2018 Free agency

FBOC

Re: 2018 Free agency

Postby FBOC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 am

Ramon wrote:Wonder if BuckW is still indignant over transfers now that his SMEagles are in the game?

Unfortunately that's only one guy. It's a real head scratcher why someone from 60 miles away would come to SM. There is no where in the IE who has better skill position players than SM? Rancho Upland? I know Cen10 and Murrieta Valley already have qbs but SM really. I Don't get all the transfers to JSerra either. No real history of success and a coach who admitted he was out coached in more than one game.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am

Think this analogy has been discussed but JS being new to the games of late has the location. If they can get into the upper echelon of the Trinity League I bet many kids would love the location, the beach and the babes! Heck, :eh?: maybe CDM should secede from Newport Mesa Unified and go Private!

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

Actually the JS location and campus are not the plus one would think. It isn't the pain in the rear to get to in the way that SM is, the exit ramp there is terrible and it is pretty far south in the county with no great access to nearby counties for additional support (the trek from Long Beach or the IE is a pretty good one). Mesa and Estancia are closer to the beach and that isn't exactly helping them. Having your campus be a couple office buildings isn't a big selling point either... You've got 3 other private schools within a few blocks from you, and a crowded campus with no real room to grow.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

TT- always wondered why Costa Mesa and Estancia don't have better athletic programs, Mesa
as the crow flies is just four miles to the ocean, Estancia is even closer with a great view near
the bluffs. The word is, every year, several of the good FB players(and other sports apparently)
that would go to Estancia just cross over the SA river and attend Edison, others go to private
school(s).

inflagrantedelicto

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Bongo, it may be "one note", but it rings so true that not even you can find a way to spin your way out. Sure, everyone loves to win, but at what expense? I'd ask the same of every Friars, Braves, Eagles, and Lions honk as well.

Can you Bongo, or the other MD honks on this board say with a straight face that you are sincerely proud of the way that MD came to be State/Mythical National Champs? Now that the FA floodgates have opened, an entire roster could be filled with "One-and-Doners". Would you then still puff out your chests and crow about "Our" Boys? Bottom line is these kids don't care about being a part of the school community, don't care what color uniform they wear, and aren't afraid to use the system and punk the schools' and teams' loyal followers on their way to becoming - not better people - but better athletes, looking only to cash in on the exposure the team's success brings. It's a shame that the state of HS sports has left us to root for kids we don't know, who are in it only for themselves, with loyalty only to the most recent best offer.
Percussus Resurgo

jb914

Postby jb914 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

MD honks on this board say with a straight face that you are sincerely proud of the way that MD came to be State/Mythical National Champs?

How many logins do you have on this board OC HSFB fan?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm

inflagrantedelicto wrote:Source of the post it rings so true that not even you can find a way to spin your way out

Spin my way out of what? Things change, it is what it is. You or I may not like it, but it's the way things are and will be. What will come of the constant whining about it?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Not at all happy about it. But receiving a freshman transfer is not the same as bringing in 4 and 5 star senior transfers. This kid will be able to get on track for the graduation requirement of 4 years of religious education by taking a semester class this summer.

I hope Fisher sticks with the returning senior at QB. This new kid threw for 9 TDs with 7 int and 1291 yards at Chaparral. Not that impressive against much weaker competition. Right now he sounds like he needs a year on JV before ever sees the field on Friday nights.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Not sure if you guy are aware, Harris new Santa Margarita QB confirmed he wasn't playing 7on7 this season and will only be working with his personal QB coach to sharp his skills and will be attending various camps.

He threw for 12 Tds and 1,500 yds.. with only 46% completion and does have a long ways to go before he can make an impact in the Trinity League. He does have upside. But he's also going to need a support cast and I don't believe Santa Margarita has that to ease his play into the league.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 pm

So again why would he go 60 miles to a team with not many weapons?

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Inflagrant asked
Can you Bongo, or the other MD honks on this board say with a straight face that you are sincerely proud of the way that MD came to be State/Mythical National Champs?

