I was drunk.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am

Bick, if you can't remember if you were drunk or not, it's probably Alzheimer's.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 am

@Bick and if you do on occasion go all out drunk you know where to find me..... :cheers:
Blackies.jpg
Blackies.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 699 times

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:41 am

You guys are like my wife, know what I am thinking....

I think the MD suit is the most significant event in the history of HS Sports, changed the CIF's world, and was very bad for HS Sports. The second worse decision was allow club coaches to coach in high school sports. Its a conflict, HB school district has caught on and now charge these clubs full boat to use the school's resources. Coaches were running businesses using tax payer assets for low or no cost. I have seen kids punished by the lack of playing time for not joining that coaches club. Unless you are a D1 stud, you know the coach will play his club players. Its BS...

MD brings this onto themselves, what did they have in terms of 2017/18 transfer into their athletic programs ? I think it was 170 last year.

Clearly MD opened this recruiting door for one reason. It was money, and most of the time their is nothing wrong with it. However in MD's case, their president is currently for this process and by winning it allows him to raise more and more money. As one old timer very close to MD said it "pours in, money likes the wins". So the ends justify the means. A bunch of mostly old white guys for reasons of hobby or money bring in a bunch of minority kids for the purpose of winning and keeping their empire alive and well.

BBB

Post by BBB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:16 pm

This is where I digress Fan. I’ve yet to see a significant problem with the approach many schools take (MD just does it better right now) with recruiting in general. That’s bringing in the top 8th graders as well as the elite transfers (neither of which MD was first to do with football).

In fact, outside of your desire for some nostalgic notion of HS football, you actually made no arguments against the new approach while simultaneously describing one of the key arguments why it makes such sense (more money).

The pros outweigh the cons. With that said, the system should evolve with the changing times. Why put an artificial, bureaucratic constraint on players just to protect the weak from making the improvements they need to make in order to be more competitive?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 pm

@BBB we have :dead horse: to death, there are pros and cons to almost every debated issue and the lists of reason, support/against have filled way too many a thread here. I have my position but I have chosen to give it a rest. You are correct it is the "new era" (what many now deem it) of doing things in high school sport.

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 pm

TheFan wrote:Mr. Annoying, aka Tony...for a guy that is tired of a topic, you decided to say it in 100 words. LOL...just skip it over the post...notice I never respond to what you say because I don't give sh....
You are write, I did take the time to use 100 words on that post, but at least it was my only post about it rather then the 100 words you wrote for the ...how many times now...and that was my point. You have a wealth of knowledge and insight on many topics that deal with HS sports as I said but there just seems to be this topic you cant get out of your system. You had started a new thread but it was the same ol thing, and I thought it would be different. That is why John pinned that thread to this one and what sparked my post. I wanted to read something different then just the same picking on MD (if it was 100% true or not)

Professor - The same goes for you, I have enjoyed the many view and topics you have brought to this board and the others. To me, It is just lately it just keeps revolving around "everything that is wrong with MD" and I would like to read the other points of view "more" as you have in the past. Yes you had your disagreements with the MD world lets say but not as much continually.

BBB - I have not missed the point that is is a message board, that is why I posted to it. I also posted that I was just tired of the same types posting over and over again.

Also -
BBB wrote:QR_BBPOST While I get some might be sick of the criticism (especially if you’re a sanctimonious honk), what he fails to see is how so many are sick of the over the top, holier than thou, lame arse positive schtick as well as the unrelenting hyena tactics launched on anyone and everyone who disagrees with any of it even in the slightest.
Is that not what you just did to me for having just the slightest different view and wanting to " can we move on " to football instead of the constant bashing.

As far as the MD Honk, I just had to laugh, If you followed this board you would know I am a Mission Viejo fan and I am in the press box at almost every home game, that or I am on the field chatting with friends who might be on the sidelines. More than a MV fan I am a HS football fan. There are other teams I and my family follow.

Enough of this thread, no need to reply.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Round and round we go when it stops NOBODY knows..... :bonk:
giphy-4.gif
giphy-4.gif (186.97 KiB) Viewed 581 times

jb914

Post by jb914 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:19 pm

TheFan wrote:You guys are like my wife, know what I am thinking....
MD brings this onto themselves, what did they have in terms of 2017/18 transfer into their athletic programs ? I think it was 170 last year.
170? bzzzzzt.
MD had 72 total transfers for the entire school. quite a few are not even sports related TheFan.
https://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:43 pm

JB, the CIF does not track kids transferring in just for school. This season MD has 9 D1 junior or senior football transfers. Name a school other than IMG or other prep school.

Tony, I do not think you are a MD Honk, I am never going to stop talking about this, its a wrong today will be wrong 5 years from now. MV's Farm program is wrong too, at least it was in the district and pretended to be academics. Still wrong what that old fart was doing.

I agree, a retired buddy from the CIF office says something is going to give on this issue, next year will be the start.
They are working on changing the rules, look for something to happen by spring.

If you want to get to the top like MD expect the target on your back.... Right Sponge Bob.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:16 pm

TheFan wrote:MD brings this onto themselves, what did they have in terms of 2017/18 transfer into their athletic programs ? I think it was 170 last year.
TheFan, I respect much of what you post on this forum (and, you might be surprised to hear, actually agree with a lot of it), but this is the kind of hyperbole posted as fact that does nobody any good.

Mater Dei did not have 170 athletic transfers last year (i.e. 2017-18 school year). They had 71.
Of those 71, only 36 were boys.
Of those 36 boys, only 8 were football players.
And of those 8 football players, only 4 actually played - Zion Alefosio, Mase Funa, Samuela Tuihalamaka and Solomon Tuliaupupu.

I think you'll agree there's a big difference between 170 and 4, and it takes much of the credibility out of what may have otherwise been a good point that you were trying to make.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm

TheFan wrote:JB, the CIF does not track kids transferring in just for school. This season MD has 9 D1 junior or senior football transfers. Name a school other than IMG or other prep school.
I was pointing out the 'outta my arse' math that you spewed with the "170" remark. It wasn't that many and certainly, the majority of those that transferred were NOT for football.

There are transfers listed on CIF as "Received. Eligible due to non-participation". That's what I was referring too.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:00 am

Whatever you are pointing out does not change MD's business plan to win. It humors me, some say that the way it is to win (at least they recognize it), others pretend to deny what MD has become.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 am

Post by TheFan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:00 am
Whatever you are pointing out does not change MD's business plan to win
I was just calling you out on the BS # of transfers you posted earlier sunshine. :D

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:54 am

Ok, I would offer you a snack, but I am sure your team has plenty...since they just got back from the Grab and Go...
when will your righteous self BS on that topic?