I can say yes and here is why. For a decade MD would always come close to a championship but would always lose out
to a team that stacked the deck. Even at that MD was always one or two players away from winning always close but no cigar. It was difficult to watch quality teams with great coaching continually get beat out by bulked up teams.
So what was left but to play on an even field and what you see now is evenly stacked teams win with better coaching.
Servite would be happy to see their team win and they are not adverse to the transfer game along with SM,OLU,and JS.
So what would you do? Continually lose or do what now is the norm? If any of you can truthfully say I would field a team every year knowing I don't have a chance to win but I will play with all the neighborhood kids you have zero competitive
spirit. I guess it would be like putting in your time at the orphanage it takes a special breed.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:18 pm

watchersince68 wrote:Source of the post So what would you do? Continually lose or do what now is the norm?
There is a third and a fourth option.

Separate public and private schools, which only solves the problem for public schools, or,

Kick the offending teams out to freelance, and go on without them.

In either of those options, isolate them further by refusing to schedule them.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 pm

inflagrantedelicto wrote:Source of the post Would you then still puff out your chests and crow about "Our" Boys?

That thought, however fanciful, is just killing you, isn't it?

"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".
H.L. Mencken
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Maybe Harris' parents are impressed with the superior education their son will receive at SM or with how it worked out for KJ Costello the current starter at Stanford.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post There is a third and a fourth option.

Admit it already...it's time for stage 5...Acceptance

It's time to go with what worked for you the last time you were unable to compete with Mater Dei and other top programs...forget about the white whale on Bristol Street, step into the elevator shaft and set your sights on a Division Z league championship.

That's where you're headed anyway, so get on it already. Believe me, you'll feel better once you stop obsessing about things you can't control.
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Separate public and private schools, which only solves the problem for public schools...

It doesn't solve the problem for public schools at all. There are still those who recruit, encourage and attract transfers, like Corona Centennial, Upland, Norco, Calabasas and several others, and those that don't. All you've done is cut the problem in half.

Kick the offending teams out to freelance, and go on without them.

Can I assume it will be you and FriarJoe who get to generate the list of "offending teams" to be kicked out? How else would they be determined?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post Can I assume it will be you and FriarJoe who get to generate the list of "offending teams" to be kicked out? How else would they be determined?

I'm good with that. :mrgreen: Or how about a vote of officials from all the schools in the CIF SS?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm

That wouldn't work...everyone would vote to be in Servite's league
George Will

Donald Trump

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm

TommyTrojan wrote:Actually the JS location and campus are not the plus one would think. It isn't the pain in the rear to get to in the way that SM is, the exit ramp there is terrible and it is pretty far south in the county with no great access to nearby counties for additional support (the trek from Long Beach or the IE is a pretty good one). Mesa and Estancia are closer to the beach and that isn't exactly helping them. Having your campus be a couple office buildings isn't a big selling point either... You've got 3 other private schools within a few blocks from you, and a crowded campus with no real room to grow.

JS has superior facilities (on both sides of the street) and academics over two of the three privates mentioned, better sports programs than all three-and has plans for campus expansion on both sides (locker rooms/team rooms are being done at present). If they need more room they'll buy out Kaiser next door when the time's right.

Agree that the location is a minus for talent attraction purposes. (not as difficult as SM is). And while the exit ramp in the AM may be tough, you can exit 1 exit earlier and take side roads in that bypass all of the worst of it.

Viking93

Postby Viking93 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 am

Buck wrote:Mercenary dei at it again..... after getting curb stomped trying to win the ole fashion way by Bosco....they have jumped the shark so much that even the ultimate spinner MDDAD has disappeared, and poor Ramon is still telling himself that pride poise courage still means something.
23496DDD-1CA9-40D5-8F3B-4EB809D52FBF.jpeg

Mercenary Dei, Funny Stuff =D>

Return to “High School”